Turning down a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd probably get the arse if they kept sliding off their chair.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I really think you should all stop having a go at Lisa now.i think she has been completely misunderstood.She was clearly just looking for reassurance she had done the right thing by turning down a client she didn't feel comfortable doing.I don't think at any point a big debate about people's views on Drug use was intended or needed. Come on geeks enough is enough......

Ooh it doesn't bother me. Everyones entitled to their opinion & i refuse to even reply about the comments relating to anything other than weed. I don't feel ganged up on or anything. I'm not one of these what runs off crying cos a post on an internet forum has upset them :lol: thankyou though :) x

If I knew a client was openly promoting drugs use I would not book them in.

The last thing I would want is to associated with this type of person or be there when his/her drug dealer turns up wanting money/to sell something or more importantly if the police turned up.

If I knew a client was openly promoting drugs use I would not book them in.

The last thing I would want is to associated with this type of person or be there when his/her drug dealer turns up wanting money/to sell something or more importantly if the police turned up.

Really????

LOTS of people take drugs and to be fair you forgot the word ILLEGAL.

Would you be offended if a client had a glass of wine and some aspirin in front of you.

I find this thread super strange. I would do the client if anything went on then leave or don't go back.

Don't judge a book by its cover, even people who take drugs need nice nails.

I personally would turn them down, I can't stand drugs and would be horrified if a client did it in front of me! If they did smoke weed around you, you'd then walk out of the house stinking of it then the next client would get the wrong impression. I'd make an excuse up xx

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using SalonGeek mobile app

Really????

Would you be offended if a client had a glass of wine and some aspirin in front of you.

I find this thread super strange. I would do the client if anything went on then leave or don't go back.

:lol: rightly so, but i'm not the tech for it.

Sorry I've seen a page and a half of posts. And as a mobile tech or a salon tech it's our right to turn down a client if we don't feel comfortable for whatever reason.

But personally i would accept any client, if for whatever reason I didn't feel comfortable I would then make the decision to whether I rebooked or not.

Re-smoking, cigarettes, cigars or joints. They wouldn't spark up in a salon so one would assume they wouldn't dream of it during a treatment. Of course if you saw they where about to spark up in their home then you have to take control and explain the risks, if they are that stupid to endanger their own life and yours just pack up and go.

But whatever happens in the life of a tech, remember at all times as a professional we are in control. Xxxx

I have been following this thread with interest. Just before Christmas I found myself in a similar position. I'm a mobile tech and always insist on speaking to new clients on the phone before I will book them in. I do have Facebook, but have never felt inclined to check a clients profile. The client in question wanted a Brazilian wax, I spoke to her & she seemed lovely, yet very nervous as this was to be her first time! I popped her postcode into Google maps and wowed to myself at the area she lived in, notorious for its "mansions". On the day of the appointment I merrily trotted down her driveway (which was bigger than both my gardens put together!) and knocked on the door. The awful stench of weed or whatever its called nowadays hit me as soon as she opened the door. The immaculately dressed lady was obviously under the influence and greeted me with " I've had a little bit of my special calming cigs". I cannot express how strong the smell was, but I made the decision there and then to refuse treatment. I explained that my insurance would not cover me to treat a client under the influence. The lady was fine actually, said she understood and hadn't thought of that, and actually apologized to me for wasting my time!
I would do the same again, you can't judge people, and what they do in their own time, in the privacy of their own home is not my business, but if any client was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or proceeded to take drugs during an appointment I would cease treatment and leave straight away. I'm also an ex smoker, I hate going to clients that smoke in the house. I ask my clients to wait until treatment is over before lighting up, and none have ever had an issue with this. But when I leave a smoking household, I can smell it lingering on me for hours after, but I also acknowledge that this is likely to be paranoia lol!
Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have been following this thread with interest. Just before Christmas I found myself in a similar position. I'm a mobile tech and always insist on speaking to new clients on the phone before I will book them in. I do have Facebook, but have never felt inclined to check a clients profile. The client in question wanted a Brazilian wax, I spoke to her & she seemed lovely, yet very nervous as this was to be her first time! I popped her postcode into Google maps and wowed to myself at the area she lived in, notorious for its "mansions". On the day of the appointment I merrily trotted down her driveway (which was bigger than both my gardens put together!) and knocked on the door. The awful stench of weed or whatever its called nowadays hit me as soon as she opened the door. The immaculately dressed lady was obviously under the influence and greeted me with " I've had a little bit of my special calming cigs". I cannot express how strong the smell was, but I made the decision there and then to refuse treatment. I explained that my insurance would not cover me to treat a client under the influence. The lady was fine actually, said she understood and hadn't thought of that, and actually apologized to me for wasting my time!
I would do the same again, you can't judge people, and what they do in their own time, in the privacy of their own home is not my business, but if any client was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or proceeded to take drugs during an appointment I would cease treatment and leave straight away. I'm also an ex smoker, I hate going to clients that smoke in the house. I ask my clients to wait until treatment is over before lighting up, and none have ever had an issue with this. But when I leave a smoking household, I can smell it lingering on me for hours after, but I also acknowledge that this is likely to be paranoia lol!
Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Totally agree. It's true that we cannot know what clients get up to but once they make it known either by seeing it on FB or whatever, a therapist has the right to not treat if they feel uncomfortable. To the OP, I would not treat her either - showing pics of her doing this with kids in tow is beyond belief.

Really????

CG

Are you for real?

