Use and abuse of Ebay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you buy from Ebay

• Only Nail Art supplies

Votes: 133 38.4%
  • Enhancement stuff, I cannot buy anywhere else

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Both

Votes: 63 18.2%
  • Don't buy prof stuff from Ebay

Votes: 142 41.0%

• Total voters
Id never dream of buying prof producst from e-bay for the main reason that they are well too EXPENSIVE!!!! It works out much cheaper buying from suppiler and then you also get the perks buying from supplier. An seller on E-Bay isnt going to tell you when theyre doing special offers and whens the next training course!!!

I buy allsorts of things off ebay,however i once bought some 100/180 files and when they arrived they were sommother than a baby's bum,this put me off buying anything to do with my job ever !

naturalnails said:
I cannot believe I am posting another Chit Chat thread - but I could not really justify putting this in Main LOL.

As a professional nail technician I HATE EBAY WITH A PASSION - well not really Ebay as such but the people who use it and abuse it.

I understood the use of e-bay was to sell things that you no longer wanted but it seems to have become a monster, particularly in the professional product arena.

I understand that bargains are to be had on nail art stuff, rhinestones, flowers, etc. etc. and I don't have a problem with this - I know of no one who has had a bad reaction to having a rhinestone applied to their nails.

Why do some people have no scruples - I know I am naiive - I never knowingly will do anything to hurt anyone, personally or business wise and naiively I expect the same of others. We all complain about E-bay this and Ebay that but if we as professionals did not buy professional products from Ebay then there would be a much reduced market.

If you cannot buy your professional products by the legitimate route then please have the respect to not buy it at all, or go legit.

So do you buy from Ebay professionally?

you also been sent the wrong colour nail polish fiona??! :lol:

I absolutely agree with ZOE...for most pro products, gels, tips...they charge a lot more than I would pay at my supplier, plus you add shipping to that...not a real bargain anymore! I even came across OPI polishes that were selling for 12$ + s/h...CRAZY!:grr:
The only great thing about ebay, and I buy my nail art things on there, is that you can get things that are not available from your area or your supplier. For example, my supplier does not carry any type of nail charms...they only have those 3d stickers. Because I was able to find a bunch of great charms on ebay, and that I am the only one having them in my area, it attracts new clients, and makes existing clients feel up-to-date, or more trendy in a way!
As everyone has mentioned, for nail art supplies, Ebay is great, but for anything else, it makes our industry way to much available to everyone. And people inventing themselves to be nail techs could not only be bad for business, but could be very dangerous indeed.:irked:

I think that some of our Geeks have had some bad times with Ebay.

Lets not forget that the principle of Ebay is built on "reputation" and those sellers that provide good service, price, delivery etc etc, get a good reputation and that is recorded for others to see.

Ebay is a great place - my husband has an Ebay shop with over 250 different items for sale. As far as he is concerned, its all about "customer first" and giving people what they want at the price they want to pay. He sells nothing to do with nails and posts many articles worldwide daily. He lives for positive feedback, and has many regular and repeat customers.

All of his items are brand new and good quality, so the concept of "unwanted" and "second-hand" are clearly wrong.

As for me, I buy all my supplies professionally direct from Creative etc as the Greek Tax man wants it with official stamped receipts.

Come on Geeks - lets not be so anti-Ebay - its a great marketplace but has sharks just like the high street does!

Eva

I never buy any nail related products on ebay, because i prefer to support my suppliers, i think its unproffessional to buy products like powders & liquids from ebay, after all we are proffesionals arent we!!

Plus I work for myself and i need tax invoices people selling on ebay don't issue reciepts let alone have abn numbers!!

just bought groovy pedicure slippers, sometimes ebay is great for odds & sods, some suppliers are rip offs for simple things, so ebay can be a good solution. However, i like to see things before i buy, there would be nothing worse than buying supposed rhinestones, only to end up with crappy bits of shiney plastic, theres nuthin quite like swarovski......
Remember, sometimes buying cheap makes YOU look cheap.

Only ever bought nail art items, i wouldnt dare buy anything chemical wise it could have anything in it and cause me and my clients lots of problems:hug:

I would never buy professional products from ebay. I have bought nail art stuff, which to be honest was total cr@p.
I buy & sell occasionally clothes, ps2 games, cd's etc.

Not being funny or anything but im sure alot of you have brought chemical things off of ebay!

