unhygienic cuticle oil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi there

I was just watching some fab nail vids from nailzoo and I noticed he has a handy little

gadget for dispening the nail oil on the cuticle (so very hygienic.)

My point being I have heard so many people like solar oil,

but the way it is applied with the same brush going back into the bottle after each use

:eek: isn't this unhygienic ?:confused:

Yep!
We use an oil that has a built in dropper at the top, just a gentle squeeze of the plastic bottle ( not as pretty as glass but infected nails arent pretty either, i know which i prefer) applies one drop. Safe and Easy.
Hi there

I was just watching some fab nail vids from nailzoo and I noticed he has a handy little

but the way it is applied with the same brush going back into the bottle after each use

I've actually been looking to get a dropper like Carl's (nailzoo). I really like this..

And in answer to your question... part of me says "yes, it would be unhygienic"
HOWEVER
If you and your client have both washed your hands at the beginning of the service and used a sanitizing gel as well, and you use 'dehydrators' and 'nail cleanz's" throughout the service...etc.....
By the end of the service, if those nails aren't clean, I don't know what is.

Aside from if you inadvertently nicked the client with a new file, and wanting to avoid any 'cuts' and blood...and of course, if they have any kind of infection or whatever, you want to avoid getting in contact with that.
BUT
I would think in most cases, there wouldn't be anything unhygeinic about it, if there are no contraindications (ex: cuts and infection).

BUT
I still want one of those bottles:lol:
:hug:

I havent seen carls, but i got given a cuticle oil bottle with a little dropper from another nail tech, and i just keep refilling it with my solar oil. i emptied the other oil out of it and cleaned it etc.

Hi i use entity products and their cuticle oil comes in a pretty glass bottle with a dropper and the product is great also a few years ago le chat also sold one that came in several different flavors i don't know if they still sell it though but look up entity its really good stuff

I read somewhere on here that cuticle oil cannot harbor bacterias etc because it is not water based..
Therefore it is safe to use a brush applicator..

I cant see how it would be unhygenic to brush the cuticle oil on, as clients and tech's hands would be sanitised wouldnt they?!

I use both, a dropper and a brush, both Solar oil from Creative!

Hi i use entity products and their cuticle oil comes in a pretty glass bottle with a dropper and the product is great also a few years ago le chat also sold one that came in several different flavors i don't know if they still sell it though but look up entity its really good stuff

i love the entity dropper bottle.
le chat oil now comes with a brush though. so because i adore the le chat cucumber oil, i put that into my entity bottle.

Hi there

I use the large bottle of solar oil. It came with a dropper and a brush. The brush got chucked into one of my draws somewhere, never to be seen again. I always use the dropper

Cuticle oil from The Edge comes with a dropper as well.

Cuticle oil from The Edge comes with a dropper as well.

I love The Edge's Cuticle Oil, and I much prefer using the dropper to a brush. NSI's Nurture Oil also comes with a dropper.

Nurture oil from NSI is a dropper too. And smell s lovely.

NurtOilRT2.jpg

ooops Claire beat me to it hee hee

My solar oil is in a bottle with a dropper:confused:

I have the large solar oil that comes with the dropper and brush so you have the choice of which one to use, and yes i use the dropper as i find it quicker to dispense

I read somewhere on here that cuticle oil cannot harbor bacterias etc because it is not water based..
Therefore it is safe to use a brush applicator..

Good point Jayne, my cuticle oil does not contain water either and it is a brush on, I do want a dropper though lol.

Teri x:hug:

If you get the 68ml bottle of Solar Oil it comes with a Brush and a Dropper as well

HTH vicky x

Thank you everyone once again for all your help.:hug:

I was just a bit concerned about germs being carried in the oil, but it was reassuring to
know they cant be passed this way :)
I think I would still prefer a dropper though :hug: (Psychological I guess)

you have all given me lots to go on thanks I love the look of the nurture oil too,

gonna look at them all in my catalogues and research the rest mentioned :)x

I have a friend who was trained but didnt have a bottle with a dropper. SHe just used birch wood sticks with cotton wool on the end. obviously she ddnt redip it into the bottle, but it was just as easy.

but i guess a dropper is less time consuming.

From what i understand, bacteria does need water to grow..so technically bacteria wouldnt be able to reproduce in a bottle of solar oil BUT they can live for up to 24 hours (imagine all the clients you are servicing in that time)..sanitising alone wont kill microbes that could be transferred into your bottle via the brush.(just think of those clients who are habitual eponychium pickers, or blow their nose during the service)..but unless you have a electron microscope and disinfecting your clients..how do you REALLY know whats floating around in your bottle?
Why not use the dropper that is supplied with the bottle?
Contaminates or not..that bottle ends up looking pretty cloudy after a while...YUK!

We have health inspectors come in once a year to inspect sanitation (whoo hoo, we have always passed) But last year I got into a conversation with him about the pomades,waxes etc we use that are out of a jar type container....
The companies sell them without any other means of use except your fingers.
He said we should be using a small spatula to get product out but using only one per use, in other words, do not re use the spatula. This is what got me thinking about the brush applications with oil. Then I read on here that it cannot become infested with bacteria because of lack of water.

I use a brush and my cuticle oil has never turned cloudy, but whenever I have used the brush, It always passes thru me wee brain about cross contaimination. Then again, I use Cool Blue before I apply the cuticle oil just to be safe.
If my oil did become cloudy..I would assume it just went bad and out it goes.

Latest posts

Back