Use and abuse of Ebay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you buy from Ebay

• Only Nail Art supplies

Votes: 133 38.4%
  • Enhancement stuff, I cannot buy anywhere else

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Both

Votes: 63 18.2%
  • Don't buy prof stuff from Ebay

Votes: 142 41.0%

• Total voters
I dont know what bargains it is your all going on about. I just had a quick look at Calgel & Bio sculpture prices on e-bay & they are all more than double the price on my order forms. Some things are three times more. Cant understand why anyone would pay that much & if they do i'd like to know how much they charge for enhancements to make any money. Madness :eek:

If you know exactly what you are looking for, then Ebay is great. it's not good for trying new products.

I purchase from eBay, I love the site but to be honest there is a difference between personal use and business use.

For my OWN personal use I buy a few things off there beauty wise, not much as I go to the wholesalers. I prefere to get my stuff from there anyway. I buy my own O.P.I from eBay for the pure reason because of the price. I know proffessional products etc, but...think about it...the main income in a salon is not nail polishes, its the quality services you get with your quality products. Them purchasing a polish is just a bonus, but if you are not an O.P.I obsessed monkey like I am then you are not going to pay £10 + at a Beauty Salon for a polish when you can go to Superdrugs and buy a Bojouis or Collection 2000 of similar colour for a fraction of the price.

I however strongly think that if you are purchasing items for your business for clients then you go through the wholesalers to garantee top quality uncontaminated products.
Even for my own personal use I do not buy things like gel, acrylic etc from ebay anyway, I value my keratin on the ends of my fingers too much!

And another thing (now you've got me going!), I hate the ads that are in the glossy mags at the mo for Rio kits saying 'do your own nails and stop the Nail Techs ripping you off' or words to that effect...... Talk about devaluing our skill.....:irked:

Ok, I'll stop now.......!!

you remind me of a Greek hairdressing magazine which was indicating that nail technicians etc who work from home are convicting piracy...and it had a sticker saying *close your door at them* ... I understand that you have to do it and be legal by paying your taxes etc but that article was discriminating people... like saying *everyone* is evil and steals customers from nail salons etc...

I just got a fantastic new massage\beauty table off ebay for only $76 brand new. I was so excited I almost wet myself.

One would have to assume that all the 'professional' products being sold on ebay have to come from a supplier somewhere. Yes, there would be fake homebrew stuff on there but one would assume that large companies would have people in their employ who would check ebay to see if products are being sold under their name.

I'm sure creative etc wouldn't be too happy with fake products being sold that then tarnishes their business rep. (I'm not picking on creative but this is just an example) For instance, If 100 people go into one of the ebay sellers shops and buy creative monomer which turns out of be homebrew, then those 100 people would tell their friends, family, clients etc that creative is crap and don't use it. Those people would then tell their friends, family etc that they were told that creative is crap and not to use it - etc etc etc.
So, I would assume that these companies would be monitoring ebay to check this thing doesn't happen and report to ebay to close down these unauthorised sellers.

Because I would bet a lot of the shops on ebay are legitimate professional products that have been supplied by the big name companies. At the end of the day they don't care who they supply to and where they are being sold, so long as they are making money from the sale of their product.

I know of at least 2 suppliers in Australia I have bought through that have never asked for me to supply them with qualifications. One even gave me a trade card. You just say your qualifed and they hand it over.

I dont buy in ebay because I prefer myself to see the products...I like to go in shop is better for me.

I'm a person I dont know see with eyes only but also with the hands too :lol:

I would buy in ebay only if the product I'm want dont have here in my country. For example there some nails products we dont have here... then I sometimes I buy some I think useful, different and interesting :green:

I received the following info in an email today from Professional Beauty. It makes for interesting reading.

Professional Beauty and Professional Spa - Latest news

Professional brands fight unauthorised sales
Major skincare brands have spoken out about the dangers of purchasing beauty products from online auction websites, amid concerns that this practice is growing.

Professional brands are worried that products sold on the so-called “grey market” on unauthorised websites could be sub-standard; out of date; discontinued; tampered with; counterfeit or that they haven’t been stored appropriately, all of which could damage the brand’s integrity and pose dangers to buyers’ health.

A spokesperson for Clarins said that it had a dedicated team of experts working on the matter in Paris. “Consumers may think that they’re getting a bargain from a website but there’s no guarantee that the product hasn’t been opened or tampered with. Although it may appear in an official Clarins box, we can’t guarantee any Clarins product that isn’t sold from an official counter or representative. There are websites that sell our products in bulk and we’ve no idea where it’s all come from.”

At Dermalogica Glen Poy, UK general manager, believed that such practices highlighted the importance of communicating with its authorised accounts. He said: “Often the salon owner may not be aware that one of their staff or a friend has ‘tried to do them a favour’ by putting products on an auction site, so managing stock and staff is an important preventive element.”

He added: “Ultimately we rely on our skin treatment centres to uphold the brand and how it is represented to the consumer and hopefully we have developed a strong relationship to help them see the importance of the skin therapist in communicating our products and brand to the consumer.”

Lucinda Townend, marketing co-ordinator at Dermalogica, said that it was in constant discussions with websites such as ebay to combat this issue. “It’s hard to target the one-offs,” she said. “But we do work with ebay to close down accounts that are selling our products in bulk.”

The warning comes less than a month after the National Retail Federation (NRF) in the US announced that it had smashed an organised retail crime ring in Florida that is believed to have stolen up to $100m worth of health and beauty items over a period of five years.

