Use and abuse of Ebay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you buy from Ebay

• Only Nail Art supplies

Votes: 133 38.4%
  • Enhancement stuff, I cannot buy anywhere else

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Both

Votes: 63 18.2%
  • Don't buy prof stuff from Ebay

Votes: 142 41.0%

• Total voters

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
I cannot believe I am posting another Chit Chat thread - but I could not really justify putting this in Main LOL.

As a professional nail technician I HATE EBAY WITH A PASSION - well not really Ebay as such but the people who use it and abuse it.

I understood the use of e-bay was to sell things that you no longer wanted but it seems to have become a monster, particularly in the professional product arena.

I understand that bargains are to be had on nail art stuff, rhinestones, flowers, etc. etc. and I don't have a problem with this - I know of no one who has had a bad reaction to having a rhinestone applied to their nails.

Why do some people have no scruples - I know I am naiive - I never knowingly will do anything to hurt anyone, personally or business wise and naiively I expect the same of others. We all complain about E-bay this and Ebay that but if we as professionals did not buy professional products from Ebay then there would be a much reduced market.

If you cannot buy your professional products by the legitimate route then please have the respect to not buy it at all, or go legit.

So do you buy from Ebay professionally?

Good poll Fiona! I voted 'Nail Art supplies only' although tbh the rhinestones I bought were from an Ebay seller who posted on here (Crystal Queen)! I bought a cheap green nail polish for someone who wanted it as a one off for fancy dress party..... and I bought a tiny drill thing for attaching danglies to nails (never used it though, LOL).... That's it - nothing else, nada!!!

I too detest people selling Pro products on Ebay - if nothing else it devalues the work we do because clients/consumers see how much supplies are selling for and could think that for that price they could do it themselves and what are they paying us for?

And another thing (now you've got me going!), I hate the ads that are in the glossy mags at the mo for Rio kits saying 'do your own nails and stop the Nail Techs ripping you off' or words to that effect...... Talk about devaluing our skill.....:irked:

Ok, I'll stop now.......!!

Hi I use ebay to buy nail art stuff not gels tips and the like but I bought recently a lot of sexy men nail files from the states as a novelty item for my friends thats it really in the nail department but my partner and myself have sold fly and phatt pucks for ice hockey we are the main supplier in europe we have sold about 50 and will be selling more you can't buy these unless you visit the states but a lot of hockey kids want them for practice as the've seen em on the web an in the mags we make about a quid on each one and a percentage goes to my kids hockey club so I am happy to use ebay and the feedback of the people I've sold them to for thier kids has been great we even arrange for the kids from all over the uk to come to tournaments so if it wasnt for ebay, I know this thread is about nail stuff and I agree you should'nt buy enhancements I use nsi n star nails buy the way but not all ebayers are bad uns:!:

I often buy nail art stuff, & even then you notice the difference in quality alot of the time it's the risk you take. SOmetimes I end up using it in craft projects cause it's not good enough to use on clients.
As for all your points about buying /selling professional products illegitimately, couldn't agree more.

juju said:
Hi I use ebay to buy nail art stuff not gels tips and the like but I bought recently a lot of sexy men nail files from the states as a novelty item for my friends thats it really in the nail department but my partner and myself have sold fly and phatt pucks for ice hockey we are the main supplier in europe we have sold about 50 and will be selling more you can't buy these unless you visit the states but a lot of hockey kids want them for practice as the've seen em on the web an in the mags we make about a quid on each one and a percentage goes to my kids hockey club so I am happy to use ebay and the feedback of the people I've sold them to for thier kids has been great we even arrange for the kids from all over the uk to come to tournaments so if it wasnt for ebay, I know this thread is about nail stuff and I agree you should'nt buy enhancements I use nsi n star nails buy the way but not all ebayers are bad uns:!:

Sorry if I came across that I was saying all Ebayers are baduns - not at all - in your situation, you are providing a niche market and that is good.

What I have a problem with is people who are possibly importing hazardous goods from abroad and selling to any Tom, Dick or Harriett without a care in the world as to what they will then do with it - these sellers are greedy and down right dangerous.