Ive seen the number of items that are being sold and brought?

your telling me that nobody on this site has purchased anything?

MMmmm or just to scared to admit it!

Obviously theres alot of cowboys out there then?

hehehe

lea

I too only buy rinestones and flowers ect from ebay.. i would never dream of powders, gels, or anything like that cos you dont know what you are getting..

Hi Everyone

I thought I would contribute to the great eBay scandal that has caused such outrage to everyone!

There is a company on eBay (won't tell you the name as I'll probably get into trouble) that were exhibiting at the last Excel show! I know they were there as I saw their name on the floor plan! Now considering this show was organised by a trade mag or something equally great, I thought they might have stepped in and stopped them as they are from the dreaded eBay, obviously not as I suppose one person's money is as good as the next when these things are being organised.

The same said company was even featured in one of the nail mags as website of the month, encouraging all of us to shop with them!

Now unless you are a seller or a regular shopper with eBay, you won't have realised they are an eBay company and a lot of you may well have bought items from them as they are quite cheap and have a lot of variety etc.

I don't know anything about this company but I was just wondering on a few things.

1. How do we know this person(s) is selling crap just because they sell on eBay?

Let me back up the arguement!

99.9% of sellers (I should imagine) are nail technicians, maybe not very good, maybe very good. What's to say they haven't worked for a nail company and just got addresses of manufacturers and bought products from them? In fairness it's happening a lot of where people want more than their lot, eg I'm mobile but I would give my left arm, (Not the right as I need it!) to have a salon. Whats to say this isn't the same said thing? Manufacturers are not fussy who they sell to as long as they have the money, they have targets to meet as well and probably don't care if the business is run from the bedroom.

2. They might be using eBay by way of making money until the business grows.

What's to say that when they have made enough money, they come up with a new brand that has absolutely no connection with eBay and we all go out and merrily buy it as it's the best thing since slice bread! We just don't know until somebody twigs on.

3. What lay person is really going to do a set of nails as good as us?

I'm a teacher and 50% of the people I teach have bought stuff from eBay or Argos and realise it's harder than it looks. When I demonstate to my students how to do a nail, I make it look dead easy and when you all do nails it looks easily. The controversal bit - sorry if I offend! Now are we really worried if they hurt themselves or whether they hurt us? I reckon it's a 50/50 mix. Another controversal bit - sorry! I don't care if they hurt themselves as they will come to me or you for us to sort it out, (a bit like a dodgy haircut at home) which equals more money in our pockets as they realise it's a skill and not something that can be learned in an evening while watching Ant & Dec! Surely if the silly blighters hurt themselves that just benefits us in a roundabout sort of way? I suspect a lot of people, myself included, are concerned that if they get too good and don't need us anymore, we'll have to find new careers! Just one more thing, should we stop selling scissors in case someone cuts their hair wrong!? This doesn't go on in the hairdressing business why should it be happening in ours?

4. Next time you're in Boots or Superdrug or wherever, take a little time to look at the labels and check the addresses of these companies who sell nail kits in there. You won't believe your eyes when you've done a bit of research!

5. Primark v Prada! Some people are happy shopping in Primark as it suits their budget and lifestyle and some people have a better lifestyle and budget and can afford to shop in Prada, a bit like nails. Loads of people go to these substandard salons and loads go to "proper" salons and some want to do it themselves. Fine if they like the idea of horse hoofs on the ends of their fingers! Just remember, when it all goes wrong, it's us they come crying to.

6. I once worked for a company where the owners knew next to nothing about nails but sold nail products on my say so! They are cracking business people but know now't about nails but yet they are a really successful company in this country and are very well respected.

Q.Would you all buy nail products from me as I've been in nails for 7 years, taught for 5 of them, I'm a NVQ assessor, I've taken exams in all aspects of nails to NVQ and ITEC standard, I've been soley responsible for a whole acrylic line being launched in this country including product testing and sourcing and I've worked for 4 international nail companies, 2 of which were for product development and 2 of them were in teaching positions.

A. Probably not as I my finances would only allow me to grow by starting off selling on eBay.

7. It's worth checking to see who owns the major nail companies, as most of them are business people and not nail technicians, the very few that are nail techncians are usually not very good in my opinion and are certainly not up to my standard. Personally speaking, I would rather buy from another techncian who has experience in using the products rather than a good sales/business person who knows how to design a nice label to stick on a tub of crap. And before you ask, a few of them do and we buy them as they look nice! Just like handbags!