Joseph LaRocca, NRF vice president of loss prevention, said that criminals often took advantage of shoppers by selling stolen merchandise through auction websites. “Many health and beauty products on these sites may have expired or been spoiled, posing health risks to the buyer,” he said.

LaRocca added: “Once the legitimate distributor is taken out of the equation, there is no guarantee that merchandise is safe.”

well yes i have i got some millennium tips of ebay as my local supplier had none. The lady i got them off told me she works for the company and sells their stuff there to promote her sales. Fine with me as the tips were genuine and sealed as they should have been and they were cheaper then my supplier. But out shopping today in the town centre, there was a make up stall selling all sorts of professional nail products. wont name them but definatley the preferred brand on salon geek. So asked where did you come across the products not usually for sale on the high street!!!. I was told bankrupt stock. Now that's just as bad as ebay. But we are all bargain hunters and some things are a bargain that's why ebay does so well. So how do you combat the high street and all the rest of the nation trying to pick up a bargain.

Last edited:
I have bought nail art stuff off ebay, Rhinestones, Flatstones, Striping Tape (never again as it was rubbish!) oh and cheap nail tips to practice my nail art on.

Here we go again over ebay. Well I've just received an email telling me that all her stock had been pulled off ebay. (IBD CREATIVE ORLY) After long talks with IBD they have now allowed this seller to resell their items only because they are a retail shop or sites that sells these products. So what are we supposed to do many other companies are going to follow suit sooner or later. Sorry but i thought that you might like to know that some companies are taking the matter serious but the seller is still getting around this.

hi i noticed that you are a nail tech trainer do you know anyone who wants a job?

I have bought nail art stuff, but haven't bought anything else and don't intend to either.

i must say I'm an Ebay addict & bargain hunter !! & love it & recommend it!! ..i'm not saying all sellers are genuine but there are many of these sellers that are honest,trustworthy & just want to earn a good honest living and reputation .

i bought my chair,couch,mag lamp,trolley and couch coverings nail lamp,U.V curing lamp & storage cabs from ebay not because they were cheap but because they were good quality and from respected suppliers & sellers... i needed them ,the price was right & reasonable within my budget & postage is always reasonable but others are a joke!...it would have cost me twice as much getting them from a salon equipment suppliers imo a bit pricey.

ive always found the sellers extremely helpful on the phone and thru email when querying about goods and honestly say that i have not been "palmed off" by any seller i have conversed with i have even been asked if i wanted to view before purchasing to come have a look at what i'm buying..my motorbikemaniac & ex-biker other half is an ebay seller ,has been for a long time & finds he makes a bigger pot of gold & bank balance selling T.O.R bikergear on ebay than he did when he had a shop ...

As for professional products i simply WOULD NOT BUY ..i support my UK suppliers, and i think its unproffessional to buy products like powders & liquids,gels,skincare products and machines anything chemical related from ebay, after all we are proffesionals arent we who has spent a few or so years training ... I work for myself like many of us on this site and others who have salons who know that invoices and reciepts are needed for re-stock & insurance purposes in an event of something happening to their business ..however on that note .

a friend of mine who did this once thinking on saving money.. bought gels and acrylic ..they ended up in the thrash because they weren't what they seemed & smelled terrible & ended up with the extra expense of paying for the professional products hence she learned from her mistakes..i always buy skin & chemical related products direct from the beauty suppliers as i like to see what i'm getting and the brand is recognised ..i shop mainly on ebay for designer clothes,shoes,designer gear,bags ect the odds & sods like pedi slippers for example and enjoy maxing the other halfs credit\cheque book <heehee> i like a bit of glamour & quirk in my wardrobe so i would rather use ebay than spend my weekend trawling thru the high street shops for hours & getting bored out my skull looking for something i like when i can do it at the click of a mouse .i bought a pair of D&G shades not long ago and absolutely love them(the real mc coy)..they didn't cost me the whacking ammount of what they're charging in the shops ..so yeah EBAY YOU ROCK !! imo there are alot of genuine sellers on ebay i check their feedback rating and If thats good enough for others it's good enough for me.ebay isn't all bad ...you get good bargains at a fraction of high street prices & always packed well when they arrive.

Last edited:
I only buy toe nail extentions from ebay!!! the guy great and the product is!!! I Pay like £4 for the whole lot, and comes from china!!!

My reason is as i cant get none round here!! i asked many suppliers, i work in sallys i asked head office they said noo!!

i use them myself as my toe nails dont grow!!!

And i brought the old thing, which was a creative brush!! as i needed it for that night!!! and i picked it up and i saw that i got some other creative products!!! nail files!!! all in sealed packeds the whole lot for £40 which was over £200 worth of stuff!!!! But i didnt want the whole kit i just needed the brush!!!

I used all them products to practise with, on my training hand and they was fine!!! i took them to the lady who i dont my course was with!!! She said to me there alot of fake stuff!!! She said u was lucky to get a new brush in a packet and loads of other stuff :)
but other than that nope!!! i havent in about 1year!!!

I gonna save up loads of money and go the creative shop, have a nice big spend up on loads of lovely products!!!!

I have bought loads of stuff off EBay and have been very happy/lucky. Got 2 beauty boxes for much cheaper than normal and they are sturdy and cute. I bought a heat lamp, hot stone heater, nail trainer hand, nail art stuff and Mac make-up brushes. The real deal, all wrapped, numbered etc so far so good x

Sent from my iPod touch using SalonGeek

Would never buy tips/product though... Just equipment/tools

Sent from my iPod touch using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back