Ugly duck nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats your opinion of Flared nails??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou hun, x
I have as I said I would just done a flare nail on myself ...and I still don't like them lol.
I normally go for a soft stilleto, I have dumpy fingers and this shape for me seems to elongate my fingers,wheras I felt this flare nail..made my nail look even dumpier !
Also I still can't see how people don't constantly catch the sides...as they do poke out so much.
I could see me ripping one off, as soon as I sat in the driving seat.

I only did pink and white as its like gone midnight here now,
But I had to have a go,
I prefered to see them in real life

I have now ovalled it off now, and its all dainty again...
I havent uploaded pictures yet, But I will tomorrow,
I know some geeks will be cringing at the fact I even did it lol,
My boyfriend walked in, and said "oh no way...get that off now :eek:"

But as you will see from my gallery, I'll have a go of anything

Well...I am definatley not a flare convert, But I had a go....:

ooo ooo ooo =====>>>>> goes off to do a flare because emmsy did!!!

Just to add ,when i was in the US for three weeks,i called in every salon i saw,just explaining i was a tech could i take a peek at what you are doing,all said yes,some were very interested in what's happening in the UK trend wise,i didn't once see ANYONE sporting this look. I understand the US is huge,but from what i saw long square is by far the most popular :idea:

I also understand words like ugly seem negative and not constructive,however the majority of technicians constantly strive to beautify hands,enhancing (improving) what the client already has,creating a complementary form.

I also appreciate some tech's and clients alike will be more interested in the art and even "shock" factor when it comes to nail enhancements,however i would personally rather loose their custom than go against everything i have been taught and strive to achieve within our industry.

Just my thoughts on the matter :D

Ok, this is the deal. A lot of people have been coming to my defense when in fact I have taken a lot of comments from SalonGeek with a grain of salt. I realize that not everybody will like the flare nail and I am ok with that. I think a lot of people in the USA are offended with comments like ugly, clumsy and so on. Personally I think comments like ugly and clumsy can be a bit harsh but at the same time I don't really care because I know who I am and what I am able to do as a nail tech. All I have to say is dare to be different! Offer the flare to your clients and see what happens. If you are comfortable with what you do for your clients, then that's ok also. But like you and everybody else on whatever board, this is just my opinion. I haven't taken offense and hopefully you will not either. One more thing... to critique with words like "ugly and clumsy" is not to critique in a civilized manner, IMO.

Nanny

DSCN7498.jpg

DSCN8311.jpg
If you read my post again I think you will see that this is my opinion, it is not a critique - just my opinion.

I'd just like to ask...why are all these nails so far down the nail bed...?? (the colour/art)....is this all part of the look...? They all look like they have short nail beds. They also give the appearence of looking quite thick.

I have done my flare..

I think where the smile is placed is down to the tech.. as i managed to get mine in my normal position.. i encased crushed shell in the "flare" but even so.. they feel thick.. i mean i encase in other shapes and i dont have this problem..
perhaps because thier is so much free edge they just seem thicker.. i dunno.. but after about half an hour filing one finger with 10 different grits i still feel its wieght??!!

i put the form on and didnt close it at first.. but half way through i closed it because there was zero c curve happening and it felt wierd.. plus i had to stop myself from bringing in the side walls.. and as its my first attempt im not sure if i got the shape right.

million $$ question.. Do i like it???

eeeeek.. I dont hate it... (sheryls going to kiiillllll me!!!)
but seriously.. It feels so wrong it might be right!!

Ok..maybe.. you really do have to wear and see them to appreciate them.. pictures may not do justice.. or maybe im just being extremely vain and its cause i did it.. lmao.. i dunno..
not sure i could wear the shape on every finger i have my other fingers very neutral fe square with a cb pink.. just this big @rsed thumb Fe that could help the olympic swimmers win gold!!

So i dont exactly like it.. but i far from hate it.. but i faar from love it...

yea but no but yeah but... we'll see.:smack:

Wheres the picture Chels?

