Took my CV for a job and I'm now gutted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go egg (or brick) the windows colleen, there loss your beautiful even if you don't weigh the required 3 stone lol xx

Funnily enough this topic was being discussed on This Morning today.
A 25 stone female claimed she was being turned down for jobs because of her weight.
Katie Hopkins(the obnoxious self publicist from The Apprentice) was stating the case from a small business employers point of view, which was that she would not employ obese people as the knock on health problems from being obese would mean more sick leave would be taken by them, and her business could not afford that.

Obviously this is not the same as our little Coleens predicament, but this is going to be an issue as more and more people these days are overweight and obese and the job market becomes more and more competitive.
Why would you not lose weight in order to become more employable if you felt that was the only reason you were losing out on jobs?

Funnily enough this topic was being discussed on This Morning today.
A 25 stone female claimed she was being turned down for jobs because of her weight.
Katie Hopkins(the obnoxious self publicist from The Apprentice) was stating the case from a small business employers point of view, which was that she would not employ obese people as the knock on health problems from being obese would mean more sick leave would be taken by them, and her business could not afford that.

Obviously this is not the same as our little Coleens predicament, but this is going to be an issue as more and more people these days are overweight and obese and the job market becomes more and more competitive.
Why would you not lose weight in order to become more employable if you felt that was the only reason you were losing out on jobs?

Exactly. It's all about self image. By no means is Colleen "unhealthy and fat" that's silly but it's a fact that overweight people and smokers have more sick days then slim or non smokers..it's true because I read it on google lol ;)

Funny I have been in courses and seen really fat therapists, seriously there was one memorable one that 3 of the girls easily topped 20 stone. Being a good therapist is what counts, although it helps to be slim. The only thing that is a no no for image in a salon as clients moan is chavy/common therapists sorry but it does cheapen the ambiance of upmarkets spa or salon, clients do not like it. I speak from experience, you will find upmarket hairdressers do not like to employ chavs either you have to relate to the clientele. Vidal sasson even took elecution lessons, so keen was he for an upmarket clientele, sorry on my phone spell check is not good!

I'm not chavy/common

I'm not chavy/common

I'm sure no one said you were think its all gone off on a tangent xx
I'm not chavvy but I'm certainly common after a few lambrini ;)

Don't take it the wrong way but are you sure she was referring to your weight??
Do you smoke or anything which might have made her assume you were unhealthy?? What were you wearing?
I'm just so shocked someone could say this that I'm trying to find other reasons she may have been that way?

She said we employ people who are slim.I was wearing smart trousers and a smart top with a blazer high shoes hair pristine and make up applied.

There wasn't a vacancy for me there because I'm not slim

She said we employ people who are slim.I was wearing smart trousers and a smart top with a blazer high shoes hair pristine and make up applied.

There wasn't a vacancy for me there because I'm not slim

Disgusting! U are slim!

Go egg (or brick) the windows colleen, there loss your beautiful even if you don't weigh the required 3 stone lol xx

I'll do better than that I'll go to greggs and buy loads of junk and sit on there door step stuffing my big fat face full of cake I will then smear the leftovers all over my naked body and press my big fat size 12-14 body up against there windows lol.

Thank you for being so kind xxx

Yes Colleen, your thread is no longer about you lol.....we have taken your topic and run with it!
Employers at the end of the day will hire people for all sorts of reason, and will not hire them for ridiculous reasons too!
Of course there is legislation to stop employers discriminating on grounds of race, religion, gender and age, and rightly so.
But....where does this stop?
Smokers like overweight/obese people are also at risk of more illness and sick days off, what about them ?
Surely the important factor here is you can't change the colour of your skin or gender, but you can lose weight and stop smoking ;)

I'll do better than that I'll go to greggs and buy loads of junk and sit on there door step stuffing my big fat face full of cake I will then smear the leftovers all over my naked body and press my big fat size 12-14 body up against there windows lol.

Bless you and your wicked sense of humour, that's the spirit! :hug:

Interesting that as yet no Salon owners have posted their views :twisted:

Interesting that as yet no Salon owners have posted their views :twisted:

I totally agree with you izzidoll it would be interesting to know what they feel on this matter and weather they have turned anyone away for size x

Well done for taking it and now making fun of what happened rather than being down.
The only time I think it would be acceptable to turn someone down for their weight would be when their tummy is bigger than their arms and they can't reach the client, otherwise why would it be a problem?
Where I am we're not skinny... We're all damn good at our job, and we have clients who would feel uneasy in salons like you described. There are even some first time spray tan clients who haven't had one because they feel uncomfortable stripping down infront of someone so skinny, so let it work in your favour!!! Xoxo

Im so shocked someone could come out with something like that. Thats vile!
Dont let it get you down and just know something better will be around the corner and hey! maybe the staff there will have more respect :)

xx

Well done for taking it and now making fun of what happened rather than being down.
The only time I think it would be acceptable to turn someone down for their weight would be when their tummy is bigger than their arms and they can't reach the client, otherwise why would it be a problem?
Where I am we're not skinny... We're all damn good at our job, and we have clients who would feel uneasy in salons like you described. There are even some first time spray tan clients who haven't had one because they feel uncomfortable stripping down infront of someone so skinny, so let it work in your favour!!! Xoxo

You gotta laugh or you would cry :Scared: lol only joking.I'm more disgusted with it all she made out as if I was a bloody walrus lol.Hey ho the job search continues lol.It's true I don't see how un naturally stick thin people are healthy either xxx

Omg I want cake now!!!!!!

You have had a lucky escape, what a horrid place to work.
Wonder what would happen if you worked there and put weight on, what would she do then?????

Vicki x

Maybe they provide uniforms with the job...and only have them in small sizes :wink2:
I wish I was joking but I am sure I have heard of salons doing this!

Have just come in and read all the posts.

The attitude of this salon owner/ manager is the reason why many women are unwilling to enter a salon and book a treatment, let alone work there!
I have no doubt, whatsoever, that her prejudices will transmit to prospective clients.

As for you CC, I am incandescent! I want to march in and speak very quietly and coldly to her! You may guess what I would say.

You are lovely. Of course you're not fat, but you know that, I hope.

(That woman is going in our book. She will have a whole chapter.)

I'm a salon owner #6 was my response. We employed a larger lady and had no problems. Some clients IMO prefer someone who is slightly larger and older in some respects. A lot will depend on your type of business to be honest but our clientele feel more comfortable with someone who is curvaceous. I've been told it puts them at ease.

Latest posts

Back