UV3 Technology? What does it mean?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wg19

Reaction score
The title says it all, wondering what this is in refrence to shellac?

UV3 is the "geek" part of the explination that Shellac is a hybrid, the "3" being monomer, polymer, and solvents. CND combined those three into a hybrid that is UV cured - Shellac. HTH :)

UV3 is the "geek" part of the explination that Shellac is a hybrid, the "3" being monomer, polymer, and solvents. CND combined those three into a hybrid that is UV cured - Shellac. HTH :)

Ok so just to make sure I am getting the right end of the stick here, Shellac is made up of 3 main components - monomer, polymer & solvents & the UV bit relates to the product curing under a UV light?

I was told this by the R&D people at CND when I asked:
Shellac does not include Formaldehyde, Toluene or DBP (Dibutyl Phthalate) and it cures with uv technology.

Right, UV3 is the explination of the hybrid and C-C has given the explination of the 3 Free :D

I was told this by the R&D people at CND when I asked:
Shellac does not include Formaldehyde, Toluene or DBP (Dibutyl Phthalate) and it cures with uv technology.
That is the 3 Free formula of Colour & Effects

Now I confused, why would they tell me that when I asked about the Shellac UV3?

Well, Shellac (like Colour And Effects) is 3 free (Toluene, Formaldehyde and DBP free). Maybe that is causing some of the confusion?

Well, IDK. How would you answer this question--"can you explain the term 'UV3' involving Shellac to me in the simplist terms?"
That is the exact question from the email and the answer I recieved is the one from above that I just copied and pasted from their reply.

its EU regulations that all polishes should be 3 free and a ban has been passed on 2 of these now

its EU regulations that all polishes should be 3 free and a ban has been passed on 2 of these now

A ban has been passed on two of what? :eek:

I also do not believe there is any EU regulation or it wouldn't be SHOULD be 3 free it would be MUST be 3 free. There are hundreds of lines of polish in the EU that are not 3 free .. probably hundreds and hundreds.

DBP Information Centre - An information resource on the plasticiser DBP

In February 2003, European Union Directive 2003/15/EC (amending Cosmetics Directive 76/768/EEC) banned the sale in Europe of cosmetics or personal care products classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic for reproduction. Two of the phthalates – DEHP and DBP – are classified as class 2 compounds, toxic to reproduction. With current legislation, manufacturers do not have to state whether phthalates are present in their fragrances or not.

i had read there was a ban on 2 substances found in polishes but really i can only find the one being DBP

DBP Information Centre - An information resource on the plasticiser DBP

In February 2003, European Union Directive 2003/15/EC (amending Cosmetics Directive 76/768/EEC) banned the sale in Europe of cosmetics or personal care products classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic for reproduction. Two of the phthalates – DEHP and DBP – are classified as class 2 compounds, toxic to reproduction. With current legislation, manufacturers do not have to state whether phthalates are present in their fragrances or not.

i had read there was a ban on 2 substances found in polishes but really i can only find the one being DBP

this does not apply to NAIL POLISH

Polish is not classed as a cosmetic for use on skin ... it is applied to dead tissue, it is not applied to the skin.

Benzoyle peroxide is banned in cosmetics but is in all acrylic powders ... it is not banned in nail products neither is MEHQ as nail enhancement products are not classed as cosmetics.

Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing ... when you know the whole story it is different.

We have now hijacked this thread and gone off topic so I suggest we get back on it if there is any more to say which I don't think there really is.

Last edited:
Not quite sure, but I believe that it is only banned in cosmetics to use on the skin (or likewise), such as cream, soap toothpaste or likewise. I'm not entirely sure about this and cannot remember where I read it (was reading about parabens when I came across it) so please correct me if I'm wrong.

All nail products are classed as cosmetics. She is correct regarding DBP however its sort of sad because all studies by the CIR and EU bodies declared it as safe. Here is an excerpt from the NMC on the issue:

The EU used to base those restrictions on risk
assessments, as the US does. But recently a new law came into effect in the
EU--the “Seventh Amendment to the Cosmetics Directive.” This new law allows
ingredients to be banned from cosmetics based on fears that they might be
hazardous, without any consideration of their actual risks as used. The new law
automatically banned many common ingredients, including DBP, from cosmetics
even though risk assessments (before and after adoption of the Seventh
Amendment) by official EU governmental scientific bodies concluded DBP as used
in nail polish is safe. By the way, the FDA and CIR reached the same conclusion.

You can get more from here: http://www.schoonscientific.com/dow...-Polish/Facts-About-Salon-Nail-Polish_ENG.pdf

HTHs!

BTW if anyone wants my opinion: nail polish is safe in all its guises!

Since the first polishes by Revlon in the '30's there has been no evidence of any real danger other than some allergic reactions (someone is allergic to anything, even water).

The whole '3 free' has come about by 'what might happen' but, basically, never really has! The result has been polishes that do not perform as well as they used to although many brands have managed to replace those chemicals with as good an alternative as possible.

Whose to say that the alternatives are any 'safer' (please note the inverted commas).

I'm not going to put 'words into Doug Schoon's mouth' but those who have read his book and his information website will know his opinions on this topic and I'm firmly with him on this!

The marketing of some brands that '3 free' is the 'healthy' or 'safer' alternative is misleading. Those advertising that they are '3 free' are just saying that they are following a public opinion that will never be convinced otherwise.

And that's fine

I called CND a few weeks ago to get clarification on the "uv3" thing as well.... another salon in my area was sending out shellac postcards and some of my clients brought them in and wanted to know what it meant. The first girl i spoke with said "hmm, good question" and she put me on hold while she went to find the answer. After a few minutes she came back and said they weren't 100% positive but they all assume it stands for uv gel + soak off + traditional nail polish. So basically its just their catchy marketing term for "this is a new product" and i doubt the term "uv3" has any real scientific meaning. I was very unimpressed that they didn't have an answer and left us with their "best guess"

Latest posts

Back