Trained or Not That is the Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad this topic has been brought up. Here in Canada each province does it's own thing some are licenced and others a certified. Here in Alberta we are certified, the responsiblity falls on distributors to police the industry. Almost all of them require proof of certification before they will sell you any product. Now with that being said with Ebay and how easy it is to get professional products on the web, who will police that. Manufactors can oly do so much to make sure that their products only end up in the hands of trained professionals, but what about the tech who is getting out of the business and sells all their stuff on Ebay to make a few bucks??

If we think about it products are needed to make enhancements right.. no products.... no one doing nails who isn't trained....

Just my 2cents
SC

You have raised a couple of good points here especially about professional products.

The majority of wholesalers I go to will only sell to you once they have seen your certificates, but there are one or two that are like high street stores, where anyone can go and buy anything they want trained or not trained. If we can change this it will be closing one way in for the untrained tech to get professional products, but I really don't know what can be done about ebay as they are providing a service for which they make lots and lots of money, I can't see them wanting to ban nail products as that would be cutting down on their own income and as each Country and State has its own regulations they would find their own legal loophole to allow the sales to continue. What we need is legislation that is recognised world wide and is policeable. Will that day ever come I doubt it but who knows perhaps one day.

Joan

I have enjoyed reading all the replies to this thread. I am a little disappointed that noone has replied as of yet to say why they don't train. I am hoping to start my training early next year with Creative and even though I have been with this site for awhile now and learn't loads, I still would not dream of putting on any enhancements, not even on me!! I feel I am learning loads from this site however, until I get shown professionally, in a trained environment, there is NO WAY I would 'try out' on anyone!

I have enjoyed reading all the replies to this thread. I am a little disappointed that noone has replied as of yet to say why they don't train. I am hoping to start my training early next year with Creative and even though I have been with this site for awhile now and learn't loads, I still would not dream of putting on any enhancements, not even on me!! I feel I am learning loads from this site however, until I get shown professionally, in a trained environment, there is NO WAY I would 'try out' on anyone!

Just out of interest if you hadn't been a member of this site, and found out that there is so much involved, do you think you may have been tempted to dabble before training?

NO WAY!! I am a believer in training. In all my jobs I have had to complete training. But I feel with nails its so important to get the knowledge and training as you could really do some serious damage. I am more excited about not doing anything about it yet and waiting until my course so I go in a 'virgin' and learn everything from experts and not people who think they are!!

I must admit I fell into the ooh that looks fun and easy category when I first thought about getting involved in the nail industry. I got myself the EN course and thought brilliant I'll be a nail tech this time next week, pack me job in salon here I come.

Then I came on here and it was like someone lighting the touch paper, I didn't want to just be a nail tech, I want to be a good nail tech, now I want to be one of the best. The EN course has gone because I can't get on with it, I can't grasp the techniques, so I'm furiously saving for some class room based training so I can get going.

Training every time for me!!

One of the reasons that this site is so important to newbies is a reflection of the professional and hygenic standards that need to be met. I read an article in Nails about the best new products in the December issue. One was the Aspire ASP l&p line that's being sold through Sally's. I went to the website and requested some further information. They sent me a DVD with movies of "how to" apply their products. I was shocked to see the nail technician slopping monomer all over the client's fingers. If I hadn't spent so much time here, I probably would have just assumed that was OK. But, we all know that it's NOT! That knowledge alone is invaluable and it keeps people safe.

I think this is very important to the site ... this site does fall at the hands of the untrained , as they relie on others and not training but there are concequences of that ... stated above!! everyone on this site who is qualified should be proud and the ones who choses not to should be ashamed because at the end of the day they only them selvs to blame not us when things go wrong ... which at one point they will !!.... Training is a vital part in any career and to just enjoy somthing is good to .. but i enjoy computers but would never ever think of popping of to a massive company and trying to re-programme their system!! Unheard of ... I was interested in nails b4 i got qualified but the thought never crossed my head to 'have a go' beacuse its nails done wrong that also give the profession a bad name and its the qualified tech's left to pic up the pieces!! this is a great thread to :) xx

Hi Joan, my two penneth as bullied for!