Well, here is my attempt..
as I said I still DO NOT like them,
I can say though I have now seen one in the flesh so to speak,...not my english cup of tea I'm afraid :green:

here you go...PLEASE feel free to comment on this nail of MINE as you like...
I will not be offended whatsoever at anybody who doesnt like it :lol:

Abbiesschooltrip056.jpg

Abbiesschooltrip057.jpg

Abbiesschooltrip055.jpg

Abbiesschooltrip054.jpg

Now I EMMSIED it a bit !:lol:
Abbiesschooltrip058.jpg

Abbiesschooltrip060.jpg

Still not perfect but obviously I didnt shape it this way from the best canvass......But "pass the pj tips "
:green:

hahaha emma all i can think when i see flares now is F%ck ugly flipper nails.. and i wearing one.. (waaaaaa)

ok ill put my pics up first thing in the morning..

Edit to say.. emma thats a quite conservative flipper...

I'm just waiting in suspense now for the first person to come along, who obviously hasnt read the content of the thread and tells me
" i need to file my sidewalls in a little "
lmao :green:

I have to agree with most people, I don't like them either. Sorry but much prefer natural look.

If you read my post again I think you will see that this is my opinion, it is not a critique - just my opinion.

Listen, I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I do realize you did not critique any one in particular. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, it's just that words like ugly and clumsy do in fact represent a general critique which just so happens to be your opinion. I know that when I see something I don't like I can express my self in a way that conveys my message without being so critical. But then again, what does it matter, huh? If I had a nickle for every time someone expressed dislike for the flare, I would be a millionaire by now. I'm gonna drop it now and I just hope at the very least you can enjoy my art as opposed to my flare. By the way, I have a new look of nails in the works, maybe you will take to this new look better then the flare. Stay tuned my friend!

Nanny

To answer the question, how popular they are in the US....

I live very close to a US border and cross often. The styles are much the same - this forum was my first view of flare nails. Perhaps they are popular in larger cities. I've not seen them here or in the States (upstate New York area) once. I don't see a lot of stilettos either. It's all about French here.

About the practicality.... they seem to be chosen by clients who don't need a lot of practicality with their hands judging by the length alone.

Listen, I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I do realize you did not critique any one in particular. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, it's just that words like ugly and clumsy do in fact represent a general critique which just so happens to be your opinion. I know that when I see something I don't like I can express my self in a way that conveys my message without being so critical. But then again, what does it matter, huh? If I had a nickle for every time someone expressed dislike for the flare, I would be a millionaire by now. I'm gonna drop it now and I just hope at the very least you can enjoy my art as opposed to my flare. By the way, I have a new look of nails in the works, maybe you will take to this new look better then the flare. Stay tuned my friend!

Nanny

I favoured ovals when square was King. I hated the shape and nail art.

It is all a matter of taste and opinion - which is what I expressed.

I wish you well.

Well I guess its about time I put my two penneth in here.

Firstly congratulations to you all....having the guts to put your work up, knowing it may be controversial is a huge leap that so many may not be brave enough to take....including me in most cases! The artwork in many of the pics so far is outstanding!

I have now sat back and watched and read, considering carefully before forming an opinion, I have printed (they'll now be destroyed as I wouldn't dream of abusing anyone elses work - it was purely for examples sake) a couple of pictures and shown them to clients, and the verdict from them (they are my income) is that they wouldn't want nails like these. Now this was a diverse section of clients, one a 19 yr old 'girl about town' who has something different each time. She often comes in with pictures of her own from fashion mags and we attempt to do what we can. Currently she is sporting square marbled glittery tips in coppery colours with coverage pink on the nails bed. Her comment was 'Yuck....never'

The second an older lady, in her fifties....she has french or colour. Her comment, "Well I guess its what these younger things are wearing but it won't last!"

The third, I emailed to my wild and crazy friend to ask her if she fancied a set of these when she visited me later in the year....she replied if I forced her....she was cancelling the visit!!

Incidentally, all this was before Emmsy put her pics up and whilst I still don't like them, I can honestly say that my first impression was that they were at least a big improvement as there does seem some elegance to the nails, with the length of the nail bed. The other examples I've seen (in this thread and through other sites) seem to be IMO out of balance and the nail bed looks too short. (And Emms....they look blo*dy lovely once you'd 'Emmsied' them into almonds!)

I know there are alwasy going to be people out there who will wear 'fashions' and will want whatever the trends dictate, but I can hardly imagine these becoming the new vogue.....

