TPTW. How well trained is the trainer?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many years experience do you expect your trainer to have?

• 1 year or less

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 2 - 3 Years

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • 3 - 4 years

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • More than 4 years

Votes: 84 77.8%

• Total voters

Katelisa

Reaction score
We all know there is some god awful training out there, So I was just wondering, when learning a new skill, how well trained would you expect your trainer to be?! How much experience would you expect them to have in order to make your training as good and knowledgeable as possible? Afterall, if the trainer has never experienced the pitfalls of the trade they are teaching, then how can they teach us to avoid them?

And for all the trainers, how long have you been doing the treatment/s you teach? Do you feel it makes a difference the level of experience that you have as long as your teaching things by the book?

Be interesting to hear everyones thoughts on this one.

Peace out geeks!

xx

ps, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, i wasnt sure where to put it. and also, im not sure if TPTW is still gong on. But i thought it might be a bit thought provoking so put the tag on it anyway! :D

I would expect my trainer to have a whealth of knowledge because I went on a course that cost me a lot of money and I literally learnt nothing I was really disappointed but that was a long time ago and nw I make sure that I get as much information as possible before I part with my money.

I put more than 4 years....

as a personal choice I would like my 'trainer' to have a good few years experience behind them....

and here comes my but....

someone who indeed does have 4 years or more experience doesn't necessarily make them a better trainer...

in the same way that someone with less experience would make them a 'worse' trainer....

Although I answered the poll...I think I might sit on the fence with this one....I always contradict my own argument :lol:

I have put 2-3 years as an absolute minimum.

Great thread Kate, will be more than interested in the responses, enthusiasm can never beat hardened experience can it?!:lol:

Last edited:
I forgot to say...

Should companies base their education on that of CND, (im not and have never been CND trianed btw). By that i mean, you do your foundation, then skill building, then masters, then grand master, and then if you make the cut, you can become an educator. This is surely the most solid base to becoming an educator and delivering the best possible training to your students? As it goes on proven expertise.

I forgot to say...

Should companies base their education on that of CND, (im not and have never been CND trianed btw). By that i mean, you do your foundation, then skill building, then masters, then grand master, and then if you make the cut, you can become an educator. This is surely the most solid base to becoming an educator and delivering the best possible training to your students? As it goes on proven expertise.

I am CND trained and it is this level of qualification that gives me confidence in their training.

Great thread !!

i put 3-4 years. Ive been tanning and waxing for 4 years and have recently become a tanning trainer.

i think companies should have some kind of structure with there education but this will vary from company to company.

I totally agree to some kind of foundation - maybe in the form of nvq or similar, then skill building, then masters, and then yes if you make the cut, you can become an educator. I personally feel this is the most solid base to becoming an eucator and delivering the best possible training to your students?! Without any experience or knowledge how can you give the best to your students.

Anyone can teach any subject as long as they are qualified in it, however can they really offer you the knoweldge and wealth of information that we all really need. I also agree that just because someone has more experience than another it doesnt make them a better trainer. But then someone who has less expeience wouldnt necessarily make them a worse trainer but they would not have the wealth of knowledge that we as students would expect them to have.

Great thread kate - spot on !!!

I forgot to say...

it is the same idea with OPI here...
you have a foundation course, then you can try for the higher levels.

as for the topic itself, it's quite twisted for me to answer... I guess it depends on your skills too. I am a nail art trainer already, so how do you want me to count? I first did some nail art with polish 10yrs ago, stared l&p 5yrs ago, and qualified (foundation) 2yrs ago... and there's no requirement to teach nail art, and no book.

it is the same idea with OPI here...
you have a foundation course, then you can try for the higher levels.

as for the topic itself, it's quite twisted for me to answer... I guess it depends on your skills too. I am a nail art trainer already, so how do you want me to count? I first did some nail art with polish 10yrs ago, stared l&p 5yrs ago, and qualified (foundation) 2yrs ago... and there's no requirement to teach nail art, and no book.

