Took my CV for a job and I'm now gutted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha what a stupid thing to consider doing to loose weight, you should be confident no matter what size you are.

I'd employ an overweight person over a smoker any day

If losing weight was that easy then we'd all be the weight we want. To say to someone "maybe try losing weight to increase your employment options" is a bit flippant in my opinion.

Feeling good has to come from inside. I have been slim with low confidence and bigger with fairly good confidence. If confidence can only depend on a persons size then I think that's a shame because there's more to a person than that.

Have just come in and read all the posts.

The attitude of this salon owner/ manager is the reason why many women are unwilling to enter a salon and book a treatment, let alone work there!
I have no doubt, whatsoever, that her prejudices will transmit to prospective clients.

As for you CC, I am incandescent! I want to march in and speak very quietly and coldly to her! You may guess what I would say.

You are lovely. Of course you're not fat, but you know that, I hope.

(That woman is going in our book. She will have a whole chapter.)

Thank you very much :) I completely agree with what you say.

Yes she will go in our book along with me smothered in cake :lol:.

She was disgusting creature she really was.xx

And how would you determine who was 'overweight' would you pull out your tape measure or BMI chart?

salon owner here.

Size = irrelevant.
Skill & personality are what I look for.

I had a girl recently who I would guess was a size 16 , she was only with me for about 2 months and left because she wasn't up to the job.

To me, to judge someone on their size is a stupid, short sighted bigoted reason not to give someone a job but heyhoo if they are that shallow you're better off not lowering yourself by working there anyway.

Good luck in your job search Colleen.:hug:

Thanks Rinn weight is irrelevant isn't it I mean Im good at what I do and that should be all that matters.

Hopefully the job search will go well some when but so far I'm to fat and to old lmfao x:hug:

I have no doubt that the right job is out there for you Colleen, you just gotta go through the crappy bits first and then BAM...You land the perfect job!

You are not fat, old or anything other than a talented, funny, warm human being.

oh gawd,if that happened to you,i'm in trouble...probably best that i go hide in a cave with a shedload of kit kat chunky's and a bucket of Tia Maria! colleen, your a beautiful person inside and out, your humour and most importantly talent will shine through and some lucky salon owner out there will land themselves a gem of an employee. what a nasty, horrible, disgusting and downright dangerous thing to say, especially to someone who is already slim!!! i'm a fit and healthy size 16 ish, have no problems sizewise other than getting clothes from my favourite shop to fit around 'my girls' (look down my top and its like the mitchell brothers having a fight lol), i'd like to think that any prospective employer of me won't judge me on my lack of being able to fit into a 10 year olds clothes, would rather they judge me on my ability to send my clients out looking and feeling fabulous. i'll join you on the shop window thing babe, think of what a mess we could make with a few fudge doughnuts and a steak bake xxx

See this is how I see it to sometimes I'm a 12 in clothes from certain shops and sometimes a 14 I can walk for miles and class myself as not fat I'm very curvy have big boobs big ass thin ish tummy I'm ok with that.

Lmfao please do join me :lol: just thinking about that has made me cry with laughter yes the steak bake would top it all off one on each boob lol xxx

Sorry, I was not suggesting this but accents, tattoos and piercings can put off certain salons. This not considered discrimination apparently you cannot get a job even at next with a visable tattoo or body piercing. Cruise ships won't employ you either, with tattoos.

I don't want to work on a cruise ship or in next.I have lots of tattoos and piercing on my face.

2years ago I was a size 6-8 always had been skinny and I was never happy ever being skinny was not enough I wanted to be skinnier.I'm now healthy and have excepted that this is me and I like my body more now than I ever have

And how would you determine who was 'overweight' would you pull out your tape measure or BMI chart?

Well I kinda think you can usually tell by looking at someone if they are "overweight" and I'm not talking within the parameters if a BMI chart.. And before you try and get the moral high ground I used to be a 16 1/2 stone size 20 chain smoker WITH tattoos and piercings

Id employ a overweight smoker over someone so obsessed with their looks they looked at them self in the mirror more than the clients hair.

I will say that personally I had more confidence slimmer, but I will disagree that slimmer people are more confident. My mum was super skinny a while back, around a size 6, and she now has 100 times more confidence now she's a 12-14. My cousin was in age 12 clothes at 18 years old, when she reached a size 14 she was at her most confident, now in size 24 she is less confident, but that's due to the excessive facial hair brought on by her pcos because of her weight, not that her size is
Causing her lack of confidence.

I have a tattoo, its on my wrist, chosen for its visibility. I chose its location because the tattoo means people ask what the symbol means and I can possibly save someone's unborn child losing its life like my cousin's did. If I was told I couldn't have a job because of a 2.5 cm long symbol I would laugh. And yes I have worked under an ex next manager, who tried to impose the next "philosophy" on me, and no I didn't cover it up, had warnings over it... Laughed in his face.

