Toddler Food

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingertips ND

Brand New Mummy Geek
Reaction score
Ok guys I know this is way way way off topic but I need some help and as most of you are Mum's I thought you would be the best people to ask.

Emily is nearly 16 months now and she is not the best of eaters!!

The clinic tell me she is underweight but she is also very tall (off the scale in her book). I worry she doesn't eat enough but she lets me know when she is hungry.

Anyway, she won't let me feed her, she has to feed herself.

I like to cook things from scratch e.g. chicken nuggets, mini pizzas, fish fingers, etc. I am running out of things to make.

Have you any ideas/recipes for food she can feed herself e.g. finger foods that I can make myself and she can hold in her hand??

Thanks xxx

what about pasta ?, breadsticks, cheese straws ,
i make olivia scrambled eggs with cheese in to fill her up and make her put weight on , :lol:
i got the annabel karmel book and thats really good , olivia is not too fussy, well not as bad as james is anyway
but shes only little and am sure she is underweight but i cant make her eat anymore , she eats quite a lot for her her size

she eats those already dee I was thinking more like proper meal foods like nuggets, etc.

She has toddler diorreah since xmas now and i'm worried she'll just keep losing weight.

She won't eat scrambled eggs even with cheese.

I also have the Anabel Karmel books!

I used to cook carrot sticks with a little orange juice to add a little sweetness and Lorna loved them, penne pasta, broccoli (she still loves that).

She was very long as a baby and went over the range in weight and height they said I was feeding her too much - rubbish she was a bonny baby.

Anyway, cucumber sticks, cherry toms cut in half, cheese cut in cubes (not that mild dishwater stuff, extra strong), wafer thin ham or chicken - not that billy boy stuff which is absolutely full of SALT and other additives.

Dont worry about her eating "MEALS" at the moment, make food fun. Give her food off of your plate if she asks for it.

I used to tell Lorna that it was grown ups food and she wasnt allowed so that meant she wanted it more.

Chop up apples, oranges, grapes.

To this day Lorna loves a "picknic" as she calls it, olives, bread, meat, cheese, fruit, dips, veg., finger food that she can pick and choose herself and mix together as she likes, as well as proper food.

Please dont let the "experts" get you worried. Have little pots of food ready, try something new now and then and dont force it or get upset if she does not want it.

How about milk and small yoghurts or fromage frais.

She wont starve.

Foods that she can feed herself are all foods, it just depends on how fussy you are mess wise! :)

I would go with mozzarealla lasagne, spag bol, sweet and sour chicken, stir fry's, fish pie, etc etc

She doesnt have to be able to expertly feed herself to have it, my kids made a right mess when they were feeding themselves, but it has resulted in them being able to eat well and different foods!

With the spag bol though, use pasta shapes, such as penne, rather than spaghetti, which would be near impossible for her to eat and pick up!

Garlic muchrooms were a favourite, and stuffed peppers!

Just experiment with foods and if she doesnt like them the 1st time, dont give up on the food try again.

I know its hard hun, I remember how I used to be and then one day I thought sod it, they are kids for such a short time, let them try, sample, make a mess, and it benefited them in the long run!

Sorry for waffling!

xxxxx:hug:

Foods that she can feed herself are all foods, it just depends on how fussy you are mess wise! :)

I would go with mozzarealla lasagne, spag bol, sweet and sour chicken, stir fry's, fish pie, etc etc

She doesnt have to be able to expertly feed herself to have it, my kids made a right mess when they were feeding themselves, but it has resulted in them being able to eat well and different foods!

With the spag bol though, use pasta shapes, such as penne, rather than spaghetti, which would be near impossible for her to eat and pick up!

Just experiment with foods and if she doesnt like them the 1st time, dont give up on the food try again.

I know its hard hun, I remember how I used to be and then one day I thought sod it, they are kids for such a short time, let them try, sample, make a mess, and it benefited them in the long run!

Sorry for waffling!

I know what you mean, I have a lovely pic of mine asleep in a bowl of spag boll., its just the funniest thing!

