Vertical splits, caused by Lansoprazole? Advice needed for gel polish client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline2013

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

One of my clients has vertical splits in the free edge of the nail down to the hyponychium, 2 or 3 teeny ones per nail on the bad ones, some worse than others so the free edge is obviously void of any strength at all

Some background info...

The client has previously had Calgel nails at a local salon and is on Lansoprazole medication for a stomach disorder

The client states that she stopped going to the salon due to her baby (who she used to take to appointments) getting older and she thought they were rushing her service for her benefit and cutting corners so her nails weren't lasting (i am mobile)

Ok so back to my queerie...

In my naivity i did a Gelish manicure as i normally would do, now thinking i should have done it differently like take them really short with the clients permission? the client phoned me 2 days later to say she had trapped 2 of her nails in the clasp of her babys car seat and they were a mess, one had bled as it had ripped down one of the before mentioned tears, i arranged to go the following evening to repair the damaged nails (at a charge)

When i got there the bad one that had bled wasn't bleeding anymore at the hyponychium but was so bad i had to take it right down and apply a tip to it then Gelish structure gel, i also applied structure gel to the other damaged nail and a third nail which had just flaked off at one of the tears

The lady has since emailed me to thank me for doing her nails and trying Gelish but the nails chipped again quite bad 2 days later :( she said its a shame as she really liked me and wanted me to be her nail lady, she was a fab client

I've only been doing nails since March and I have a lot to learn when things arent so straightforward, can anyone recommend what i should have done / could do in this situation?

Im now thinking after researching tears like this should I have tried to persuade her to have them really short and structure on all of them and try to get them tear free, its playing on my mind now so i would really appreciate your feedback Geeks :)

Caroline x

Hi Geeks

One of my clients has vertical splits in the free edge of the nail down to the hyponychium, 2 or 3 teeny ones per nail on the bad ones, some worse than others so the free edge is obviously void of any strength at all

Some background info...

The client has previously had Calgel nails at a local salon and is on Lansoprazole medication for a stomach disorder

The client states that she stopped going to the salon due to her baby (who she used to take to appointments) getting older and she thought they were rushing her service for her benefit and cutting corners so her nails weren't lasting (i am mobile)

Ok so back to my queerie...

In my naivity i did a Gelish manicure as i normally would do, now thinking i should have done it differently like take them really short with the clients permission? the client phoned me 2 days later to say she had trapped 2 of her nails in the clasp of her babys car seat and they were a mess, one had bled as it had ripped down one of the before mentioned tears, i arranged to go the following evening to repair the damaged nails (at a charge)

When i got there the bad one that had bled wasn't bleeding anymore at the hyponychium but was so bad i had to take it right down and apply a tip to it then Gelish structure gel, i also applied structure gel to the other damaged nail and a third nail which had just flaked off at one of the tears

The lady has since emailed me to thank me for doing her nails and trying Gelish but the nails chipped again quite bad 2 days later :( she said its a shame as she really liked me and wanted me to be her nail lady, she was a fab client

I've only been doing nails since March and I have a lot to learn when things arent so straightforward, can anyone recommend what i should have done / could do in this situation?

Im now thinking after researching tears like this should I have tried to persuade her to have them really short and structure on all of them and try to get them tear free, its playing on my mind now so i would really appreciate your feedback Geeks :)

Caroline x
She sounds like a great 'difficult' case to cut your skills on. If she is thinking of going elsewhere I would take her on as a 'model' at cost for products. Before and after pics of her nails would be great for website etc.

I'd have used Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel to give the nails some strength, and I agree with Umvemve (is that like Uvavu?!) on the model front!

Lanzoprazole will not be the cause of vertical splits down the nail. I have been on a lot of different 'Prazole tablets for a hiatus hernia for over 20 years now and not once have I ever experience vertical splits.
You should definitely investing Brisa lite system both smoothing gel and the sculpting.
The sculpting will allow you to create the structure her nails need without damaging them further. Smoothing gel used on its own will refine and smooth the surface of her ridges once the damage is under control.
Jen xx

Indeed!
I took Omeprazole for ages; no splittage anywhere!

I can second, or third that! My mum takes those tablets and has done for quite a few years, her nails do not have any vertical splits. I do her Gelish polish and she doesn't has any problems with it.

Hope you get another chance with her :)

Jayne.x

I'd have used Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel to give the nails some strength, and I agree with Umvemve (is that like Uvavu?!) on the model front!
lol Umvemve = the movement of a hummingbird wing/wagtail in zulu

Lanzoprazole will not be the cause of vertical splits down the nail. I have been on a lot of different 'Prazole tablets for a hiatus hernia for over 20 years now and not once have I ever experience vertical splits.
You should definitely investing Brisa lite system both smoothing gel and the sculpting.
The sculpting will allow you to create the structure her nails need without damaging them further. Smoothing gel used on its own will refine and smooth the surface of her ridges once the damage is under control.
Jen xx

thank you for everybody's replies,

I only currently have basic mani and gelish training not extension / sculpting acrylic or gel etc, that's the next step!

do you think that without the ability to extend I would be able to help her?
x

Latest posts

Back