Virus Warning - Please Read

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or
> launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in
> any way, regardless of who sent it. PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR
> FRIENDS AND FAMILY. FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE
> WORLD TRADE CENTER. REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT
> RIGHT AWAY, THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11! BIGGGG
> TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase
> your whole "C" drive.. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail
> from a familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it to me, but called
> and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he
> can't even start his computer! Forward this to everyone in your
> address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all.
> So, if you receive an email called "WTC Survivor", do not open it.
> Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries
> (.dll files) from your computer.
>

i have received this email from a friend, so PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL

Thanks for the warning PP. I will look carefully at my post (will be bloody parnoid now Lol)

Thnx for the warning i never open any e-mails if we dnt recognise who its from

I have a fire wall installed as well as Mc Affee virus scanner so normally okay. I have to say we have had to update this nearly on a regular basis as new viruses are coming out all the time.

Definately worth getting vrus scanners and fire walls installed these days for this reason,thanks for letting us know Peter Pan.:)

Just emailed the world and his wife to let them know :lol: - ta very much. G. xx

Hi Thanxs For That The Whole Of My Family And M8s Know Now Xx

thanks for letting us know weve lost all our work before on the computer due to these viruses.

Jen

taintz said:
This is a hoax - See link

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/wtc.survivor.hoax.html

They can't spread the virus - so they spread the hoax...

Send this back to the person who sent it to you.. And to those you passed it along to.

Jadey :)

Yes it's a hoax - you should always check with Symantec if the virus warning is a hoax or not - luckily this one isn't advising you to delete something off your computer. A lot of them do, they tell you how to search for a specific file (or something) and then when you find it you think you have a virus so you delete it thinking you are deleting the virus - only to find you have actually deleted something you need to run your pc - ALWAYS CHECK FIRST!

I always recommend www.Mailwasher.com it's brilliant, I use it. You can actually preview your mail before d/l it to your pc and it will list an email as a virus if it recognises it. I think you may have to pay for Mailwasher now - but it's certainly worth it.

Thanks for warning from me & my hubby ( he's the one who spends all time on computer and has hell of a lot of important information on 'C' drive) !!!!!!!

Hi Glynis,

The easiest way is to just type into google the name of the 'so-called' virus with 'hoax' at the end of it........ if it is a hoax, you will normally get a link to the Symantec website telling you all about it.

Or go straight to:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

Where it lists all the known hoaxes. Of course it always pays to be careful, and most of the time these hoaxes are just a bit of 'scare-mongering' - however, as I mentioned earlier, the more 'dangerous' hoaxes are the ones that advise you to delete a file or programme from your pc - these are the ones you ALWAYS need to check out carefully as most of the time, if not all, they are advising you to remove a file/programme that you actually need.

On the other hand, there is a nasty little virus doing the rounds at the moment called: W32.Beagle.AG@mm or W32.Beagle.AB@mm

I've been inundated over the last few days with emails which had contained this virus (but luckily my webhost thingy - technical term that, had deleted them before they got to me).
It's always from the same email address ([email protected]) with different titles, and I'm getting on average about 10 a day from the same place - I just 'blacklisted' it in 'Mailwasher' and no future problems! :)

JackieMc said:
Hi Glynis,

The easiest way is to just type into google the name of the 'so-called' virus with 'hoax' at the end of it........ if it is a hoax, you will normally get a link to the Symantec website telling you all about it.

Or go straight to:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

Where it lists all the known hoaxes. Of course it always pays to be careful, and most of the time these hoaxes are just a bit of 'scare-mongering' - however, as I mentioned earlier, the more 'dangerous' hoaxes are the ones that advise you to delete a file or programme from your pc - these are the ones you ALWAYS need to check out carefully as most of the time, if not all, they are advising you to remove a file/programme that you actually need.

On the other hand, there is a nasty little virus doing the rounds at the moment called: W32.Beagle.AG@mm or W32.Beagle.AB@mm

I've been inundated over the last few days with emails which had contained this virus (but luckily my webhost thingy - technical term that, had deleted them before they got to me).
It's always from the same email address ([email protected]) with different titles, and I'm getting on average about 10 a day from the same place - I just 'blacklisted' it in 'Mailwasher' and no future problems! :)
Thanks Jackie
and all this time ive had norton anti-virus and i never knew how to check these things - you learn summit new every day.

thanks again

Latest posts

Back