Treating a client with verruccae

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

footwoman

Reaction score
Dear All,
I am posting this query as a Chiropodist/Podiatrist who knows very little about the Beauty Industry.
Recently I saw a patient who had multiple verruccae on both feet. She told me that she visited a Beauty Therapist regularly for pedicures/foot massage.
I was a bit surprised that the beautician would agree to treat her with so many verruccae ?
Is this common practice and if so what infection controls would be in place to stop transferring the virus to other clients?
Thank you for your help.

Posted via Mobile Device Hi, this lady definitely shouldn't be having pedicures as verruccae are a contraindication to pedicure and foot treatments. The only time I've ever treated anyone with them was a lady who had a full body massage whilst wearing a verruca sock! Hope this helps x

Hi

In my manicure/pedicure training we were taught that you can treat clients with verruccaes as long as you handle it correctly with caution.

Don't soak the feet as it's when verruccaes are wet that they are contagious, and make sure that the verruccae is covered with a plaster (even better with heavy duty duct tape - only enough to cover the verruccae obviously, not a massive peice lol !!) and that you should always ensure that you wear gloves.

In fact, the other lady qualifying on the course with me had a verruccae and I did her pedicure in this way - no problems.

HTH
L x

Hello All,
Hmmm. It seems like we have two different schools of thought here, what do others think? :confused:

The patient I refer to had so many verruccae that it was only her heels that were free of them.

This query arises from a telephone complaint from this patient (nearly a week after treatment !) that " her feet didn't feel as smooth as when she went to the Beauty Therapist".
I responded by saying that was because ;-
1. I wasn't trained as a Beauty Therapist ( !) and
2. I was surprised that a beautician would treat her with so many verruccae.
She then hung up on me, so I wondered if she was telling porkies as I couldn't see how she could possibly have a pedicure/foot massage (even with tape on) as so many were present? :confused:

I was trained not to treat . We don't as I really feel that I would be worried to death about spreading it to my other clients. I personally won't. But am interested to hear what others think.

Hi, I'm trained in footcare and beauty therapy and I wouldn't treat a client with loads (one I might cover wear gloves ect ect, depends on who client was) would send them to a pod and tell them to come back later. Di:)

I'm horrified that a therapist would treat a client in this condition!

This is definitely contra-indicated and not even in the 'restriction to treatment' section. This means that this is how it should be taught to students.

However, I do agree that in the 'real' world an experienced therapist/technician who understood the condition could safely cope with 1 small verruca. Definitely not a crop!

Thank you all for your replies, they have been very useful. :)

Posted via Mobile Device

I was taught verrucae's was contagious and not to treat, and my current work place we would rather turn clients away or do a different treatment. However there has been the odd occasion where if its a small and almost gone verrucae then I have worn gloves. But a whole foot full deffinetly not to be touched. I've heard if you catch it on your hands it can be lethal.
Posted via Mobile Device

There is no way i'd do it. Not only do I want to save other clients from catching it but I dont want it either!
Everywhere is different.I was told to do it where I worked but refused. All some of them are interested in is the £££ at the end of the day.
xxx

We were also taught not to treat.

Latest posts

Back