thinking of taking shellac off my service menu

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Gelish so can't advise on Shellac but as regards to pricing I do a colour of the month - all colours are normally £25 and then I pick 1 colour each month to be the colour of the month and charge £15.

I find it encourages people to try the service, some come for the colour of the month but decide to have another when they see the range. Some only come for the colour of the month. Some have fingers and toes!

I have gained a lot of new customers from the colour of the month, I involve customers via my facebook page to choose the new colour and always create a buzz.

xx

I love love love this idea.

I don't do promotions or discounts etc but this is very clever.

Jacqui xx

I use Gelish so can't advise on Shellac but as regards to pricing I do a colour of the month - all colours are normally £25 and then I pick 1 colour each month to be the colour of the month and charge £15.

I find it encourages people to try the service, some come for the colour of the month but decide to have another when they see the range. Some only come for the colour of the month. Some have fingers and toes!

I have gained a lot of new customers from the colour of the month, I involve customers via my facebook page to choose the new colour and always create a buzz.

xx

Great idea. Shellac is almost 100% of my business at the moment.

Rather than discounting your prices why don't you offer it as an add on to your normal manicure services. All your work is done in a manicure do then it will just be your shellac application ( look at other other threads on here about possibly applying shellac before soaking nails though )

Also, promote it as the first step to healthy nails. I had a client that had peeling nails before she had shellac. At first her shellac would look perfect for 10 days but then start to chip on peeling nails. She can go 3 weeks now and thinks shellac is the best thing since sliced bread.

Another tip to help with aftercare is to give your client a pinkie of solar oil. They are really good value for money and don't cost the earth. I give a bottle to my clients when they first have shellac and keep larger bottles for retail. They always end up buying a larger bottle when the pinkie runs out.

I think supplying rubber gloves could be a good idea, although you still do not have proof they are following the after are, at least you have given them the best start

Rach x

i dont really think there's any point to soaking nails post shellac.

Hi I myself have tried and tested both Shellac, gelish and bio sculpture. My own nails are very thin and weak due to years of nail enhancements and Shellac does not last more than 5 days, the other two I get a minmum of 2 weeks out of.
I bought in the shellac rack in may 2010 when it was first launched and charged £15 with very few takers due to similar problems. I do know of some ladies that had theirs on for 3 weeks with no trouble but majority didnt last the week due to numerous things like their job or weak and peeling nails.
So after my rambling on I will get to the point :D I have now taken Shellac off of my list and added a gel polish which so far is doing much better.
I think it depends on the clients and the area as to what people will pay and who it suits so I would do what is best for my business hth

your shellac price should be 50% on top of your normal manicure price. So I charge £14 for a manicure, so my Shellac is £21. I'm having trouble selling it too, but I'm putting it down to the fact that I've pretty much just started out. I havent got a lot of clients to 'convert'. DONT devalue your Shellac to £12!!! You are just confirming the mindset that Shellac is a cheap product not a premium treatment!

Another tip to help with aftercare is to give your client a pinkie of solar oil. They are really good value for money and don't cost the earth. I give a bottle to my clients when they first have shellac and keep larger bottles for retail. They always end up buying a larger bottle when the pinkie runs out.

Rach x

I do this too!
Shellac is my biggest earner - I charge 16 for the first visit (20% off) then 20 - after five treatments they get one free - keep them coming back! I have the odd problem with chipping, but that's down to the individual.
I also wear it all the time!! I find a lot of clients choose the colour I'm wearing too!
Don't give up - its an amazing product!

Hey Sarah, don't give up! You have lots of really good advice here.
I am mobile too and offer my Shellac service at £20 for colour, £22.50 for French. This is file, cuticle work, Shellac and oil. I always give a pinky of oil to my first time clients and then retail it to them when they need more. I also give them an aftercare sheet to take home and always book their next appointment for a re-shellac.
If I do fingers and toes I offer a 'twin set' discount which makes the client feel like they are getting a better deal. I wear it all the time and have a couple of clients who are mobile hairdressers who wear it and carry my business cards when people ask about it. (I give them a discounted rate for promoting my work).
I also love the idea of the colour of the month, sounds brilliant!

I hope you manage to turn things around but to me, it sounds like you need to find some better clients who will love Shellac and care for it properly xxx get your work seen and they will find you xxx

xx

What a fantastic idea! I may borrow it when I start offering Shellac if you don't mind? :)

Ah thanks everyone! Am flattered you think my idea is good! By all means use it - that's what this site is all about, advice and sharing :) xx

dont give up shellac is my best selling treatment,i & my clients love it,i would never guarentee it for 2 weeks u just dont know how they are going to look after it. But i wear it myself and my hands are always in bleach,acidtone,tan and filling clients nails mine never chips ever:Dand to be honest it doesnt fade. make sure u are applying it in really thin coats,and have you thought about adding it to a specail package deal (e.g. shellac manicure,minx pedicure,etc for x £) once your clients tried it they will love it x

I'm sorry. I hate to sound like a witch but if anyone is not getting 2 weeks out of their Shellac.... something is terribly wrong in the application. Chips only happen under the following conditions: poor application, improper equipment use, repeated incorrect removal leading to excessive damage and nail plate dryness, exposure to harsh chemicals (such as bleach), previous thinning of the nail plate before application, and removal by force by the client.