Look forward to seeing Chels' picture's too....I love seeing the differences that appear across all of the miles. As i say, it may not all be my cup of tea but I enjoy learning what hot and what not and where....

Gosh it has taken me all day to read this. First of all the title of this thread is insulting "Ugly duck nails." I think saying "I don't care for this shape" is one thing. But ugly, gardening tools and so forth IS insulting. I rarely go on Nail Geek. But not too impressed with the LOVE I feel on here. I am a BT fan all the way. Very, Very rarely does anyone have such the aweful attitude as this. I am a huge fan of Nanny. I have saved every picture that she has posted on BT, because her creativity is endless. She is creative, beautiful and has so much wisdom to share. She was in Nail magazine last month. I can't say that. How many of you can? Why can't you just look at her work and say something positive? Instead of UGLY, gardening tools, using for swimming! I wish more people would sit in my chair and said "Give me something different." I get tired of P&W's. I want someone to see my nails on the street and say that girl is creative! That is the best compliment to me. Clients can go to the NSS shops and get P&W's all day. But can they get the nail art that Nanny provides? NO WAY! I love you Nanny keep it up. You go Girl!:hug:

Opinions on nails are something that everyone is entitled to, but coming to a site just to knock it and refer to everyone's 'aweful attitude' (I assume you mean awful - 'awe' is when you actually like something) is downright rude and disrepectful.

I respectfully suggest to those who prefer other boards, that they stay there and enjoy their own space as some of us choose to do here. I have found some of the most wonderful and loving people in the WORLD on this site and have no doubt that no matter how good nails are elsewhere...the people wouldn't be anywhere near as amazing, loving and respectful as they are here.

Last edited:
I have tried to avoid reading anymore of this thread but it's difficult not to.

I hold my hands up and say I did vote on this - 'they look unnatural and ugly'. This is because it was the only option that suited my personal opionon. I wish I had given it a little more thought at the time and not voted at all now as none of the options totally suited my opinion. I think they look unnatural but I don't think they are ugly (that's such a strong word really isn't it?).

Emmsybabes - I think your work on here is absolutely gorgeous even though it was a flare. I certainly wouldn't call it ugly, far from it. I hope that I can produce work of this standard one day.

Gilly T x

She was in Nail magazine last month. I can't say that. How many of you can?

Nails magazine by the way is a US publication and we don't get it over here.....our equivalent is 'Scratch'.....and many of the techs in this thread alone have work featured regularly in it.

To anyone: if you think that there isn't a decent tech outside of your own country....think again. You are talking to some of the worlds best on here.

She is creative, beautiful and has so much wisdom to share.
Many people have said that Nanny is creative
and a few have asked for her to share her "wisdom" on here too.

She was in Nail magazine last month. I can't say that. How many of you can?
Actually quite a lot of geeks have had their work featured in nail magazines :lol:

Why can't you just look at her work and say something positive?
Many people have complimented Nanny on her "artistic flare" if you go and look :rolleyes:

Instead of UGLY, gardening tools, using for swimming!
As already stated, I do belive that these comments were made before pictures were posted.....they were NOT directed at any one person,
But a general comment.
I have had people tell me, that my stilleto nails look like witches claws ....do I get offended ...NO, because they DO look like witches claws lol,
Just as the shape of a "flare" nail shape is similar to the shape of some gardening tools....and VERY similar shape to swimming flippers....you CANNOT argue with that...its a simple FACT!
Nanny has actually been a star through all of this NANNY herself accepts that not everyone will like them...and seems intelligent enough to understand people have their own oppinions, and that we all have freedom of speech...

And the majority of geeks have said along the lines of
"no we don't like them...but if it floats your boat then yayy you !"

It is good research sometimes to find out what reactions certain things recieve....if someone posted something on here and we didnt really like it,
But thought we best be "polite" and say we did so as not to offend..
Where's that going to get anyone !
Nowhere...

You come on here and have a go at all of us for our attitudes...with exactly the same attitude you are moaning about....
Go figure :confused:

A link to prove my point !!!!
http://images.athleticstuff.com/f/7...astuff/assets/product_images/swimming/640.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back