too busy....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma's nails

Reaction score
well, as many of you will know, i only really started doing nails beginning of this year. i jumped in at the deep end and did my foundation CND then advertised mobile. well, i have a 2 year old so being mobile is easy for me, however, about 4-5 months ago i started to rent a space in a salon (just one day a week) so can carry on being a full time mum, and do nails for "pocket money". now i've got so busy that i'm finding it difficult to balance the 2, and to top all that, i moved last week so now i've got a whole house and huge garden to tend to aswell (the whole place needs redoing!!!).

i only do a friday in the salon, and when i went in today, the owner seemed really p****d off that i only do one day a week (thats what we agreed on at the start), so she took if of her own back to book clients in whenever and booked them in on other days, expecting me to just drop everything and go in. well, i felt really bad for saying i couldn't do them, so now i have to phone them all and re-arrange. its all made me feel like i cant cope and i feel like chucking it all in, but then i think to myself how good i've got in a year and i've built up a really good clientell now. i'm in a bit of a muddle, no where to turn. juggling a family and work and house is so hard, how do you find a balance. help. advise needed before i do something drastic.

Awww poor you! Can't really give you any advice on balancing things as I haven't really gotten to that stage yet but I'm sure you'll find a solution. All the best babes, try not to fret xxx

Dont pack it all in - youve worked too hard!!!
Why Dont you ask your boss for a meeting & talk to her about how you are feeling - you never know she might feel really bad for what she did & she might have thought she was doing you a favour!!
Hope everything goes ok for you xxx

Chin up honey, it great your services are liked and that you have stuck to your guns.

While you are happy with doing one day a week and that was the deal the salon owner should not have booked in more on another day! That is cheeky.
Do what your happy with, get your new home just how you want it and when babes are at nursery or school and you feel ready to do more days go for it.

Well done to you xx

if i was you id pack in the salon and just do mobile that way you can choose when you work and when your little one is older then try salon work again.By working in a salon the owner wants to draw people in and get business and wants you there working i take it the more your there the more rent you pay her.I tried salon work last year and found it stressfull with juggling 3 kids school runs pick ups etc would like to try it again when the kids are older.You sound stressed about it is it really worth it

As Kay said, I would give up the salon - afterall it is only one day a week which is obviously not going to be ideal for the salon if the demand is greater. You no doubt have enough mobile clients to look after and to keep you more than ticking over so there is no need to continue with what is too much. The mobile arrangement is totally in your control then. You have done well and congratulations so don't fret, stay in control and have a great Xmas!

Hiya just wanna say I think you should quit the salon space because you don't need that extra hassle and your obviously doing brilliant with the mobile business so I would stick to that, cause you can decide when you want to work!!

Keep your chin up.... Have a good Xmas!!

Katy x

Hi Emma I am also a mum of a 2 year old and in the same position as you, except that I do mobile and don't work in a salon (yet). Wanted to be a full time mum and also do beauty and nails as a part time career.

I too am also extremely busy, esp. this week. Best advice I can give you is schedule your time. Perhaps if you do mobile put a line through the dates you don't want to work, even if asked. Also tell them you only want to work one day until your little one is older. I am sure they will understand.They probably want the money from your table rental that's all.

Put a list of things together you need to do and prioritise. Sounds also like you need to CHILL and have a nice bath or something. Make time for yourself girl. And forget the garden it's winter (I do its a great excuse and one less job to do!!)

HTH XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxx

tinkywinky said:
Hi Emma I am also a mum of a 2 year old and in the same position as you, except that I do mobile and don't work in a salon (yet). Wanted to be a full time mum and also do beauty and nails as a part time career.

I too am also extremely busy, esp. this week. Best advice I can give you is schedule your time. Perhaps if you do mobile put a line through the dates you don't want to work, even if asked. Also tell them you only want to work one day until your little one is older. I am sure they will understand.They probably want the money from your table rental that's all.

Put a list of things together you need to do and prioritise. Sounds also like you need to CHILL and have a nice bath or something. Make time for yourself girl. And forget the garden it's winter (I do its a great excuse and one less job to do!!)

HTH XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxx
shame us three dont live near each other.... same boat!!!! :confused:

first thing you need to do emma is tackle your boss or whoever she is. she can't just book extra days in without consulting you first....what planet is she on!!

Once that is sorted, stick to your guns and work out your priorities and work around this. As far as your new house goes, just do a little at a time, it's not going to go anywhere...lol. If your like me you want everything done yesterday but keep your cool and you'll manage jsut stick to a routine.

Good luck,x

I would go with ...... what does your heart want more? To have a flourishig business or be a full time mum? And then put all you have into the decision you've made :hug:

xxxx

I am a Mum of 2 year old son. I did give up the salon cause it's really stressfull for me. I work from home and sometimes I only get 1 customer per day after hours, Im happy with it. I do mobile on Sunday and my husband look after him. I just start my business 2 months ago and still building up my clientelle. Everytime I have customer I let my play his game or get something to do. You've done so well, well done.

just a quickie....if it was me i would do one of two things......1 - find somewhere else to rent for ne day a wek where you are in control or 2- sit down with her and have an honest heart to heart so that you both know where each other is comming from and find a deal to settle on which you are both happy with. xxooo

Rose143 said:
I would go with ...... what does your heart want more? To have a flourishig business or be a full time mum? And then put all you have into the decision you've made :hug:

xxxx

i'm with rose on this one, your at a crossroads and you need to decide which way to head out.

good luck with your decision

Hi Emma,

Ok, I'm totally with you on this one!! I have 2 children, a 3 year old and a 7 month old. I also have a house, a husband and an overgrown garden plus my own business to run!!! Seems like we've got everything in common!

I have been a nail tech for 6 years and I have been self-employed for 4 of those. At this time of year I don't have time to fart (sorry for lowering the tone girls!) let alone have any 'me' time. I don't have a lunch break most days and to be sat in the same chair for some days 12 hours at a time is certainly not healthy. I have back problems and neck problems because of it which spills over to my family life.

My husband works really hard too so I can't even moan to him. He just says that I bring all on myself. And he's right! Because I have a problem with turning people away. I am always thinking "Oh, it's only another hour and a can pay a bill with that money".

Don't get me wrong, I love what I do otherwise I'd go and work in a chippy or something but everything we have to deal with on a daily basis is enough to make anyone's head spin.

Once you've dealt with work you've got washing and ironing to do, cleaning, feeding the kids and the husband before you fall in bed shattered!!! To get up the next day and start all over. Then there's still presents to buy and wrap!!! I really do understand how you're feeling hun. Here's a great big :hug: from me cos I know all you probably want to do is cry.

I actually went out the other night and didn't want to come back as I thought I was having a mental breakdown! Nip it all in the bud now before it get's to the stage that I've let it get to. The problem is I can't lose the money (I'll probably lose my sanity first!) so after xmas I've got to work another day (I already work 4 days) but at least if they're spread out it may not be so stressful.

In my opinion, get xmas out of the way because you're head will be much clearer when all the present buying has stopped and ask yourself what you can honestly deal with. It is hard, but remember - be honest! Only you know what is best for you because only you know your situation.

Sorry for the essay but I hope you understand that you are not on your own and all us geeks are here for you to moan at. (Trust me, we're better than men ;) !!!) Take care and I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you and your family.

Latest posts

Back