Useless

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vixmg

Reaction score
I qualified in level 2 Beauty Therapy in June this year and have just started a 2 years level 3 course in massage.

I have a little room above a hairdressers that Ive had since July. I work in one job Mon to Thurs and Im in the room Fri and Sat. Its never busy, sometimes I can have 3 clients a day and others nothing. I know its the credit crunch but I read the blogs on here and everyone seems to be so knowledgeable. I feel thick and quite useless in what I do. The few clients I do have come back and are happy with the treatment but I always feel I could be doing better.

I love doing what I do but I just feel like I keep letting myself down. Ive never had any complaints.

Sorry to be going on, I just feel so very low.

Vicky

Now Vicky, stop that feeling sorry for yourself now because it will only drag you lower. Start believing in yourself darlin, because the clients you have are happy and are returning to you.

Remember you are only in your premises Friday's and Saturday's and this is just how I started. I remember feeling like you do right now and yes it does take time but don't get disheartened, it will happen. I still have my times when I am quiet and wonder what the hell has happened but it usually comes right in the end.

Look at it this way, you have a regular income and what you are doing for yourself is a bonus.

Get some marketing done (and don't be a lazy a**e like me and expect clients to come to you. They will eventually but it takes time.

If ever you want to talk hunni, pm me and I will let you have my number as it sometimes help to talk things through.

Keep your chin up and fight for what you want, and you are in a better position than most in that this is extra income for you.:hug:

we may appear knowledgeable, but that doesn't make us busy!!! I sometimes only have a few appointments in a day too.

marketing, marketing, marketing.
Join business networking groups such as Ladies who Latte, Athena Network, that kind of thing. Advertise in local parish magazines. These aren't really optional - you have to tell your potential clients that you're there and what you offer. If you're not comfortable in selling your business then you need to get comfortable - I think Business Link can help with this sort of thing.

I 2nd what Calla says about the marketing - you can never do too much.

When starting up in business you probably need to spend more time on your business than in it & once etablished still spend lots of time on your business.

Once you get in the swing of it you'll realise how much fun & rewarding (esp financially) it can be.

I go to a few networking groups already but plan on going to lots more from next month.

If networking doesn't quite appeal just yet, then utilise your existing client base to get them spending more or coming in more often.

Above all, gain some more confidence in your abilities. That will come across to your clients & you will find they will want to spend more time & money with you.

Hi First of all get rid of the negativity - it does you no service. I mean this in the nicest way as I am sure so many have felt the same. I have often read these type of threads - therapists qualify and start and there are no clients breaking down the door! This is where work of another kind starts - the promoting and building of your business. Knowledge takes time to accumulate and if you are really honest you know you have some!!!

I also feel down sometimes as I have moved several times since my son has been born and I would love a circle of friends but because I was at home with him I hardly met anyone and if I did they or I moved home!

I am now making a initiative to promote my business and make new friends as they will not come to me - you must do the same.:hug:

the advice you have had so far is fantastic , may i add one thing? Why not look at your quiet times in a new way? look at them as time to think about how you are going to promote your business. there are lots and lots of things you can do to get your name out there. why not have a notebook and pen kept for your ideas at your work and then at least you can feel a sense that your are doing something active.

Its very hard sometimes to keep positive but by being proactive you can!

tigi

As the others have said marketing is they key thing to do. What advertising have you done so far ?

It might be an idea to aim your advertising at those that work full/part time as I find my Fri & Sat clients are the ones that work. Most of my regulars that come for facials, manicures etc are retired or don't need to work and they NEVER come on a weekend always midweek, infact all I seem to do at wknds is waxing and its actually my quietest time of the week, whereas most salons are fully booked at weekends !

Good luck xx

Hi Ladies
Thank you so much for your replies. I just get very down with things and often question myself and my abilities. I qualified at level 2 and Im proud of that. Ive also started level 3 massage which I love.

Thanks for the ideas on advertising and promoting my business. When it is quiet I try and read through my books and go downstairs to the hairdressers and let the clients know Im there. In the hairdressers I have left leaflets but they seem to be moved out of the way evertime I go in on a Friday. I dont think they are really doing their bit in promoting my business but at the end of the day its up to me. I cant rely on others to promote it for me.

So thank you ladies, I need to get off my backside. Nobody is going to do this for me. Ive already designed some more leaflets, getting some ideas together for promoting my business during the summer and looking at extra training, spray tanning etc.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Vicky x:hug:

You could always offer free hand massage to the hair clients, which gives you a perfect opportunity to talk about what else you offer!

