Use and abuse of Ebay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you buy from Ebay

• Only Nail Art supplies

Votes: 133 38.4%
  • Enhancement stuff, I cannot buy anywhere else

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Both

Votes: 63 18.2%
  • Don't buy prof stuff from Ebay

Votes: 142 41.0%

• Total voters
naturalnails said:
I use Ebay too for lots of stuff, kids clothes, plants, plastic bags etc. etc but never for my nail stuff.

LOL hun, until I re-read this I thought it said 'Pants' tee hee, buying ur undies from ebay!!!

I have only ever got some rhinestones from ebay - and they were just when I was starting out and not even working on the public, just to 'see what they looked like on the nail trainer'.

IMO - nail art items are not really THAT much cheaper than buying from your suppliers anyway, and personally, I would rather pay a pound extra to know I'm getting EXACTLY what I'm ordering.:biggrin:

As for professional products, that is a total no no. You really do not know what is going on behind the computer screen of someone else - or what they are putting in pots and selling to the public.

I saw a seller on there once, selling high-end skin care items for a really cheap price, and the feedback from buyers was "please do not buy - terrible allergic reaction on my face" -:eek: Thats quite awful imo - but - if something seems too good to be true on ebay then it probably is!!! lol x

Personaly I would never buy my proffesional products on ebay. I would sell stuff and buy other things for personal use only.

I'm brave replying to this thread, nearly didnt actually, but as you all know, I just do nails as a hobbie. I love practacing on myself but havent taken a course or anything yet.
So where do I get my products? ...Ebay.

Even though a valid point made, you can never be sure of what your getting, but thats why you do a bit of research on the seller. However, that doesnt really guarantee anything if theyre out to sell bad stuff in re-filled bottles!

I have NEVER done anyone elses nails except my own, not even any mates. (dont have any since I moved) LOL 'Just call me Billy'
But, seriously, I live in the sticks, the nails bars in town (10 miles away) want £40 - £50 for a set of plain Acrylics which I think is scandalous when I can do them myself.
I used to go to a pro every fortnight where I used to live 200 miles away in Bolton.
Mine usually lift and ping off withing 2 weeks anyway.
But if a nail broke or lifted, my hands looked 'odd' until I could get another appointment with her. At least doing them myself, If one comes off, I replace it that night. I never get to the stage of in-fills, cos theyre usually all replaced one by one by then. And every six months or so I give my nails a break.
I have bought everything from ebay, liquid, powder, files, polishes, brushes, stickers even a dappen dish!
And even though most of you professionals dont agree with it, my point is, that I dont have a trade card let alone a supplier near me and use ebay for convenience. I practice on ONLY MYSELF and would never do anyone else cos I'm not trained... simple.
I'm getting better all the time and love this site for info on things, ideas and stuff that I do wrong. I do my nails as my hobbie.

I take the risk, but only on myself. :wink2:

(hope you all dont hate me now for being honest) LOL

I never buy any prof nail products from ebay. You never know if the product is genuine and its probably more expensive.

Also I just can't be bothered to search through the listings, then bid for a week, then pay with a cheque or paypal etc....

Why would I want to do all that when I can ring up hyperion with my list and get it all ordered, pay for it then and get it all delivered in one package!!

xxxxxxxxxx

Just nail art stuff for me. I have bought rhinestones (Crystal Queen) & nail art pens from ebay but that's it. I would never buy my professional products from ebay, all my professional stuff comes from Creative. I prefer to keep ebay for selling my 'junk' anyway.

I bought some dried flowers and an IBD DVD the other day from a seller on Ebay - wish i hadn't now.

The flowers were HUGE no way that you could sink them into gel or fit them on nails. They were fat and too big. I was really annoyed as she had sold them as NSI flowers and I presumed they would be OK.

Also the DVD that I bought wasn't actually a DVD it was a something else that only works in computers.
It looked like a copied DVD when I took it out the packet -which isn't normally a problem with my DVD player so I stuck it in.
The DVD player simply told me it was a BAD DVD!! and then froze!!!! It took me two days of shaking and playing around with it to get the DVD out again!!