Yeah I agree on that one with the chemicals do you really know what you're buying PEOPLE THAT DO BUY THESE DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING ANYWAY you dont know if youre getting what it states on the bottle they could be filling em up with anything mind you Iv'e just bought some northern lights from usa to try for personal use but i've not seen it in my nail suppliers and heard about how nice it was that was of ebay.com oops

i have only ever brought nail art things like gems etc, i wouldnt consider buy enhancement stuff from there as i have a supplier xxxxx

NailsFrmHeaven said:
i have only ever brought nail art things like gems etc, i wouldnt consider buy enhancement stuff from there as i have a supplier xxxxx

same here - i only use it to buy rhinestones anything else im straight to creative x

I never buy any of my nail products from ebay, such as liquid and powder, files etc. I buy straight ffrom my supplier creative. Anyway every time i see products getting sold on there its normally for more money than we would buy them at so you are not reallyu getting a bargain. I do buy rhinestones and other bits and bobs though.

personally i love ebay.... but thats nt for professional nail products... that is a massive no no... i support my uk distributors!!!!!

ebay is great when you wanna find that old cd, a just have bag or something...

i have got a paper punch on ebay before as i couldnt find the one i wanted anywhere but again its nt a professional nail product... i just used it for some nail art and french twist nails and to be honest its sitting in a box nt really being used....lol

Jess
xox

Yep me too, nail art products only - just got a fab bargain on a huge quantity of assorted shapes and colours of 'rhinestones' - I appreciate that they may not be of the quality that the nail art manufacturers and suppliers in England provide, but I use them for kids nail art parties and school fairs so noone is expecting Swarovski crystals anyway lol!!

This is a good thread but have to say that I wouldn't imagine that anyone who does buy their professional stuff off Ebay is gonna admit it on this site anyway!!!

PS sorry bout the awful yellow 'glow' around my username, was experimenting with the colour and now can't get it to change to something easier on the eye!!

I dont buy any prof products off ebay, but I do buy a lot of clothes etc, and i have also sold a lot of baby stuff on there too.:green:

I use Ebay too for lots of stuff, kids clothes, plants, plastic bags etc. etc but never for my nail stuff.

Personally, I just dont like the place for anything! I'd prefer to buy everything brand new. That way I have no doubts about it and can have my statutory rights to have a full refund or exchange.

If I wanted rhinestones or anything unusual, and its on Geekbaby I'd prefer to get it from there, where I believe the majority of sellers are genuine!:)

I voted that i have never bought any nail stuff from ebay but have now remembered that i did actually buy the mini size of scrubfresh & that was because being mobile i wanted a little bottle to take with me, but that was the one & only thing.
One of the things i don't understand is you see all this Creative stuff being sold for less than the trade price, I can't see how they can possibly make a profit if its genuine & if it isn't genuine how come they keep getting business ?!

You could be getting anything, that's the trouble with ebay. Just because something is in a named container it doesn't mean that is the product. For example: how many of us have empty containers? Personally I throw them away but someone could advertise this as a certain product and put ANY old stuff in there.
How would you know? And even if you did know - how would you prove it?
Buy from your retailer, keep away from ebay for nail products. How could you ever be 100% sure?
It's good for other thing like fishing tackle, old CD's that you have lost etc. JMHO.

I clicked both. I have bought gelbond and my master seris pro styler came from ebay it was brand new still in its case with the gummy glue all in it still. I also admit I have just bought some coloured powder in small tester pots to practice 3d flowers and that. I do buy my monomer and powder I use for clients from creative though. I have bought rhinestones as well

I do buy nail art stuff from ebay sometimes, but would never buy any other nail related things. I mainly use it for nail art items that I'm going to use for kids parties. xx

Bombinigirl said:
I voted that i have never bought any nail stuff from ebay but have now remembered that i did actually buy the mini size of scrubfresh & that was because being mobile i wanted a little bottle to take with me, but that was the one & only thing.
One of the things i don't understand is you see all this Creative stuff being sold for less than the trade price, I can't see how they can possibly make a profit if its genuine & if it isn't genuine how come they keep getting business ?!
they make a profit as they purchase through the manufacturer not the distributor outlets thereby cutting out shop and staff costs etc..this is affecting most businesses not just nails..people going direct to the manufacturer and setting up a online shop.

Lol - never - ever bought anything at all off ebay :lol:

Latest posts

Back