Ugly duck nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats your opinion of Flared nails??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i always told myself id never wear crocs. then i got a job where i had to stand on my feet for 12 hours a day...and i changed my mind when i found out how comfy they were. when ppl made fun of them (i STILL found them hideous) i just told them they could come rub my feet ater i got off work if they had a prob with my shoes :green:

wild: good for you on not letting anyone set your standards! kudos. i still think theyre ugly :p

and yes the chav explaination was perfect. thank you

Hey can ayoe explain to me about flares i have been doig nails 8 years never heard of them if ye mean they fan out at the free edge if anyone has come i to me with nails like that i would have assumed it was tech with bad shaping of the ails leavig them like spades!! Is this the look yous mean???? Do people actually ask for this look!! I thot that was techs just not shaping the nails properly!!!!!

yup thats what we're talkin' about

Every time i have seen this flare nails shape nails on the internet i asume that it was a newbie or someone with out any training at all, why would anyone try to make there client nails look awfull when they have speend years in training to make slim long beautiful nails i just don´t get it.... :eek: is i because they don´t have better skills??

And those Crocs shoes NO WAY in life would i but my feet in a pair like them, they har ugly as h...

Charlotte

And those Crocs shoes NO WAY in life would i but my feet in a pair like them, they har ugly as h...
Crocs were mentioned on a comedy programme here tonight, they said "Why would you wear shoes that look like you were on the way to the toilet while staying in hospital" ?:lol:
I haven't even seen them, I can only imagine how bad they look now.

Here they are, lovly pair of shoes, realy pamper your french toes and make the woman foot look beautyful :eek:

crocs.jpg

Here they are, lovly pair of shoes, realy pamper your french toes and make the woman foot look beautyful :eek:

View attachment 5982

Oh I was wondering what these crock shoes were. I wouldn't be seen dead in shoes like that... 5inch heels all the way pour moi!! (of course now I have to say no offense to anyone whop wears these :rolleyes:)... but not my idea of femininity!!

Maybe a tech from the US can answer this question?
Where has the idea come from to make these horrid wide fanned out duck nails?
Is a celeb wearing them?
Is someone promoting them somewhere?
I mean no offense to anyone who is producing this work but I would love to know WHY????
Does ANYONE actually like them??
someone told that there nail are great and did not tell the truth

Last edited:
Oh I was wondering what these crock shoes were. I wouldn't be seen dead in shoes like that... 5inch heels all the way pour moi!! (of course now I have to say no offense to anyone whop wears these :rolleyes:)... but not my idea of femininity!!

You wouldn't believe how popular they are here! Originally they were meant as gardening shoes (which is odd since they have all those holes in them). Even nurses starting wearing them because they are so comfortable but they they got banned in hospitals because of the holes - unsanitary.

Now they are all the rage with kids. There are little things (widgets, I think) they can put in the holes to decorate them with things like basketballs, flowers etc... They compete to have the most widgets! I agree they are hideous, but somewhat cute on kids!

Ok, sorry, back to flares!

Thats a long time....got any pictures? would like to see.
x

me too!

I can't put pics up either but would be very interested if someone can show pics! never heard of this befor

me too!

I can't put pics up either but would be very interested if someone can show pics! never heard of this befor

the pics are on here... go to page three and scroll down - there is a post with a link to Nails Mag - click on and ummmmmmmmm enjoy!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't believe how popular they are here! Originally they were meant as gardening shoes (which is odd since they have all those holes in them).

Curly Q, that has just made me realise :idea: of course! THAT is what these flared nails are good for . . . . . they are GARDENING NAILS lol! Who needs a dibber to plant out their seedlings when you can scratch and scrape with a set of flares! :lol:

Seriously though, sorry Wild, do not hate you hun, good on you for wearing what you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just returned from a "trade show" I asked other school owners and instructors about this trend. From the information I gathered, the "look" was created by an innovative discount salon by placing a tip on with the well side creating the free edge. The new twist was created to entice new clients (back to sound marketing) offer the newest latest thing and run with it, make it different to be noticable but similar enough to current trend for people to try.

Interesting Geni .. are we all that bored and gullible that we can be enticed by this sort of marketing?? I guess many must be!

I have just seen a pic of these nails and :eek::eek::eek::eek: yuk yuk yuk,
sorry to any one who likes them but for me urgh

If you'll check out the Beauty Tech board, BeautyTech Beauty Professionals Networking on the Net- for the Nail Tech, Salon and Day Spa Owner, Cosmetologist, Esthetician, go to the nail tech section, and do a search on 'flares', there should be a bunch of posts that come up. One tech in particular, Nanny, who goes by AllTheRage on the bt does what she calls 'California Flares', and also some awesome stilettos. She says she's been doing flares for years.

The generally concensus on that board is that it's not that well liked, but we do appreciate a well done nail, no matter what the shape.

I have been doing flare nails since 1999. It is sooooo not new at all. I guess it takes a while to get around the world. Yes they may be different but there are alot of types of nails on here that are different to me. The art nails and the colored acrylic nails are so different to me. If someone walked into the shop I work at with nails like that me and the other nails techs would think they went to the NSS shop for that. Everything is different in different places in the world. The flares didn't start in California either. I know techs here in Texas who have been doing them since the late 80's. It's just a different style that people like, just like the colored and art nails.
Here's some pics. Love 'em or hate 'em.

Picture064.jpg

Picture154.jpg

Picture050-1.jpg

nails005.jpg

I live in Northern California, I have never seen 'flare' nails in real life, and I always, always look at a person's nails. I personally find over the top nail art and flares tacky, I prefer very natural looking enhancements...of course, my mother currently has flowers and bunnies on her nails, so clearly opinions differ!

This is not something I can see catching on with my clients! Mine are mostly pink and white only and maybe a bit of twilight if I'm lucky!!

Julie

I can't help it, I still just want to get my file out and sort out the sidewalls :lol:

I'm sure they take skill to do as it goes against everything you learn and if thats what a client wants then fair enough but I still dont get it.:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back