Its a very grey area isnt it? But i think for something such as nail art,many people do tht themselves at home or in the salon, without causing any major problems. Nail polish can be taken off if it doesnt look nice. The only real concern is the associated Health and Safety risk, which IMO are minimal because they are common sense. ie, dont sniff nail polish, dont eat it, dont get it in your eye, dont get it on your moms / other half's new cream sofa - this may result in death. lol.

other things have more serious health and safety risks such as nail enhancement, over exposure and if they look crap you cannot get off as easily as polish, spray tanning which once developed your stuck with, waxing which you could burn someone or tear their skin or pass on infection . these things are more important to get right, and if the trainee has never been taught the risks, they may not occur to them as common sense.

i hope that makes sense? lol.

x

Its a very grey area isnt it? But i think for something such as nail art,many people do tht themselves at home or in the salon, without causing any major problems. Nail polish can be taken off if it doesnt look nice. The only real concern is the associated Health and Safety risk, which IMO are minimal because they are common sense. ie, dont sniff nail polish, dont eat it, dont get it in your eye, dont get it on your moms / other half's new cream sofa - this may result in death. lol.

other things have more serious health and safety risks such as nail enhancement, over exposure and if they look crap you cannot get off as easily as polish, spray tanning which once developed your stuck with, waxing which you could burn someone or tear their skin or pass on infection . these things are more important to get right, and if the trainee has never been taught the risks, they may not occur to them as common sense.

i hope that makes sense? lol.

x
of course it does!!
well. I don't know how it goes in the UK but recently I saw a swiss tech, who qualified this May, she will start to give training this fall. I somehow find it quite amusing, she is totally untrained as she learnt alone, thanks to youtube, only had 2 finished set to show to get her "diploma" which has no value at all, and she does a set in 4 hours or so.

and I'm like... ok lol, whatever...

more seriously, I would also add that I will start training ppl maybe next summer too. but I have an intensive year before, working in a few nail studios just to get used to the different kind of clients you can have, the diff problems, the stuff to do, etc, once with gel, once with l&p, once dealing with staff, etc. so I would of seen it all during one year, including master classes in the week end, twice a month.

I would never accept not to be good enough, as I had already been offered a job as an EzFlow Educator right after I qualified, and I was like... no... I am too young and I don't know enough for now, call me again in 10 yrs (lol, I really did that!!) and I will do it next year because I feel like now I can... plus it'll be a team, so I am not the only one if there is something I never came to see myself ;)

I went for 2-3 years, meaning teaching a subject that they have had that amount of experience in.

It's quite funny cos I was going to ask a similar question Katelisa, but you beat me to it!!!

Coming from a teaching background I agree with bebeautiful and mercedes, a trainer/teacher/educator needs to have knowledge AND experience in a subject, IMO, before they are 'qualified' to train in that subject! Now this is where I know the beauty industry, and other industries aren't regulated in the same way as education is.

It would seem that for some companies in the beauty industry, and I'm sure other industries, to employ a tech as a trainer there are no formal accredited requirements needed by the tech. It is my understanding that in some areas of the industry people with experience, or not so much experience as the case may be, are approached and asked if they would like to become a trainer, with no proof that they would make a good trainer, or even have the skills and qualities it takes to educate someone, let alone the wealth of knowledge of the subject needed.

I think it is a really good thing for the industry that some companies, as mentioned previously, re CND and OPI, that you work your way up and if you want to take the next step you can when you've demonstrated you can 'hack' it! Similar to teaching in an education establishment, school, college it shows learners that their teacher/trainer has had to work their way up from learning the basics, to the more complex techniques, and finally have learnt the skills of how to deliver a course/training. It demonstrates that they ARE experienced in their field because of their commitment and hard work in order to get that far, not just because they show enthusiasm to the subject/skill..... or company!!!!!

I was just reading a website of someone who offers training in nails, beauty etc and also does treatments from home... on the price list it states that the gel nails let the nail breathe!!! :eek: and this person is training?? :rolleyes:

I put 4 years or more, however up to date training is essential, there are SO many educators out there that were trained way back when and havent updated their skills or knowledge but still educate!!!!
There is a salon in a village near me who is now offering education, there are so many people that know for a fact she has no qualification for educating students, shes just been on a couple of courses!

What is this world coming to???

Surely this is where there needs to be some sort of regulation..... I am aware that there are no regulations on many things within the beauty industry but when it comes to training for a company, surely they have an obligation to regulate and moderate their training systems/trainee's. I am sure that there are many companies out there where this is good practice to ensure their company/products and training are portrayed with the utmost professionalism and so that they can continue to provide excellent customer satisfaction.... However, as the last two posts on this thread suggest this clearly doesn't happen with every company.

