Using talc on waxing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was trained to use White Clay instead of talc, basically works the same. :)

I think its a shame that alot of the training companies are not up to date and are still training people to use talc and not oil..

:confused:??????? i been waxing for years and was never taught to use oil or talc! only when sugaring!
will look into oil if it makes it better for my clients

i have just finished at college and i have never herd of this before we were taught to use it although i use the oil at home as i do think it is better it just confuses me that they would teach us to use it ?

I've never used talc just pre wax gel and i've never had a problem:)Only used talc for sugaring as this is what I was taught in collage many years ago. Not heard bout the oil though so will have to look into that.

I dont know if its the ihaling of the talc which was the concern, how can the skin absorb the powder anyway. so little is used. In the college where I trained the therapists we used cornflour instead of talc which worked the same . we had little shakers for it . I think you need it to absorb any excess perspiration especially brazillians , hollywoods ect and when doing the back bum!!!! essential !!!!!:lol:

I dont know if its the ihaling of the talc which was the concern, how can the skin absorb the powder anyway. so little is used. In the college where I trained the therapists we used cornflour instead of talc which worked the same . we had little shakers for it . I think you need it to absorb any excess perspiration especially brazillians , hollywoods ect and when doing the back bum!!!! essential !!!!!:lol:

Im not sure about the inhalation but there was some concern about ovarian cancer and Talc have a google theres lots on it.
I use femfresh intimate powder(as well as oil) i think its cornflower but its talc free.Not that i believe im going to give anyone ovarian cancer but if there is something that you can use that there is no concerns about real or not then i always think its best to use it.Cancer alert over talc: Women using powder every day 'are at risk' | Mail Online

Last edited:
Hi
I did my training yesterday and I was told to use talc; mainly to help dry the clients skin out if the sweat (under arm and bikini line) but to also use it on their legs as well.

This is a very old thread but still :)

I guess you could use talc if you wanted... but it's purpose is to create a barrier between the skin and wax to help the wax only adhere to the hairs and not the skin. Oil in my view works far far better at this and is recommended by many of the wax manufacturers now.

Personally I think it hurts far more with talc than it does with oil so that is why I use it - I try to make it as painless as possible :)

As for keeping the under arms dry... wipe them! Then put a tiny bit of oil on before applying the wax. If you use hot wax on the underarms it works by shrinkwrapping the hairs and if they are sweating it really doesn't make a huge difference :) Maybe you would be better off doing a discovery day with Perron Rigot or with Zozo at Berins (I don't know anyone from Lycon but I understand their waxes are good too)

This is a very old thread but still :)

I guess you could use talc if you wanted... but it's purpose is to create a barrier between the skin and wax to help the wax only adhere to the hairs and not the skin. Oil in my view works far far better at this and is recommended by many of the wax manufacturers now.

Personally I think it hurts far more with talc than it does with oil so that is why I use it - I try to make it as painless as possible :)

As for keeping the under arms dry... wipe them! Then put a tiny bit of oil on before applying the wax. If you use hot wax on the underarms it works by shrinkwrapping the hairs and if they are sweating it really doesn't make a huge difference :) Maybe you would be better off doing a discovery day with Perron Rigot or with Zozo at Berins (I don't know anyone from Lycon but I understand their waxes are good too)

Could you tell me what oil you use instead of talc?

Thanks

Perron Rigot and Berins do a jasmin oil that is recommended.

I don't know about the Berins wax but the Perron wax is a mineral oil that uses an artificial fragrance. The molecular size of the oil means it isn't absorbed into the skin ... If the oil is absorbed then it isn't proving a barrier.

Mat

I have always used powdered silk if i need a moisture removing powder as in the "Hollywood' type of waxing. Oil seems to make a mess of the eyebrow makeup so i use the silk there as well, only very lightly on the hood of the eye. Oil seems works best for more if I'm doing a back, intimate areas, under arms, or legs. Nothing used on the knuckles, or toes.

I have always used powdered silk if i need a moisture removing powder as in the "Hollywood' type of waxing. Oil seems to make a mess of the eyebrow makeup so i use the silk there as well, only very lightly on the hood of the eye. Oil seems works best for more if I'm doing a back, intimate areas, under arms, or legs. Nothing used on the knuckles, or toes.

Hey besthands, I have just done a search on powdered silk and it seems like a rather amazing product!

I have never heard of this product and my knowledge consists of what I learned three minutes ago in my quick Google search.

Do you use powdered silk contained within a product?

Or is powdered silk available as just that - powdered silk?

I will do a more detailed search later when I have the time but as you are a user I would like your input if you are happy to share it?

Thank you xx

I've always used oil under wax with very good results. I've recently been trialling a new wax which really, really doesn't work as well with oil. I had a chap in for a Brazilian and he was a bit sweaty so I dug out the talc and it worked much better.
I'm going to google the powdered silk jobbie too. I never thought for a pico second I would have to consider using talc again after 5 years of Perron rigot!

I thought most talcs had cornflour in now, talcum powder is carcinogenic, it's been known for years!! My Grandfather who was a Pathologist told me when I was a teenager not to use the stuff, he said it was found in most organs when doing post-mortems, so I would never ever go near the stuff!!

I don't get on very well with oil either, I have the Jasmine oil but I think I may be put too much on.

It is really Importent to understand the facts about these things. Talc *used* to contain Asbestos which does cause cancer, it doesn't now.

Research has been inconclusive on this matter for new asbestos free talc. If you combine the data from 16 studies it may show a slight increase in risk for ovarian cancer. This increase moves the probability of cancer from 1.4% to 1.8%.

The fact that there is so little agreed research shows the risk, if any, is minimal. And the risk comes from heavy continued exposure ... Not one Brazilian a month.

I have never used talc for any appt. even on sweaty clients I never use it.I dont even have a bottle in my treatment room.

[
Our teenagers are overweight because they eat too much junk food yet my parents and grandparents ate dripping sandwiches and starchy food and guess what-they weren't overweight!

This is a lot to do with the fact kids aren't allowed to take off on their bikes with their mates after breakfast, not to return till the street lights come on. Kids were outside all day, exercising, riding their bikes, running around, etc. Kids don't/Can't/Aren't allowed to do that and that's why we have an obesity problem. Balance the food with exercise, we wouldn't have a problem. x

[
Our teenagers are overweight because they eat too much junk food yet my parents and grandparents ate dripping sandwiches and starchy food and guess what-they weren't overweight!

This is a lot to do with the fact kids aren't allowed to take off on their bikes with their mates after breakfast, not to return till the street lights come on. Kids were outside all day, exercising, riding their bikes, running around, etc. Kids don't/Can't/Aren't allowed to do that and that's why we have an obesity problem. Balance the food with exercise, we wouldn't have a problem. x

Ermm wrong thread?

Latest posts

Back