Do you know Calla, I once asked a lady who was having her hair done if she wanted a hand massage and she ripped my head off and barked NO I DO NOT! That kinda knocked my confidence a bit but I know I shouldnt let it bother me and get back on the horse so to speak.

Do you know Calla, I once asked a lady who was having her hair done if she wanted a hand massage and she ripped my head off and barked NO I DO NOT! That kinda knocked my confidence a bit but I know I shouldnt let it bother me and get back on the horse so to speak.

I had this happen to me before at my old salon and another client that I gave a free hand massage spent the whole time raving about the current beauty salon she went to and how she'd been a loyal client for years arrrrrrrrrrgggggggh !!

I would take advantage of the credit crunch by negotiating some advertising offers with your local paper, I am going to try and get a discount next week !

Hi there,

I only opened my salon in June of this year and went full time at it since Oct 1st. when i decided to go full time i felt that the business got alot busier as i felt more committed and determined as i now have no other income. as you are there only 2 days a week is there a no where you can be contacted the other days - is it possible that you can divert the salon no to your mobile ?? i find that when you are not there to talk to clients that just drop in or phone in they think that you are not there at all. it's just a taught.

the other thing is maybe you could offer some of the hairdressers down stairs really good discounts. If they are happy with your service they will be sure to mention to their client where they go especially if it is just upstairs.

another thing is to take mobile no's for all your clients or even people who just drop by looking for a brochure. ask them if they would mind if you sent them a text with your specials from time to time. I'm not sure how it works in the UK but i bought a mobile sim card for €10. i've never used it in a phone but i have stored all my contact nos on the internet where i also have 300 free texts from the internet per month. i come up with a special offer every month and send it off to my contacts as January's Special is ...... i have a few clients just waiting for my special to come through, infact i have a few that just avail of the specials - but thats ok even if they are only coming in for the special it means they are happy and hopefully telling there friends. Add a free file and polish to any of your hour long treatments and it becomes alot more appealing. I think people love to get things free.

I doubt myself all the time but when i see a regular coming back again and again i feel reassured

As i am only full time 2 months now i am only finding my feet and am dreading january but it's a learing curve ....hope this helps, would love to know how you get on:)

As you only qualified in june i wouldnt expect your confidence to be that good you should probably be working for someone and getting some training and experience in before you are ready to start your own business.When i had only been qualified a few months i felt pretty inadequate too, and definately nowhere ready to be on my own. Those forever cries on here of go for it and follow your dreams are wrong in my opinion and are why many end up going off doing something entirely different.Beauty therapy is not an easy way to make money so never make that mistake.
Think of beauty therapy as an apprenticeship and not an easy one at that, and one year and a few hours at college are not enough for you to be that good to be running your own business successfully.

Last edited:
Sorry

i think that you have misunderstood me. I opened a salon part time in june and opened it fully in October. I am qualified in acrylic nails 10 years, gel nails 5 years, beauty therapy for 3 years and holistic massage 2 years with various other treatments added along the way. i have worked both mobile and for a busy salon in Dublin city centre. When i said i douted myself i was referring to the busness end of things as i believed you were and was trying to give you advice from my short experience but experience non the less. was not trying to offend you at all only trying to give a few tips etc

sorry Gillian

taught you were anwering to my reply and not the author.

We all doubt ourselves all the time, that's normal, it should be what makes you need to be better.
Hair customers might not want a free hand massage but how about the hair dressers, I bet they'd love a free shoulder or hand massage between clients. And thats a great way to get the hair clients to see what you do and gets the hairdressers talking about you:lol:
My hairdresser gives a great scalp massage and has said more then once that she wishes she had someone to return the favor.
Your existing clients are happy with you and keep coming back, so give them an incentive to bring a friend rather then you being their best secret.
See if you can advertise at the play groups in your area. Perhaps offer something at an intro price for the organizers so that they can see for themselves how good you are, mums love to be able to do something special while their kids are occupied and a good cup of coffee with a cream cake gets boring after a few weeks so a pamper mum time should be very appealing. I like the idea of texting clients when you have a special or something new and I think that spray tanning would be a good add on service, especially if you are willing to do the party route.
Thats where the net working can really help, if you know someone who does Virgin Party or something simular, you could team up, for an evening.
As well as pointing suitable clients to each other.
Have faith hun. No complaints and a regular income are two plus points to be starting the year with:hug:

If we're quiet in salon we put an A board outside saying appointments not always required, it's amazing how many people will just pop in on the off chance. They're usually small treatments like eye brow shapes etc. but the pennies add up!

Latest posts

Back