8. So I'm clear in my head. What is a dodgy eBay seller so I know what to avoid! Is it someone who sells acrylic, gel etc or can it be someone who just sells nail files or nail art? I always shop on eBay for nail files, buffers etc as someone sells 50 banana files for £18.00 including delivery and no VAT. Sounds great to me as I'm not VAT registered and the files are brilliant. (Yet again won't say the name just in case!) I'm in a business to save money and make money. They sell me what I want and I mega pleased with what they sell and won't shop anywhere else. Now do I stop shopping with them if they bring out an acrylic, gel or fibreglass line considering how happy I've been with the nail files and buffers or what? Personally, I would probably carry on shopping with them as I've always been more than happy with what they've sold me and I would trust them to carry on selling decent stuff as I'm buying from another nail techncian who offers on line advice. I'm sure if I phoned the MD of most other nail companies and asked them techncial questions they probably wouldn't be able to help me, maybe we should all try it to see where we stand!

Last point to be made. If we're in any doubt why not ask for MSDS before we buy and not just from eBayers from everybody. Don't always think that just because you've spent £40.00 on a powder its any better than a powder that costs £10.00, believe me, I worked for a company who done this, yet again it's all down to labelling and packaging. Lets also encourage the lay people to do the same when they have their nails done so they know what is safe and what's not.

Sorry, one last one thing (honest!) These nail companies that we love and adore so much make a huge amount of profit from us every year, if you don't beleive me, you can check at companies house. Why can't they employ someone stop these repeated offenders selling on eBay, eBid, eAuction etc. The reason why is that the products have been sold and they too have made their money and you know what they say, "Even bad money is good!"

I hope none of this is sensored. I'm not having a dig at companies, individuals etc. These are just points that I have not seen made anywhere else. I welcome all comments and will gladly reply to any of them.

NVQ Trainer

I have to admit that I bought my UV light on E-Bay only because they sell them here for $200.00 for the cheesy-looking ones! :o I do agree that the people that buy the chemical-based products are going to get what they paid for....probably bottles that have been sitting in some warehouse for months and won't work at all.

Well looky here, I'm an Ebay addict!
I'm a bargain hunter from way back... I got my UV lamp, my desk ((fantastic shipping/price)) even my lamp from Ebay.. why? Because it was cheaper!
I would buy something i needed or wanted from Ebay if the price is right.. if it wasnt for the fact that i enjoy cruising the isles at Hair Care Australia i would probably sit on my patootie and do it all from the PC..
That said i get clothes, shoes, cd's, files, odds and ends from ebay.. Im not one to go into a Big W and buy off the rack clothes i like a bit of quirk in my wardrobe..

So yea.. I put my hand up.. I am guilty of buying some professional stuff that i could get cheaper on Ebay. :smack: slap me if you want.. but I dont think i am hurting anyone as i spent so much time and effort not to mention money on learning my trade that im not going to apologise for saving a bit where i can now!:biggrin:

eBay rocks It is one big recycling machine saves lots of things from being thrown out
beats going to car boots in the pouring rain ,
also there are some people who are disabled and love to have a root through eBay.
eBay has very strict policy's and rules , if goods were stolen all records are there for checks to be made.
Its just like a giant swop shop
I have bought lots of goody's from ebay and also all new and sealed nsi stuff all for my training .
and you know what, when I dont need Them anymore someone else may want it so I shall do my part and recycle again ,and create jobs for more posties and keep royal mail happy too.
Poorer people and kids have a chance of being dressed nicely and also have the chance to own the nice things they may not have been able to afford ,
in my eyes this may help to stop crime.
if it helps with the ones who don't have, to be able to have , why not?
it stops that snobby division.
now we can all share via eBay.
Good luck to all who buy and sell in the eBay auctions
Rock on eBay

eBay rocks It is one big recycling machine saves lots of things from being thrown out
beats going to car boots in the pouring rain ,
also there are some people who are disabled and love to have a root through eBay.
eBay has very strict policy's and rules , if good were stolen all records are there for checks to be made.
Its just like a giant swop shop

No argument with that - I love Ebay for all those reasons

I have bought lots of goody's from ebay and also all new and sealed nsi stuff all for my training .
and you know what, when I dont need Them anymore someone else may want it so I shall do my part and recycle again ,and create jobs for more posties and keep royal mail happy too.

