Trade test- so nervous, help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheekychick

Reaction score
Hi this is long so bare with me haha.

I have an interview next tues at a well known salon.
I have no salon experience which they know.
The lady sent a message this morning saying I'll have to do a trade test & she forgot to mention it.
I've known about the interview for over a week and expected to have a trade test Although she never mentioned it but now she has, the nerves have set in! It's all I've thought about ALL day!
She said and in her words- trade test: manicure, your choice of nail art etc..

I don't know what to do design wise!
Or what questions to ask, I can't seem to think straight.

They have models and products but feel free to bring my own tools.
I'm a mess, I don't know what to take and I'm really stressing.
I'm considering not going now
I haven't had an interview in 8 years and have really lost confidence in myself since having my little girl who's 7 now.
Working in a salon is all I've ever wanted to do, I don't know what's wrong with me!
I just know I'm going to mess it up, so angry with myself as before the mention of the trade test I was really excited and thought of lots of things to be able to say about myself and knowledge of things etc.
Doesn't help that my partner isn't very supportive, so I can't really talk to him.

Does anyone else get like this? How do you overcome your nerves?
I don't know what to do :(
So sorry for the essay xx

TAKE A DEEP BREATH!!!

ok, this is what you want to do so if you dont go for it and give it all you've got you will regret it.

Of course you'll be nervous, anyone going for an interview after 8 years would be. So get a nail disc and have a play about, pick a design you are confident in and take your products to do it on the day so you dont have a panic attack when you realise they dont have the right colour for your chosen design. It doesnt have to be complicated, sometimes simple is best.

im a gibbering wreck when put outside my comfort zone (the sort who starts throwing up) so rescue remedy is my new best friend, it'll calm you down before you go in. But up until then all you can do is be organised.

Decide on your design and what you'll need for your manicure, write a list with everything you will need on it and put together your kit for the day.

If you are prepared then what could possibly go wrong?? Be confident in your abilities and show them you are exactly the kind of nail tech they are looking for.

And smile....................and take a deep breath! and tell your partner how much this means to you and that you need a bit of support this week in the run up to this interview and he can go back to his normal self once you've got the job! :D

Good luck! You wont need it though.

Let us know how you get on
xxxxx

I agree deep breaths.... Its not the end of the world if you did fluff this interview up. Another will come along the way if you dont get this job and you would then have an idea what to expect.

In the meantime literally draw the design you want, take in anything & everything you think you'll need to accomplish your task. This way you will be fully prepared. Its all very well and good you being able to talk yourself into sounding brilliant, but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding. You will have to ensure that you up your game & produce something with a wow factor.... Might be an idea if you could find someone to practise your idea on...

Hope things work out & instead of worrying just look at it as much needed experience :)

:D

Thank you both so much.

I've just sat down and made a list of everything I need to take.
And what im going to do step by step just so I'm not worrying about it.

I think I'm best at leopard print, would that be okay for me to do? Or shall I choose something else?

I think I need me some of that rescue remedy! I'll have a look about.

Im going to get my nail wheels out when I get home and try some different designs.

I'm at my nans at the moment and have done A French Mani on her 4 times in a row to make sure I'm ok with that just incase they ask me to do that.

Even writing the list made me feel a bit better.
Thank you both so much, I really appreciate your advice.
I really hope it goes okay. :) xx

i have just trade tested a girl who we have now taken on and she was the same as you,had a lil girl been out of the industry for a while,and yes we do pick up on nerves which is perfectly normal we was all there once and everyone needs a chance,you will be fine and i wish you all the best,let me know how you get on :D

Well ... there are some lovely supportive and practical replies from both sides. :hug:

No one is comfortable pushing new boundaries ... But if you don't (and if this really is your dream) then you must or you will never grow an inch.

Do art that you are comfortable doing ... Perhaps stay away from the designs that require a really steady hand :D. Take along your photos of previous work to show them ... You have some nice ones in your album you could show. They will surely want to see that French, so glad you are happy with that.

You will be fine ... Picture the day you want to have and how you want to perform and create it on the day. YOU create your own destiny. Do not even think along the lines of messing up and you will do a good job. Good luck.

May i suggest that you acknowledge your nerves to the "tester", along with the fact that your very passionate about what your applying to do. In fact its all you've ever wanted to do! If you have any skills at all and your 'tester" is business savey or competent in the salon world they will hire you because of your Passion towards your work and your sincerity!
I would much rather hire a passionate lesser skilled tech. that just needs a hand. Than a higher skilled business as usual tech. that's not interested in further training and "knows it all". None of us "knows it all". I can teach/and or provide training for the passionate one! The other, not so much.
I wish you the very best of luck, be yourself, be human, be nervous, but mostly whatever you do, be honest, sincere and let your passion flow! You'll be brilliant!! :)

wow, i used a lot of , , , , ,'s in that last sentence!! LOL
I'm just sooo cheering for you!!

Thank you Lise,Geeg & besthands for your advice, help and kind words.I really do appreciate it. :)
I am feeling much better about it today. I feel a lot more organised.

Hopefully it all goes well. I shall update you all once I've been. (it's on Tuesday)
I have invited my girl friends round tomorrow evening to run through what I am going to do to make 100% sure I feel confident in everything.

Once again thank you all! You really have been a great help!
Xxxx

Thank you all do much!!
It went really well (I think)
She wants me to go back next week for the day (expenses paid) to show me around properly, sort out my shellac training and set my hours.
The trade test went well,she seemed impressed and loved all my photos of my work.
So I think that's a good sign?
I answered every question and asked my own. I'm so proud of myself for not turning into a mess!
I think my passion shone through lol.
Thank you again, your help really means a lot
Sam
Xxx

Happy for you and proud of you too for going for it. Let us know!!! :D

Thank you all do much!!
She wants me to go back next week for the day (expenses paid) to show me around properly, sort out my shellac training and set my hours.
The trade test went well,she seemed impressed and loved all my photos of my work.
I answered every question and asked my own. I'm so proud of myself for not turning into a mess!
Sam
Xxx[/QUOTE

Well done Hun, sounds like you did ace :) xx

yey, well done xx

Thank you Ladies. :) xx

Thank you all do much!!
Sam
Xxx

Well done Hun I've got mine tomorrow im the same no salon experience but am so passionate and love love love beauty xxxx

Well done Hun I've got mine tomorrow im the same no salon experience but am so passionate and love love love beauty xxxx

Thanks!
Aww Good luck!! I'm sure you will be fine Hun. Hope it all goes well.
:) xx

Well it just got cancelled and was meant to be tomorrow, am absolutely gutted :(
Had my hair done, bought a new top to wear so I would look noce and smart.
Did so much research on shellac I've been dreaming about it and its all been for nothing. :(
Xx

awww noooooo! sorry to hear that! Will there be another date set.

No matter what happens, there's no such thing as a wasted interview experience. Best of luck for the future :)

awww noooooo! sorry to hear that! Will there be another date set.

No matter what happens, there's no such thing as a wasted interview experience. Best of luck for the future :)
Thank you,
No that's it. :( really liked it there too and the people seemed lovely. I think they are so busy that they need someone who is already experienced who can start straight away and they don't have time to train me.
Gutted but everything happens for a reason I suppose. I'll continue with some more training and keep trying.
Xx

Thank you,
No that's it. :( really liked it there too and the people seemed lovely. I think they are so busy that they need someone who is already experienced who can start straight away and they don't have time to train me.
Gutted but everything happens for a reason I suppose. I'll continue with some more training and keep trying.
Xx
Aw ... Better luck next time, cheekychick! X. You'll get your chance.

Latest posts

Back