I complained and the seller agreed I could send them back and exchange them. She told me that the DVD wasn't a DVD as such but a PC DVD! oh right cos I am psychic and simply know these things without being told!
And they had sold thousands of these flowers and never had a complaint - how i don't know they were awful.

Have sent them back now and asked for some glitter and crushed shells in replacement - just hope that they are small enough.
Had to pay two lots of postage too so in all not such a bargain and has been a total pain in the ass.

Moral of the story is - you get what you paid for - aim cheap get cheap!!!

I then went to my local supplier and bought the nice small dried flowers I had seen there and an IBD gel try me kit - which came with a very nice little booklet explaining the application and cure times.

Never buying nail products on ebay again!!!!:grr:

Bombinigirl said:
One of the things i don't understand is you see all this Creative stuff being sold for less than the trade price, I can't see how they can possibly make a profit if its genuine & if it isn't genuine how come they keep getting business ?!

This is what gets me too.....how can they sell it at less than trade prices...
where do they get it from?....
and by what method?...
There just has to be something underhand & illegal somewhere along the line....and then they send flammable material out by Royal Mail!!!:evil:

I voted nailart supplies only... rhinestones... I am on the lookout for a Nail Trainer though and have bid on a few via ebay but so far been unsuccessful.

The only was I can see the ebay sellers being able to price Pro products so cheap is that they import them and skip the taxes/customs/import charges, totally illegal and most definitely carrying a potential sentence and fine if caught... OR that they have friends/relatives who go abroad and manage to buy stock at cheaper prices... again evading the taxes/customs/import charges.

The day will come when 'they get their just desserts', and rightly so too IMO !!!

i only buy little bits of nail art products off ebay, i bought some rhinestones off the crystal queen the other day and they are lovely :biggrin:

Do any of you think that Ebay could be a way to 'fence' stolen goods?? I mean what kind of checks if any are done on these sellers and the items they sell?

I know nothing about ebay and have no desire to buy anything from that source and I never have but it seems to me to be an easy way to get rid of stolen property if someone wants to.

geeg said:
Do any of you think that Ebay could be a way to 'fence' stolen goods?? I mean what kind of checks if any are done on these sellers and the items they sell?

I know nothing about ebay and have no desire to buy anything from that source and I never have but it seems to me to be an easy way to get rid of stolen property if someone wants to.

Oh Yes, I agree. It would be very easy to sell on 'stolen' items.
However ebay do have policies you must abide by and selling stolen or counterfiet goods is punishable in their terms and conditions.
But you have to get found out of course. Theres absolutely nothing stopping you saying its legit or real when it isnt. When your sceptical, you have to research, and if that doesnt help you, and your still not 100% happy, then I dont buy it. :eek:

geeg said:

My thoughts exactly! Who would know if something was stolen / off the back of a lorry?!

geeg said:

Thats a good point that I had never thought of. Its an ideal place to get rid of stolen goods from nail salons, theres no tracebility on it. I'm in the wouldn't buy it camp myself, theres no guarantee you will get whats in the photo, theres not a lot (even though ebay say there is) that will be done if you do get conned or sent a load of crap so I'd rather wait til I'm all qualified and converted than become frustrated with Creative fakes. JMO

geeg said:
Do any of you think that Ebay could be a way to 'fence' stolen goods??
Most definitely... the only problem is... it would be one persons word against another.
It would be a good place to 'launder' stolen goods.

I doubt that the people selling goods on ebay have a receipt to prove their purchase, and as we all know you don't get receipts with stolen goods either!
If anyone was found to be receiving stolen goods then they are liable to be charged with 'handling' stolen goods by the Police, even if they're unaware that the goods weren't 'above board' in the first place!!!