I used to cook carrot sticks with a little orange juice to add a little sweetness and Lorna loved them, penne pasta, broccoli (she still loves that).

She was very long as a baby and went over the range in weight and height they said I was feeding her too much - rubbish she was a bonny baby.

Anyway, cucumber sticks, cherry toms cut in half, cheese cut in cubes (not that mild dishwater stuff, extra strong), wafer thin ham or chicken - not that billy boy stuff which is absolutely full of SALT and other additives.

Dont worry about her eating "MEALS" at the moment, make food fun. Give her food off of your plate if she asks for it.

I used to tell Lorna that it was grown ups food and she wasnt allowed so that meant she wanted it more.

Chop up apples, oranges, grapes.

To this day Lorna loves a "picknic" as she calls it, olives, bread, meat, cheese, fruit, dips, veg., finger food that she can pick and choose herself and mix together as she likes, as well as proper food.

Please dont let the "experts" get you worried. Have little pots of food ready, try something new now and then and dont force it or get upset if she does not want it.

How about milk and small yoghurts or fromage frais.

She wont starve.

She eats all things like veg and salad and loads of fruit but not proper meal type foods. Do you know a good pasta recipe?

Sorry for waffling!

Sounds fab - do you have any recipes??

It is just so hard because anything I make I have to make for one as Chris won't eat anything except meat. He is a nightmare.

I have spent so long looking after her diet not letting her eat too many sweet things, making foods from scratch myself, not letting her drink sugary juice just water and cleaning her teeth properly and last week at clinic the stupid cow said to me ' this child isn't getting enough calories. Veg and fruit is good but it isn't packed with calories for her. Get her on a choc mousse after her tea.' wtf??? I was furious!!!

Home made sausage rolls, pasta tossed in grated cheese and a tad of butter, stir frys, annabel karmels mini meatballs and spraghetti are my twos favourite, yorkshire puds and sausages, home made chips and cheese (weekend treat favourite here!!) cheese on toast, sandwiches!! Sandwiches cut into shapes with cookie cutters, my kids loved there pig shaped sarnies!!, fruit kebabs on a straw!! Pitta pockets, home made chunky soup with pitta to dip in, cut crusts off brad and roll the bread fill it with soft cheese and ham and roll it up like a wrap!! Pitta crisps...oooh could go on all day!!

Also remember that if a child refuses a food dont make a fuss but keep putting it on there plate when you next cook that particular food, sometimes it can take over 7 goes at being presented with a food before a child will try it.

pm me if you want recipes of anything chuck good luck xx

She eats all things like veg and salad and loads of fruit but not proper meal type foods. Do you know a good pasta recipe?

Keep it simple. is all I can suggest. Give her the same sauces that you eat but maybe blend them a little so they are not too lumpy, but dont remove the lumps alltogether.

Dont worry about meals just yet that is a thing our parents were brought up to do. Let her eat when she wants to at the moment, but have her sitting up at the table with you when the rest of the family is eating. Dont make a big thing of it, praise her when she eats something, dont make a big thing of it when she doesnt.

Mums get their knickers in a twist about food, I know I did till my neighbour, who was in her 90's and had 5 kids, a whole bunch of grand and great grandkids, gave me the same advice and it worked.

Kids pick up on your mood and if you are stressed out about it so will she be.

Honestly dont worry - she will get there in the end.

Hun i wouldn't worry to much, they only eat when they want and the ammount they want.
It's not nice to feel under pressure to feed them up it's just got to be fun for you both.
Try lots of different things, curry, veg sticks with anything, and just let her make a mess learning to feed herself, i used to laugh at the state the twins got in.

Annabell Karmel does books with meals for toddlers so that may help you with some ideas.

Good luck and don't worry :hug:

Last edited:
I feel so bad!

What with this diorreah and her not eating and clinic telling me she needs more calories!!

I feel it's my fault she won't eat!

Oh hun :hug:
Don't for one minute think bad of yourself, sometimes health visitors or dr's can put lot's off preasure on parents and they shouldn't.