I think from the way that I phrased my post everyone bar you seems to get that I am talking about illegal narcotics and NOT the consumption of over the counter aspirin.

As an ex police officer & drugs councillor I understand what people involved in drugs are like, whether they are hard core coke/meth heads or on 'soft' drugs like weed and they are not the type of people you want to pass the time of day with, trust me.

again ive arrested lots of drug dealers and certainly wouldn't want to bump into one while doing a manicure, as they are not nice people.

Also people on weed can be prone to extreme behavioural problems brought on by the drugs.

The op has asked for advice as she is concerned quite rightly about her safety as the client takes drugs.

Having a glass of wine/ popping a pain killer is poles apart from taking weed.

Last edited:
your well entitled to turn down who you want, i have done it before lol but the thing is sometimes they come back later on still looking for another appointment
we cant be fully booked forever lol

CG

Are you for real?

I think from the way that I phrased my post everyone bar you seems to get that I am talking about illegal narcotics and NOT the consumption of over the counter aspirin.

As an ex police officer & drugs councillor I understand what people involved in drugs are like, whether they are hard core coke/meth heads or on 'soft' drugs like weed and they are not the type of people you want to pass the time of day with, trust me.

again ive arrested lots of drug deals and certainly wouldn't want to bump into one while doing a manicure, as they are not nice people.

Also people on weed can be prone to extreme behavioural problems brought on by the drugs.

The op has asked for advice as she is concerned quite rightly about her safety as the client takes drugs.

Having a glass of wine/ popping a pain killer is poles apart from taking weed.

You misread what I was saying .....I pointed out that we aren't talking drugs we are speaking about any illegal activity.

For a drugs councillor your comments are stereotypical and I'm shocked.

People who take drugs 'are not the type of people you want to pass the time of day with'.

Your training has served you well.

You misread what I was saying .....I pointed out that we aren't talking drugs we are speaking about any illegal activity.

For a drugs councillor your comments are stereotypical and I'm shocked.

People who take drugs 'are not the type of people you want to pass the time of day with'.

Your training has served you well.

The OP was specific about pointing out the usage of weed by the client her question so hence why we are talking about drug use.

Yes weed is illegal and if I knew a client partake in drugs, for moral reasons I would no longer have them on my books or book them in, in the first place, this is an ex police thing im afraid, im very anti drugs

And by the way my training has served me very well, thank you very much.

I'm also an ex police offer and have seen the very very nasty side of these people and what drugs do people, so my views are not stereotypical they are based on spending lots of time with these people in both roles as an constable and a councillor.

I've had a knife held to me neck by a drug addict I was trying to arrest, for gods sake, so I think I well versed in what they are like.

Until that day I never knew what real fear was.... I was only 19 years old

I have lost people very close to me through drug addiction. They didn't fit in to your story book picture. Your comments are highly offensive and everything that is wrong with the police force clearly.

You went through something tragic, so I have I.

Starting to regret posting this thread now :lol: :lol:

I think the OP was clearly misunderstood if we look back on the comments it is quite clear that she was asking for reassurance in regards to her safety with being a mobile therapist and going to some ones house that she didn't feel comfortable with. I think we just need to leave this post now :)

I've just finished reading through this thread and I'm shocked.

How many times have we had threads on salongeek from mobile therapists asking for reassurance regarding a questionable appointment and the majority of the replies are usually based on trusting your gut feeling.

I see nothing wrong with the decision not to make an appointment after seeing the pictures this person has put on facebook. I personally don't think that smoking weed behind closed doors is the worst crime in the world but if the potential client thinks that it's ok to parade the use of an illegal substance on the internet for all to see, I wonder what type of person they are.

This client could be the nicest person in the world but I'm sorry first impressions count and the first impression is that this is not a client I would want to take on.

I've just finished reading through this thread and I'm shocked.

How many times have we had threads on salongeek from mobile therapists asking for reassurance regarding a questionable appointment and the majority of the replies are usually based on trusting your gut feeling.

I see nothing wrong with the decision not to make an appointment after seeing the pictures this person has put on facebook. I personally don't think that smoking weed behind closed doors is the worst crime in the world but if the potential client thinks that it's ok to parade the use of an illegal substance on the internet for all to see, I wonder what type of person they are.

This client could be the nicest person in the world but I'm sorry first impressions count and the first impression is that this is not a client I would want to take on.

I'd also like to make it clear i didn't make the judgement just on them smoking weed. It was more the fact they smoked it around the kids. That, i really dont agree with. Thanks everyone :)

I'm not self employed so I can't say whether I'd offer her an appointment or not in your situation. I don't see it as being judgemental in a negative way - I don't like to associate with people who use drugs either and if that makes me judgemental then I'll take that hit ;) I wouldn't judge anyone on their age, race, colour, sexuality etc. but I think it's perfectly reasonable to judge someone who chooses to use illegal drugs.

After a bit more thought, no I wouldn't treat her. But then I probably wouldn't have peeped at her Facebook so I'd be none the wiser unless she lit up in front of me!

isn't this the beauty of self employment?

we have choice and control over what we do or don't want to do

we're not social workers duty bound to work with all and sundry

lol we can make our own decisions

and with regards to accustions of the op being 'judgemental'..... so what?

we all are, as humans its our nature, aren't we judging her by saying she is judgemental? lol

I imagine for the mobile therapists there must be a element of judging situations and people that is required to keep themselves safe

if we don't want to work with particular people - for whatever reasons we may have - then we don't have to

this freedom of choice is what I love about self employment

Latest posts

Back