If I were to tell you that in the school I work in over half the people teaching our children were not qualified and had only been studying the subjects they were teaching for a couple of months I think there would be total uproar.... it should be the same in every industry shouldn't it???? To pass on your knowledge, experience and wisdom in a subject surely you have to have knowledge, experience and wisdom for the subject in the first place!!!!!

Everyone always gets so hot under the collar about this subject and others where the cry is "more regulation".

The fact is that we are not regulated in Europe and never have been and the standards of the technicians who are making a business of nails is the highest in the world.

I'm not sure why so many spend so much time and energy worrying about 'the other guy' and what he /she is doing.

BAD work SHOWS. BAD workmen do not prosper in our business.

OK people get ripped off with bad courses and bad workmanship and duff products, but it is up to THEM to find out what they need to know before embarking on this career.

RECOMMENDATION ........ IS THE KEY. Just like anything else. The good training providers, the good educators, the best products will have a BIG reputation; a solid BACKGROUND, A PROVEN record of achievement to display: awards, trophies and a presence in the industry.

We all know there is some god awful training out there, So I was just wondering, when learning a new skill, how well trained would you expect your trainer to be?! How much experience would you expect them to have in order to make your training as good and knowledgeable as possible? Afterall, if the trainer has never experienced the pitfalls of the trade they are teaching, then how can they teach us to avoid them?

I have been very lucky I guess by having one of the best nail educators around as my friend and tutor. I read about him originally, most of you wouldn't know that, and I sought him out and we became great friends after a while but I'll have to tell you he will be brutally honest.....worse so with me...and THAT is exactly what you need!

And for all the trainers, how long have you been doing the treatment/s you teach? Do you feel it makes a difference the level of experience that you have as long as your teaching things by the book?

Be interesting to hear everyones thoughts on this one.

Peace out geeks!

xx

ps, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, i wasnt sure where to put it. and also, im not sure if TPTW is still gong on. But i thought it might be a bit thought provoking so put the tag on it anyway! :D

I think honesty is always best. No-one wants to hear "oh they're lovely hun" when actually they are housebricks etc.
I think ANY trainers that give out a certificate JUST for attendance is a load of rubbish.
Oops ranting a little but JMHO:)

I have been very lucky I guess by having one of the best nail educators around as my friend and tutor. I read about him originally, most of you wouldn't know that, and I sought him out and we became great friends after a while but I'll have to tell you he will be brutally honest.....worse so with me...and THAT is exactly what you need!

So your saying you stalked him?! lol. :lol:

Whilst it would be very good to have guidelines and regulations for the years or experience and qualifications I believe it also varies a lot from one therapist to the next.

As we all know some people learn quicker and have a certain skill with treatments and it would be a shame to hold those people back or limit their possibilies by putting a fixed stamp on saying you have to have X amount of years before you can move up the ladder.

I think it is more important to look at
  • the actual qualification of the individual (where and how have they been trained),
  • which sector of the industry they are qualified in or want to train as different treatments will have different requirements
  • how many treatments have they actually done (have they got years of "experience" with only a few treatments?)
  • case studies of the treatments (experience does not necessarily mean that the therapist does the treatments correctly)
  • how motivated is the therapist, and how dedicated to the treatments, teaching and passing his/her knowledge onto others?
  • how good is the therapist at actually teaching others (a lot of people know how to do things but to teach is a complete different story)
  • how willing is the therapist to continue learning and improving skills as a therapist and/or trainer
I believe there is a lot of therapists that might have good intentions but are lacking one or more of the important aspects of becoming a competent trainer or teacher and whilst there is no common regulation in place it should be up to the supplier/manufacturer to continuously monitor their trainers as they have the obligation to ensure that their trainers are "up to the task" and meet the minimum required standards to be able to give adequate training to their students.

I believe there are a lot of therapists that might have good intentions but are lacking one or more of the important aspects of becoming a competent trainer or teacher and whilst there is no common regulation in place it should be up to the supplier/manufacturer to continuously monitor their trainers as they have the obligation to ensure that their trainers are "up to the task" and meet the minimum required standards to be able to give adequate training to their students.

What should be and what actually IS are unfortunately 2 different things!

As for hitting the minimum required standards, I'm afraid that simply would not do for the company I represent. Minimum??? We expect way beyond the minimum ... and with at least yearly Regional training they are pushed beyond their experience at each update. It's no good sticking or letting our ambassadors stay with in their comfort zones. "If you do stay doing what you do you will only have what you've got!" One of my favourite sayings.

Latest posts

Back