If Emily is ill then we all know she may not feel like eating, that's not your fault and even when she isn't ill she may not be a big eater.

Sod them all hun and do as you wish, she's your baby.

Make eating fun, eat with her and play games with the food. She will learn from watching you. Don't stress cos you'll end up thinking about her eating all the time and you will loose out on all the fun you can have with her.

My twins were tiny born, 2lb 2oz and 1lb 14oz and being under weight hasn't done them any harm and they caught up fast enough.
It's more about the nutrients that they get from the food than the ammount of food they eat.

If when they say stuff to you just say she eats when and what she likes, i can't force food down her throat. She has a good diet by the sound of it and you are making her fresh food, good on you.

Enjoy being the great mummy you are :hug:

Thanks Mandy!

I stopped going to weigh in because I was sick of being constantly told 'this child is underweight'!!

I swear some of these professionals have no idea how to deal with mums.
Thankfully i have never had to deal with it but i have seen some mums who have.
Did you know you can get free vitamins now? If you get milk vouchers i think it says something on there but it may be worth looking into if she's picky then at least you know that she's getting the vitamins she needs and she can pick until her hearts content.

:hug:

I don't get milk vouchers hun

Spag Bol:
1 white onion fried, small knob butter
Carrotts (already boiled to soften about 7 minutes)
Fresh mince (my kids love beef pork and lamb in this)
Canned tomatoes
Veg stock
Tom puree
Pepper
If you want a bit more flavour, a dash of woceshter (sp?lol!) sauce
Penne pasta bolied 7 mins
DONE

Mozzarella Lasagne:
Onion fried small knob butter
Fresh mince, whatever you want, you can sub meat for Quorn, I do this 50% of the time, kids love it!
Canned toms
Fresh pasta sheets
Veg stock
Chopped toms
mozzarella cheese sliced
layer up in dish

I add loads of different stuff to mine like peppers, leeks, herbs, red onion for a sweeter taste, teaspoon of bisto for me and hubby for a bit more flavour, I find it has too much salt for the kids!

Theres 2 to get you going with!
With the fresh pasta, I cant find my recipe for it, but its Jamie Oilivers one and its so easy, a pasta machine is cheap enough aswell to buy! Or you can buy fresh from supermarkets!

Also try stuff like Blueberries, strawberries, banana, mango, raspberries all cut up in yoghurt, always a fav with my 2, even though they are bigger now!

I don't get milk vouchers hun
Well you could still ask you dr or just get some from boots.
We used Abidec, but the liquid stinks and tastes foul so try and get it in another form if you decide on vitamins.

Spag Bol:
1 white onion fried, small knob butter
Carrotts (already boiled to soften about 7 minutes)
Fresh mince (my kids love beef pork and lamb in this)
Canned tomatoes
Veg stock
Tom puree
Pepper
If you want a bit more flavour, a dash of woceshter (sp?lol!) sauce
Penne pasta bolied 7 mins
DONE

Mozzarella Lasagne:
Onion fried small knob butter
Fresh mince, whatever you want, you can sub meat for Quorn, I do this 50% of the time, kids love it!
Canned toms
Fresh pasta sheets
Veg stock
Chopped toms
mozzarella cheese sliced
layer up in dish

I add loads of different stuff to mine like peppers, leeks, herbs, red onion for a sweeter taste, teaspoon of bisto for me and hubby for a bit more flavour, I find it has too much salt for the kids!

Theres 2 to get you going with!
With the fresh pasta, I cant find my recipe for it, but its Jamie Oilivers one and its so easy, a pasta machine is cheap enough aswell to buy! Or you can buy fresh from supermarkets!

Also try stuff like Blueberries, strawberries, banana, mango, raspberries all cut up in yoghurt, always a fav with my 2, even though they are bigger now!

Brill - thanks hun!!

ღMandyღ;723215 said:
Well you could still ask you dr or just get some from boots.
We used Abidec, but the liquid stinks and tastes foul so try and get it in another form if you decide on vitamins.

I'll go to Boots!! x

Latest posts

Back