Thinking of doing hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weegirl10

Reaction score
Hi

I am a beauty therapist and at the minute i am thinking of doing hairdressing in september part time! I'm thinking of having it as a hobby - doing it at home sort of thing.

Do you think hairdressing is good money and as im thinking of doing it at home, is it a good idea?

Thank you

Hairdressing is an entire trade, not a hobby. In general people train for a couple of years to then come on here with an "EEK I've sodded up someones hair" thread.
For an awful lot of people, it is their big ambition, and they don't make it. Out of every 100 people starting training, 4 will become senior stylists.
It is a difficult trade to master, and yes it looks the easiest thing in the world when you're watching a pro.
There are lots of courses, evenings, weekends etc but be aware it will be a long while before you are ready to actually do hair, let alone for money!

There is alot of money to be made in Hairdressing. My other company Caledonian Therapy Academy run hairdresssing courses in Scotland all of our students so far have walked into jobs after training. Good luck with your studies x

Hi

I am a beauty therapist and at the minute i am thinking of doing hairdressing in september part time! I'm thinking of having it as a hobby - doing it at home sort of thing.

Do you think hairdressing is good money and as im thinking of doing it at home, is it a good idea?

Thank you

Me too! I'm in exactly the same boat as you.
I left school at 15 and got a job in a hairdressers just washing hair and doing the odd tint and shampoo and set. I left when I was 20 and did beauty. I'm just waiting for my interview at my local college. I'm sure it's good money if your good at it! Good luck :hug: x

It's good money when you have been doing it about 7 years. Before that it is minimum wage.

Ha ha, this thread is making me smile. Good money??

Like Persianista said, min. wage for a long time. Long hours, hard slog and slow financial reward for a long time. Then it's long hours, hard slog and then some financial reward.
Hairdressing is very competitive at the moment. Colleges are churning out sub-standard by the bucketful, salons are working on tight budgets with the recession. If I can't fill a position with a top notch stylist, I would rather leave it empty and work more hours myself.

Hairdressing is not a hobby and quite insulting to insinuate it could be. It is a career choice that is hard work and extremely skilful. I have spent my career correcting disasters that 'hobby' hairdressers have created.

Oh i can just imagine how many hairdressing hackles have been raised by the ' hobby ' comment.:irked:
No college course is comparable to hair salon experience .
To be a good hairdresser you have to be passionate about your trade, i eat sleep and dream hair. Your continued professional development is a subject that is vital to becoming and remaining a bang on hairdresser.
I would say it's better to be a master of one than a jack of all trades.

hmm I wonder how the nail geeks would feel if I said I was gonna do a quickie course to have a "dabble"!
I have made shedloads of money correcting "dabblers" hair bodge ups.

too the last two posts[especially persianista!],i gotta say u guyz r my heroes i couldnt hav said it betta myself:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:lllloooolll ha ha ya gota laugh:eek:

God i'm off out of here...think i'll stick to the beauty side lol

I knew I wanted to be a stylist when i was 13 yrs old, it was my passion & neva really cared bout what I'd make for money. 20 yrs of doing this it still is my passion (along with being a nail tech) & come to find out the money's pretty damn good:lol:. So I say, if it peaks ur interest give it a go, don't think about it money wise if u enjoy it, if ur good at it then the money can be good.:hug:

I think some are being slightly harsh on here as i dont see a problem in a lady who is in beauty who now wants to go onto hair. Of course the hobby thing wasnt too good but in general there is no law saying you cant do beauty and hair at the same time!

Im in the same boat i am starting my hairdressing course within a few weeks which is a 2 year + course along with salon experience. My passion is not hair....my passion is not beauty my passion is making people look and feel good.

Not harsh just truthfull!!!:irked:

I think some are being slightly harsh on here as i dont see a problem in a lady who is in beauty who now wants to go onto hair. Of course the hobby thing wasnt too good but in general there is no law saying you cant do beauty and hair at the same time!

Im in the same boat i am starting my hairdressing course within a few weeks which is a 2 year + course along with salon experience. My passion is not hair....my passion is not beauty my passion is making people look and feel good.

Just leave them to it chick. Some times people on her like to dig out others to make themselves feel better :irked:
Good luck wit your course!! :hug: x

Agreed. Thanks chick let me know what you decide with your course. x

Hey hun, you know what I was like that with nails I was thinking it would be a bit of fun and be realy easy to learn how ever,I fell in love with it and now do nails as well as hairdressing. I think it you should go for it you will ether fall in love and get a passion for it or you will try it for a few months decide its not for you and drop it completely. Hairdressing is no way a hobby I know you didnt mean to be offensive with the comment but its almost like saying well your job is easy peasy, not a real job, just a hobby, I know you didnt mean offence hun. I say go for it! You may just be at the start of an exciting new career you will never know unless you try!!xxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

Just leave them to it chick. Some times people on her like to dig out others to make themselves feel better :irked:
Good luck wit your course!! :hug: x

Ha ha. Now that is funny!

Hi

Thank you

Hi weegirl to me a hobby is something you do not get paid for doing ,

Did you mean you want to train first and then enjoy it as a hobby at home on nonpaying customers in order to gain plenty of experience and practice first ?

if this is what you meant...
then to be realistic and truthful you would be skipping an entire two years of essential
"on the salon floor experience"

I think you would be far better off going into a salon after your training
so you can hone and gain your essential salon floor skills that you will need before you start charging people

another option might be after your NVQ level two , to go straight into your NVQ level three,

Or....after your basic NVQ level 2 college training you could do some private advanced hair colouring courses and some private advanced cutting courses
then when you have practiced and honed these advanced skills you could start charging people,

good luck :) minky x

As those before me have said, there is too much work, time, and money put into this profession for it just to be considered a "hobby". There is a lot of money to make in this field but just like anything else you need to work your way up. The more experience and training you have, the more you advance, the more money you make. You don't want to go to school all that time for it just to be considered a "hobby". I've only been doing it professionally for about 3 and a half years and I am feeling frustrated right now because I'm at a point right now where I'm not going anywhere, I blame some of it on the lack of money people have, and my boss taking all the customers for himself. I just keep thinking to myself that the more I do, the better I'll be and the more money I'll make. I'm actually trying to get a spot in a busier salon so I can do just that. If you do decide to take classes, you'll see it's much more than a hobby, and plus you'll enjoy it too much =)

Latest posts

Back