I would never have attempted to perform a set of enhancements on anyone if I hadn't trained to do so first.

I wouldn't dream of going to a hairdresser to get my hair cut or coloured without knowing they had trained (or would I because I have never asked), you just assume.

I think it is time that this industry is regulated, by whom I am not entirely sure but it is needed.

Many of my clients make a point of saying oooh haven't you got a lot of certificates, however I don't know of any other salons that display their certs. How do I know they are qualified?

Even when I went for a part time job in a local salon I was not asked to produce my certificates to prove I was qualified to do the job so how do I know the rest of em aren't "have a go Joes"?

So basically after much waffling - TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN.

There Joan, Satisfied now?

Hi Joan, my two penneth as bullied for!

I would never have attempted to perform a set of enhancements on anyone if I hadn't trained to do so first.

I wouldn't dream of going to a hairdresser to get my hair cut or coloured without knowing they had trained (or would I because I have never asked), you just assume.

I think it is time that this industry is regulated, by whom I am not entirely sure but it is needed.

Many of my clients make a point of saying oooh haven't you got a lot of certificates, however I don't know of any other salons that display their certs. How do I know they are qualified?

Even when I went for a part time job in a local salon I was not asked to produce my certificates to prove I was qualified to do the job so how do I know the rest of em aren't "have a go Joes"?

So basically after much waffling - TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN.

There Joan, Satisfied now?

Yep Thanks I know how hot you are regarding training and how proudly you display all your certificates in your salon, so I wouldn't have felt the thread was complete without some input from you.

Joan

Yep Thanks I know how hot you are regarding training and how proudly you display all your certificates in your salon, so I wouldn't have felt the thread was complete without some input from you.

Joan

Bless you hun, I have also voted on the thread too.

The problem I think, is that peeps can get hold of product to do the job, not always good product but product all the same. So your hobbyist/amateur can start off dabbling using pro product, now if unlike me they have no desire to get better and better.In some cases the dabbling will make them think ooh I like this I'm going to get some training, in others they'll think what a rip getting trained when I can already do it. Some will start charging the paying public, some will no matter what we think will get a client base.

I go to college I have to have letters signed by tutors etc to even set foot in Sallys, etc never mind buy anything.Ebay & Rio :irked: aside I can't fathom where they get the gear from to do it. I feel sorry for them though, I've got drive and ambition to try and get somewhere, they haven't and a life without passion doesn't seem a lot of fun to me.

I am at college at the moment but only started in September. We have barely looked at extensions yet because the college thinks (and i agree) you cant do them unless you have an underlying knowledge of the nail so we MUST obtain our manicure and pedicure exams first!! I openly admit I started out as a total hobbiest but always wanted training and have eventually managed to go to college.
One thing I must say is that this site has definitley given me the want to go further and I am getting very impatient to start extensions properly as I DO WANT AND NEED training!!!!!!!!
To digress slightly, my college does not teach gel nails as thay say they are "too easy" - I totally disagree with this and want external training so I can do this aswell. Creative has told me I have to be a qualified nail tech to do their courses. Can anyone recommened anywhere. I cant afford a lot (which is a possible reason for some hobbiests not getting training). Thanks x

Creative has told me I have to be a qualified nail tech to do their courses.x

You only have to be a qualified Nail Tech to do Creatives Induction or Conversion Courses. Which means you are an experienced Tech and only require to be shown how to use our products.

You would be able to train with Creative by doing the Foundation Course with them....which will start you off into the world of nail enahncements....and award winning education.

izzidoll said:
You would be able to train with Creative by doing the Foundation Course with them....which will start you off into the world of nail enahncements....and award winning education.
Could I just do gels though because I'm learning acrylic and fibreglass at college.

Hi Pink Pink Pink,

As far as I know it should be possible, but I would try to master one system at a time or you could get yourself a little confused especially while you are still at college. Obviously others may not agree, but that is what I am doing.

