TPTW - Do you think a more expensive wax is just as good as one that is cheaper?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So here we go then - my TPTW for the week.

Would be interested to here your views, I have tried cheap wax and the higher priced ones. IMO there is a difference. You pay for what you get and also what the manufacturers actually put in the wax.

There are some that say it doesnt matter its all down to the technique and the competence of the tech.

So your views would be welcome!!!!

I believe that you get what you pay for in life and I do think that a better quality wax saves you money n the long run for sure. I find the cheaper waxes are thicker so you use more anyway.

Most definatley...within a few coppers you get what you pay for in the long run.

This is a proven fact if you remember the good old Fairy Liquid adds ...miles and miles more than the cheaper brands :lol:

I cringed when I first ordered my first bag of PR Euroblond... it was over double the cost of my previous film wax that I had been using... but I feel I get such an improved result for my clients that its been well worth the change over and the clients noticed the difference straight away and commented how much more comfortable the new was was.

Now my application is much improved so I am using less with each treatment, it actually works out more cost effective too overall :hug:

When I first carried the PR line a long time ago it was 3 times higher than any other brand, but I had drifted into using only it because it was so much better than all 3 of the other lines my mother sold. Since then there are now a few lines that represent the top dollar for wax. I know for a fact that the raw ingredients that go into the pr and the Berins line are from different sources and are much more expensive than the raw ingredients that go into the other brands.

Here is what to consider: If you can get the job done in a very short time with the least amount of stress to you and the least amount of discomfort to your clients and your cost of goods is still in line then you have had the pleasure of using an amazing product! A really good product is used sparingly so will end up costing you close to the same at the end of the year.

That was a really long winded way of saying yes. haha!

Last edited:
I cant really say i know the difference between cheaper and more expensive waxes, but the wax you use definately makes a difference. Its not just a case of 'any wax will do', you do get used to the 'workability' of your chosen wax.

As with all products the ingredients do really matter....better ingredients make better products but unfortunately this comes at a price!

Considering we all only have one body and one skin doesnt it make sense to use the best ingredients whatever treatment we use on ourselves or our clients.

Not only will the skin appreciate the better product and we will see better results but also the client will appreciate this as the "feel good factor" is much better and especially in this case it makes it a lot more comfortable which is one of the key aspects of waxing......after all we dont want the client jumping off the couch in pain but rather compliment your treatment by saying "it didnt hurt at all " ;o)

so a big thumbs up from me for the better product
icon14.gif
- you get what you pay.....

I'd much rather spend a bit more as well. Better quality waxes tend not to smell as 'waxy' as others, don't go stringy & are applied thinner, therefore using less product.

YES!!:hug:
I used a middle of range wax while i was practising, once i was fully confident at waxing i used the PR, the people i waxed with the PR said it was a 'much nicer experience'. No stickiness, smoother skin, all hairs came of in one go and no-where near as painful as the other wax i was using.
And now i have the PR roller, which i love...:D:D:D

Last edited:
Its good to try all of the waxes, i.e. cheap, expensive, creme, honey, etc. Its whatever works for you hun. No point splashing out on a range of products if you will find that the cheaper one does a good job iykwim!xx

I think a good therapist can use any but I def think there is a diff, I'm not in beauty myself but as a salon manager and customer I felt d diff when we switched to PR its just brill!

Latest posts

Back