To belnd or not to blend that is the question?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut the well out of my tips, taper the edge then slightly thin the edge and there beautiful. Practice is everything, attention to detail is the key (i belive) to the ulitmate perfection.

I was always taught to blend from the beginning. I have to say i never have a problem with doing this, i just cut out most of the well area if it is suitable to do so, apply tip, blend in the sides and the edge, without touching the natural nail. It does take a lot of skill to do this and i know it takes me a little longer than others as i want to be craeful when doing so.

When i have done loads of nails i know i will get alot quicker. I don't blend tips if doing P&W, but i still thin the tip so you don't get the ridge.

Yep I Blend - it takes no time when you practice and looks better the clients are always impressed when it disapears and becomes part of their natural nail....

Not saying i cannot blend but where i can i cut out the well... yes blending is a skill i agree and i am quite proud of my blending that i do, but what about the process of acheiving that skill? Years ago a technician filed a hole into my nail plate and it hurt... what if the tip has no well? just good to keep my options open and i prefer to cut out the well...

RAQUEL said:
Not saying i cannot blend but where i can i cut out the well... yes blending is a skill i agree and i am quite proud of my blending that i do, but what about the process of acheiving that skill? Years ago a technician filed a hole into my nail plate and it hurt... what if the tip has no well? just good to keep my options open and i prefer to cut out the well...
The Nail Trainer is the perfect device on which to learn to blend a tip. I make students paint in red, the 'nail bed' of the trainer. Every time they touch the 'red' painted portion of the nail whilst blending, one can see it loud and clear!! Any scratches they make would be nail plate damage.

Not until they can blend with out a speck of damage can they be said to be skiled at nail tip blending. Anyone can do this until an excellent skill level is reached.

geeg said:
The Nail Trainer is the perfect device on which to learn to blend a tip. I make students paint in red, the 'nail bed' of the trainer. Every time they touch the 'red' painted portion of the nail whilst blending, one can see it loud and clear!! Any scratches they make would be nail plate damage.

Not until they can blend with out a speck of damage can they be said to be skiled at nail tip blending. Anyone can do this until an excellent skill level is reached.
I have to say this is a great idea. My trainer actually taught us a similar thing when we were learning to file and angle our file. We had to paint a tip red then when it was dry file off the red evenly. You can then see how to angle your file to get into certain places, this to be used when smoothing product after L&P application. never thought of using the same technique for blending.

geeg said:

FANTASTIC TIP!!!!!

So ... to blend .. is it just (and i dont mean this to sound as though its simple lol) filing the tip to be level with the nail or do you do something else as well?

Jo xx

I am getting as little confused by all this to blend or not to blend. Now If I apply a french tip I cut most of the well out and once I have applied I blend in the little bit of well that is left, the white of the well disappears ans just leaves a nice sharp smile line. Is this correct as after reading what everyone says I am a bit confused?:confused:

Some of you are talking about blending (which means to thin out the contact area of the tip, after it has been adhered to the natural nail, until you can see right through it ... NOT until you have removed it completely).

And some of you are talking about thinning (which is done on the tip,after applying the tip, that has already had the well area removed prior to adhering it to the natural nail).

It is possible to do a little blending and a little thinning prior to application to the natural nail as well. This is known as pre-blending or pre-thinning.

....How do you cut the well out of the tip if you want to??? Not that I particularly do - I blend tips if and when I use them (prefer to sculpt) but just out of interest.

Speaking of having to use tips......

I have my favourite cannibal coming in tomorrow and she has very deeply curved nails that are a bugger to blend tips near the sidewalls cos they go down so deep - so any suggestions would be handy!

Looby;)

I use curved scissors or an abrasive, but I prefer curved scissors if I do it at all.

Read file control part 2

Oh, I thought I have to blend the tip, because it is then more "rougher"..and that the gel or powder does not adhere well to an unblended tip..(?)

Latest posts

Back