Now, here's where I have a bit of a problem..... would the Royal Mail be happy if a parcel exploded because it contained flammable liquid that no-one knew was there? Do you think there are laws on how to ship products for fun?? It is illegal to send flammable goods through the post - that's the biggest issue for me - by incorrectly posting momoner etc you are putting lives at risk.

If you buy counterfeit or stolen goods that's your risk, and btw how do you know what you're getting when you buy? If it's a handbag, kids clothes, a lamp or some abrasives the risk is small and you're not hurting anyone other than your own pocket. If it's professional enhancement products that you're using on the paying public, then you owe them the professionalism of buying from a recognised distributor. If they come back with service breakdown how do you know it's not your Ebay product at fault?

Poorer people and kids have a chance of being dressed nicely and also have the chance to own the nice things they may not have been able to afford ,
in my eyes this may help to stop crime.
if it helps with the ones who don't have, to be able to have , why not?
it stops that snobby division.
now we can all share via eBay.
Good luck to all who buy and sell in the eBay auctions
Rock on eBay

Ebay is the biggest outlet for stolen goods so doesn't exactly reduce crime IMO! I use Ebay for all sorts of things but never for professional products. Use it for what is was intented, and leave the authorised distibutors of nail products to do just that.

Sorry this is long, but it's something I feel strongly about.

Poorer people and kids have a chance of being dressed nicely and also have the chance to own the nice things they may not have been able to afford

I find this quite interesting.

In the beginning, Ebay was just that, a place where you could sell unwanted items for a few pence / pounds and everyone was happy. Your junk was someone elses gold.

But now, Ebay has become this huge trading monster and is run as a business. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, it's just another way to sell goods, but what does get me is that a lot of items on Ebay are actually MORE EXPENSIVE than you would pay for them in the shop.

I'll give you an example. About 2 years ago my partner wanted a new mobile phone and had a look on Ebay to see if there might be any bargains to be found. I can't recall exactly what model mobile it was, but these mobiles were selling at £60 - £100 more than you would have paid for them in a legitimate High Street store with a guarantee etc.

Now, here is my thinking .... people still think that Ebay is cheap and you will get a bargain on there and perhaps they also get caught up in the bidding process. But my mind boggels that people will pay £60 more for a product from a complete stranger who may or may not be legit than you would if you got it from a High Street store.

What's even more bizarre, if you did a search on the web for the same product, you WOULD FIND IT CHEAPER from a legit place. You don't even have to leave your house.

Anyway, that's just my view on Ebay these days. Ebay is good for a few things that you can get cheaper etc. but as a whole, Ebay has gotten too expensive and it basically ripping people off and the people selling things are just there to make money now and not actually to get rid of their unwanted items.

Marlise

Now I have bought loads of stuff off ebay - my nail desk and chairs, storage cupboards etc. I have also bought nail polishes and I have always received genuine quality items. I have however asked lots of questions before buying.

I don't think I would ever buy liquid and powder or monomer but I would consider buying gels, depends on a) the price and b) what I wanted it for. I have bought gels from geekbay in order to practice my application techniques

What is the difference between buying from ebay and geekbay? As long as you know the products are genuine I personally don't see the problem but understand that everyone is different. I do see your point though Marlise a lot of stuff is way over priced and in fact I noticed a Calgel item yesterday with a bid of £9 with a buy it now of £10, when from Calgel it would only cost a couple of quid. I think in these cases it is someone who doesn't have a clue what they are buying and the seller being greedy and praying on the unknowledgeable.

I do see your point though Marlise a lot of stuff is way over priced and in fact I noticed a Calgel item yesterday with a bid of £9 with a buy it now of £10, when from Calgel it would only cost a couple of quid. I think in these cases it is someone who doesn't have a clue what they are buying and the seller being greedy and praying on the unknowledgeable.

Quite. Or people who aren't trained and can't buy the products direct from the supplier, so have to resort to Ebay to get their "Pro" products for a lot more dosh !

Quite. Or people who aren't trained and can't buy the products direct from the supplier, so have to resort to Ebay to get their "Pro" products for a lot more dosh !

EXACTLY! I am just very careful what I do buy though.

Latest posts

Back