Joan

Could I just do gels though because I'm learning acrylic and fibreglass at college.
you can do a foundation course in either fibreglass (fabric), L+P or gel, although as Joan said, you might be better off mastering one system before moving on to another.

take it one step at a time, see how you get on, and when you think the time is right you can begin to make enquiries to the companies you're interested in training with, ask them what's available to you, and take it from there :hug:

I'm glad this topic has been brought up. Here in Canada each province does it's own thing some are licenced and others a certified. Here in Alberta we are certified, the responsiblity falls on distributors to police the industry. Almost all of them require proof of certification before they will sell you any product.

hi geeks

i am in beautiful BC (canada) and here you do NOT need to be liscenced! :eek: you can imagine i am sure how many ppl are running nail salons or doing nails in general that have NO training, except maybe from their cousin! lol
I have had many clients come through because they had basically mutilated nail beds, horrible sights to see:eek:

i also know for fact that the nail/beauty supply stores here DO sell to ANYONE. the most i have been asked is "did you go to school", but most of the time they say NOTHING except how much i owe them for my purchase. If your government does not make it manditory for techs to be liscensed, what can we do? and what can the suppliers do? it is legal for anyone to buy uv gel, lamps, excetera here in BC. Doesn't seem like much we can do uother thanl we tell the government we want liscenses' required, and you know how the government works:confused:

I'm in beautiful SK (Canada) and here we need to have a certificate of training in order to purchase products from beauty wholesale joints. There are several different ways for one to go about getting a certificate. Some enroll in Marca or Marvel Beauty schools, some learn gels through various salon/training centers. Some courses are 6 weeks, some are 2 days followed by a practical and written exam one month later. All suppliers sell to students and when they receive their certifiacte they need to show it to the "supply house" to continue to purchase products. Once you're in their computer system, you're in.

If a tech wants to try any gel line all they have to do is purchase it. Techs do not need to take any additional product "conversion" course (even though they are available and sometimes included in the price of the kit).

I want to give my input as I am a licensed tech and licensed instructor in the US. Licensing is not going to solve your various countries' issues with unqualified people doing nails. It is poorly enforced. In four years at the spa we havent even had a health inspection let alone the board of cosmetology checking licenses! The exam consists of a computer test and a practical exam. Live models are not allowed. You simply demonstrate the procedures of a water manicure on a mannequin hand. (yes dipping the hand in water, massaging it and painting it with red polish) you demonstrate the cuticle work . however because its not human, how can you tell you performed this safely!. Then you remove the polish apply a tip to one finger, wrap this nail in fabric. then you sculpt a nail on the other finger. But like I said this is a mannequin hand. no one makes sure you gently removed cuticle, or dind't remove too much shine by over buffing the natural nail. I mean this is what we want to ensure right, the safety of the clients natural nail?
Another problem in the US is apprentiships. It s a great idea in theory, but few complete them. they have no motivation to do so. they already have jobs, and are making money doing nails, and clients here are largely oblivious to the licensing requirements.
The only way you are going to elevate the perception of your industry is by educating your clients about the consequences of poorly skilled technicians doing your nails! licensing is not going to solve the problem its just going to add to the expenses of the few who take their work seriously!

I am trained by a reputable company and I work very hard at my nails but they are a long way from perfect. I really cannot see how this site would help someone with no training.

Before I was trained I watched the tech doing my nails and thought it looked easy, I didn't appreciate the significance of all the prep and I had never even heard of lifting . I watched her closely each time , asked loads of questions. found this site and prepared myself for my course.

Even with excellent training I found it all so different to what I had expected and so much harder to do.

Maybe I am in the minority and there are many self taught who 'only want to do there own nails and family' who benefit from all the experience on here, but I truly don't think so.

Well here is my thinking of the hobbyist! There are those who do just that, keep it as a hobby! Maybe they buy a DIY kit from Boots and are happy to tinker with their own nails. You don't need training for this, just as I wouldn't need hairdressing training when i use my Nice N Easy hair dye, or if I was to apply it on my daughter's hair.

BUT I think that once it goes beyond immediate family it is more than a hobby. Friends can often be the biggest nightmares when things go wrong. I've even heard of circumstances when friends have at the best fallen out over such things, or at worst tried to sue.

So I just wondered where others feel the line is drawn between hobby / DIY and moving on to making it more of a profession and needing REAL training? Maybe taking it from this point of view will help move the debate on and draw in those who never normally post their opinion because they are too timid!

Latest posts

Back