Toenails cracking, very dry, splitting & peeling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franjess

Reaction score
Some first time clients have been coming in for Pedicures and their toenails are cracking peeling splitting & very dry. I notice that when clients use frosted polish it seems to dry out the nails more, have you noticed this? Even with base coat on. What else can be causing this? Besides diet and their health. I don't know what they use but I use OPI & Essie, CND. Some haven't used polish all winter. Could waring tennis shoes & their feet sweating losing moister from their nails cause it or constant nails rubbing againt shoes?

Last edited:
Some first time clients have been coming in for Pedicures and their toenails are cracking peeling splitting & very dry. I notice that when clients use frosted polish it seems to dry out the nails more, have you noticed this? Even with base coat on. What else can be causing this? Besides diet and their health. I don't know what they use but I use OPI & Essie, CND. Some haven't used polish all winter. Could waring tennis shoes & their feet sweating losing moister from their nails cause it or constant nails rubbing againt shoes?

Absolutely!! You know nail polish can actually add protection to nails so clients should wear it winter or summer AND use cuticle oil on their toes as well as their fingernails.

What will be perfect for people like this will be the new Shellac from CND. It offers the amazing protection of a gel, but the thin colour of polish, and is resistant to chipping and the rubbing thin that you get with polish. You have to have a look at it. x

Thanks Gigi, I've already been looking into going to the Shellac atack here. I can't wait. I have clients already lined up for it.

Thanks Gigi, I've already been looking into going to the Shellac atack here. I can't wait. I have clients already lined up for it.

Me too !!

I am wearing Shellac at the moment .... all I can say is that you are going to love it. Not a chip not a scar no change in the original look in over a week. I have never worn gloves .. do all the household chores without them .. and still perfect. The most amazing thing is that I removed enhancements and applied Shellac.

Normally most of my nails would break within a week of removing enhancements ... I haven't broken any this time because the protection and flexibility of Shellac is amazing, even though it seems as thin as polish!! So I am sporting my own natural nails for the first time in years; just short and tidy. They are growing like crazy too (first time they've been 'up for air' in a long time !! :biggrin:).

Another thing lol ! My nails are normally ridgy (an age thing) and my mothers were too. Nicely shaped, but these vertical ridges. In the past with polish the ridges have always shown through the polish. With shellac, I can't see a single ridge so the surface is gorgeous and smooth like really nice nails should be.

I think for people who have enhancements removed, if the credit crunch is getting too much or for whatever reason, Shellac is going to be an amazing service they can afford and that will keep their nails looking amazing and beautiful.

Me too, I just have the one fingernail shellaced as i got it done at the Irish Beauty Show where it was being launched, i ordered my kit that day and i cannot wait to get it because bar some regrowth, it is absolutely perfect, i am quite hard on my hands and there is not so much as a scratch on it, im not taking it off until i really need to as i want to see just how long it will go for usually my natural nail kind of peel at the top and then break but this nail has withstood everything so far! Even if people think i'm slightly mad with one pink fingernail!!

I cant wait to try it on toes as id say it'll last so long.

Me too !!

I am wearing Shellac at the moment .... all I can say is that you are going to love it. Not a chip not a scar no change in the original look in over a week. I have never worn gloves .. do all the household chores without them .. and still perfect. The most amazing thing is that I removed enhancements and applied Shellac.

Normally most of my nails would break within a week of removing enhancements ... I haven't broken any this time because the protection and flexibility of Shellac is amazing, even though it seems as thin as polish!! So I am sporting my own natural nails for the first time in years; just short and tidy. They are growing like crazy too (first time they've been 'up for air' in a long time !! :biggrin:).

Another thing lol ! My nails are normally ridgy (an age thing) and my mothers were too. Nicely shaped, but these vertical ridges. In the past with polish the ridges have always shown through the polish. With shellac, I can't see a single ridge so the surface is gorgeous and smooth like really nice nails should be.

I think for people who have enhancements removed, if the credit crunch is getting too much or for whatever reason, Shellac is going to be an amazing service they can afford and that will keep their nails looking amazing and beautiful.

I'm going to do my toes this afternoon .. I'll let you know how they go but I know already. I've only got 2 colours because samantha is being mean with me until after the EVENT but I'll make do :biggrin:... I have Tutti Fruity and a corally red that I can't remember the name of (like the old Tropinkal). :biggrin:

How much should I charge for a set of shellac? I charge $55 for UV Gels with extentions. Do you do refills every two weeks or remove it and redo?

How much should I charge for a set of shellac? I charge $55 for UV Gels with extentions. Do you do refills every two weeks or remove it and redo?

Remove and redo. shellac removes quickly and easily after 2 weeks .. if clients leave it longer than that removal will take longer ... in any case a manicure that lasts perfectly for two weeks is going to have a fairly large regrowth area and need doing.

As for price, Fran, CND have done all the work for you and have a complete break down of prices that you should charge depending on the type of salon you are in, treatments per bottle etc (they know what nail techs want to know :biggrin:) .. all the info will be available to you soon. xx

Thanks Gigi good to know.

Remove and redo. shellac removes quickly and easily after 2 weeks .. if clients leave it longer than that removal will take longer ... in any case a manicure that lasts perfectly for two weeks is going to have a fairly large regrowth area and need doing.

As for price, Fran, CND have done all the work for you and have a complete break down of prices that you should charge depending on the type of salon you are in, treatments per bottle etc (they know what nail techs want to know :biggrin:) .. all the info will be available to you soon. xx

Hi Geeg

Can I just ask about the shellac, im very excited about this comingout and cant wait. I love the colour. I am a nail biter and only grow my nails when I have gel or l & p on them so they are very week as not used to be left to grow. Does shellac give you some strength as well so you can grow your own nails, just a little length would be good for me. THanks. Abi

Latest posts

Back