I would find it quite amusing if everyone was skinny and looked like x celebrity. Where is individuality? People's personality? I love to see different shapes, size's and looks about. Agreed I may not think all are the best, and agree that obese people don't look good. I bilieve they could lose it with some hard work. But if they are happy, not causing me harm, and have friends who love them regardless then why do I give a flying?
Xoxo

I have no doubt that the right job is out there for you Colleen, you just gotta go through the crappy bits first and then BAM...You land the perfect job!

You are not fat, old or anything other than a talented, funny, warm human being.

Thank you so much that's a very sweet thing to say :hug: xxx

Id employ a overweight smoker over someone so obsessed with their looks they looked at them self in the mirror more than the clients hair.

I will say that personally I had more confidence slimmer, but I will disagree that slimmer people are more confident. My mum was super skinny a while back, around a size 6, and she now has 100 times more confidence now she's a 12-14. My cousin was in age 12 clothes at 18 years old, when she reached a size 14 she was at her most confident, now in size 24 she is less confident, but that's due to the excessive facial hair brought on by her pcos because of her weight, not that her size is
Causing her lack of confidence.

I have a tattoo, its on my wrist, chosen for its visibility. I chose its location because the tattoo means people ask what the symbol means and I can possibly save someone's unborn child losing its life like my cousin's did. If I was told I couldn't have a job because of a 2.5 cm long symbol I would laugh. And yes I have worked under an ex next manager, who tried to impose the next "philosophy" on me, and no I didn't cover it up, had warnings over it... Laughed in his face.

I would find it quite amusing if everyone was skinny and looked like x celebrity. Where is individuality? People's personality? I love to see different shapes, size's and looks about. Agreed I may not think all are the best, and agree that obese people don't look good. I bilieve they could lose it with some hard work. But if they are happy, not causing me harm, and have friends who love them regardless then why do I give a flying?
Xoxo

So the girl we trailed who struggled standing to blow dry for 40 mins you would give her a job? Just saying.. Nothing to do with being obsessed with dress size but everything to do with having a healthy happy team.
Although its madness to turn someone down without giving them a chance to change your mind

Thanks Rinn weight is irrelevant isn't it I mean Im good at what I do and that should be all that matters.

Hopefully the job search will go well some when but so far I'm to fat and to old lmfao x:hug:

Oh god, you are way too old to be in this industry!
Even age is irrelevant. As long as your not at risk of breaking a hip, or anything like that (remember a heart attack can come at any age, be you old, young, fat, skinny, healthy,
Unhealthy) then as long as you are willing to work the hours set and job asked of you then I would take on a 90 year old of he or she were able to do the job and wanted to do the job. Xoxo

So the girl we trailed who struggled standing to blow dry for 40 mins you would give her a job? Just saying.. Nothing to do with being obsessed with dress size but everything to do with having a healthy happy team.
Although its madness to turn someone down without giving them a chance to change your mind

Yes, if she struggled then its her problem not mine, as long as her work was of good standard, was willing to stand there and do the job then I would have kept her. Xoxo

Yes, if she struggled then its her problem not mine, as long as her work was of good standard, was willing to stand there and do the job then I would have kept her. Xoxo

Thing is she had to keep sitting down, was sweating profusely and clients kept asking if she was ok. Lol

Thing is she had to keep sitting down, was sweating profusely and clients kept asking if she was ok. Lol

Oh and it was a short hair blow dry which would have taken most people 20 mins ;)

Oh god, you are way too old to be in this industry!
Even age is irrelevant. As long as your not at risk of breaking a hip, or anything like that (remember a heart attack can come at any age, be you old, young, fat, skinny, healthy,
Unhealthy) then as long as you are willing to work the hours set and job asked of you then I would take on a 90 year old of he or she were able to do the job and wanted to do the job. Xoxo

Lol well there is a chance I could break a hip,remember im old and fat :lol:.My last job I was working on average 62 and a half hours a week Monday to Sunday I'm hard working so they missed out didn't they :lol: xxxx

I don't want to work on a cruise ship or in next.I have lots of tattoos and piercing on my face.

I think it's that then, not the size. It's the piercing and tattoos, companies can legally discriminate against too. I know I'm going to get it but the truth is alot of people find that off putting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was served by a supervisor in next today with a large tattoo going up her arm, she as wearing a sleeveless top. She was perfectly groomed and very helpful. I know next are meant to be really strict but obviously not so much anymore.

I have tattoos. I cover them up for work. Me having tattoos does not impact on my ability to be great at what I do. But they are personal to me and not something I like to discuss with clients! When I'm not working then I wear what I like and show off what I want to show off.

I'm not sure where accent comes into it...you can't really help what region you come from...I've a Dublin accent which is definitely not a posh accent!

Latest posts

Back