If the clients nails are those that peel, keep them at a short enough length and use an extra coat of color. I usually start with Clearly Pink on nails such as these before applying two coats of color.

I never have anyone with excessive chipping anymore. Maybe a slight one here and there (only minuscule usually caused by hitting the nail against something) but this only happens a day or so before the 2 week scheduled appointment.

That being said, it hasn't always been that way. But I worked with my clients, did my homework, and fixed any problems that I had. Now... I can't tell u the success I've had.

So, the moral to the story is this... Keep ur head up..... Do not get discouraged... And learn from ur mistakes.

As far as pricing goes... U don't want penny pinchers anyway so charge what u r worth and deliver great results. Sometimes confidence is the only things that's lacking. A lot of people lie just to get a freebie so watch out for those and stick to your guns. GL!!!

Please get real with your prices guys, clients want value for money and charging £25 for Shellac is way too much! It's an amazing product and I honestly have'nt had any problems with it; nails do have to be in good condition however.
Its all about bums on seats in this economic climate, so if you really want clients to try it then be realistic with your prices, £18 is the absolute max that I would charge.
If you have problems then your CND supplier will give you technical advice on the phone,good luck.

So you charge 13.50 for a manicure?

hey geeks

I'm a newbie only launched this week. I charge £25 for my shellac manicure. This includes my normal scentsations manicure plus shellac application and free removal with every re shellac. My usual manicure is file, shape, cuticle work, moisture pack, hands moisturised wrapped and placed in mitts and hand and arm massage then polish. I personally wouldn't charge any less than this and I'm not in an affluent area. I factor in product cost, including shellac remover wraps, petrol costs and my time and I'm happy with my costs and my prospective:)D) profits. In my area prices vary from £20-£25 so yes I may be at the high end but I want to put the manicure with it. My normal manicure is £15 so Ive added more on the 50%.

For the first shellac I ever had done on myself, I didn't bat an eye lid at £25 and that was without the added extras from my manicure and whats more I drove further than I normally would because at the time I could only find one person in my area who did Shellac (have since found more since being on SG). I was also paying for a premium service.

I look at it this way too as someone once explained, to have a manicure weekly it would cost over two weeks £30, getting shellac means a saving of five pounds to the client. However much I love lumos it doesn't give that stunning shine of shellac and some people can't keep polish on for a couple of days, with shellac they've saved money, it still looks fab two weeks later and in most cases when cared for properly hasn't chipped. I've had my shellac on for well over a week now and they look great, still super glossy, so much so my little boy is afraid to touch them as he thinks mummy's nails are wet! My mum who is hard on her hands as she works in a cash office always breaks her nails and has nails that peel, she has had shellac on for two weeks and it hasn't budged. My sis has had a few chips but she tells me this is because she didn't follow my aftercare so accepts that shellac isn't invincable but still every two weeks I get a text or call to say when are you back home I need my shellac doing! I'm realistic with people to it lasts UP TO 14 days and aftercare must be followed.

I appreciate times are tough with money god knows my little family are having a nightmare at the minute, but I look at it this way, if I bring my prices down to get people to book me how am I helping my financial situation by making less profit in the long run.

With regards to taking it off your menu I wouldn't hun. I've been practicing with lots of different nail types to see how shellac holds up, I've put my own shellac through its paces and read through the threads on here for more information and tracked its progress, not because I didn't believe it wasn't as good as what everyone was saying it was, but because I wanted to be able to see how it performed and if there were any problems I could find out why and rectify them. That way I could be confident in shellac which means my clients can be too.

Sorry I've rambled and probably gone off topic a bit. It early in the morning and not sure what I've just rambled on about lol.

Love n hugs x x x

Last edited:
Are you doing the mani before shellac?

And what is a moisture pack?

hi hun

my shellac application is done before my manicure in as much as i do file shape cuticle work shellac application moisture pack moisturiser in mitts then hand and arm massage. Moisture pack is cuticle eraser and solar oil applied at same time. X x x

im still confused. i think maybe some punctuation would help haha

hi hun

my shellac application is done before my manicure, in as much as i do file, shape, cuticle work, shellac application, moisture pack, moisturiser in mitts then hand and arm massage. Moisture pack is cuticle eraser and solar oil applied at the same time. X x x

There that better hun? Ha ha it's early, I'm tired...... just went back and edited my last post too.

Latest posts

Back