Tsia said:
Oh Yes, I agree. It would be very easy to sell on 'stolen' items.
However ebay do have policies you must abide by and selling stolen or counterfiet goods is punishable in their terms and conditions.
But you have to get found out of course. Theres absolutely nothing stopping you saying its legit or real when it isnt. When your sceptical, you have to research, and if that doesnt help you, and your still not 100% happy, then I dont buy it. :eek:

I agree, Ebay have policies as you say but they only seem to exercise these policies when it suits them - if you have the clout to complain and make Ebay take notice then that's OK - for example Bob Geldoff managed to get the Band8 tickets to be banned from sale on Ebay.

I used to get notified daily on anything listed in nails that mentioned Creative - I used to send hazardous substance listing e-mails to Ebay several times a day and I never saw one listing being removed - policies like this are not worth the paper they are written on IMHO.

Tsia said:
I'm brave replying to this thread, nearly didnt actually, but as you all know, I just do nails as a hobbie. I love practacing on myself but havent taken a course or anything yet.
So where do I get my products? ...Ebay.

Even though a valid point made, you can never be sure of what your getting, but thats why you do a bit of research on the seller. However, that doesnt really guarantee anything if theyre out to sell bad stuff in re-filled bottles!

I have NEVER done anyone elses nails except my own, not even any mates. (dont have any since I moved) LOL 'Just call me Billy'
But, seriously, I live in the sticks, the nails bars in town (10 miles away) want £40 - £50 for a set of plain Acrylics which I think is scandalous when I can do them myself.
I used to go to a pro every fortnight where I used to live 200 miles away in Bolton.
Mine usually lift and ping off withing 2 weeks anyway.
But if a nail broke or lifted, my hands looked 'odd' until I could get another appointment with her. At least doing them myself, If one comes off, I replace it that night. I never get to the stage of in-fills, cos theyre usually all replaced one by one by then. And every six months or so I give my nails a break.
I have bought everything from ebay, liquid, powder, files, polishes, brushes, stickers even a dappen dish!
And even though most of you professionals dont agree with it, my point is, that I dont have a trade card let alone a supplier near me and use ebay for convenience. I practice on ONLY MYSELF and would never do anyone else cos I'm not trained... simple.
I'm getting better all the time and love this site for info on things, ideas and stuff that I do wrong. I do my nails as my hobbie.

I take the risk, but only on myself. :wink2:

(hope you all dont hate me now for being honest) LOL

Tsia, that is different. You are not doing it as a trade, you are not charging anyone for your services. It's up to you what you do to yourself...and you do a good job of it looking at your photos...I am not a make up artist but I wear make up, I am not a hairdresser but I blow dry my own hair (hate doing it tho!) No one should judge you on this one.

x

Pickle said:
Tsia, that is different. You are not doing it as a trade, you are not charging anyone for your services. It's up to you what you do to yourself...and you do a good job of it looking at your photos...I am not a make up artist but I wear make up, I am not a hairdresser but I blow dry my own hair (hate doing it tho!) No one should judge you on this one.

x
Thanks Pickle. xxx

Pickle said:

x

Ditto that pickle, what Tsia does is different. I dare say Tsia will book on a course in the future anyway maybe? - I think you should Tsia, your pretty good girlie!

I have no problems with Tsia because she buys her products from Ebay - I saw something on Tsia's Big Brother Banner thread that was (IMO) a bit out of order. Say no more - but its different when someone is getting their supplies and relying on ebay for that, and calling themselves a 'business'.

xxx

fificharlie said:
Ditto that pickle, what Tsia does is different. I dare say Tsia will book on a course in the future anyway maybe? - I think you should Tsia, your pretty good girlie!

I have no problems with Tsia because she buys her products from Ebay - I saw something on Tsia's Big Brother Banner thread that was (IMO) a bit out of order. Say no more - but its different when someone is getting their supplies and relying on ebay for that, and calling themselves a 'business'.

xxx

She should do a course shouldn't she francesXXX, she obviously has a natural flair for nails.
Some people really have to work at it and it doesn't always come naturally.

x

I usually just buy nail art product but i've also bought a dust extractore, and several non-nail related items like fake jewelry:)
I think e-bay is great but i would never depend on it, i usually but stuff that i simply can't find on stores.

Latest posts

Back