Vitagel by Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sound silly but was just wondering if you all use PH bond before applying vitagel. I did my own nails 4 days ago not using PH bond and they are all still on. I have done the gelish training and know you are meant to use PH bond before application, but when reading on the bottle there was no mention of doing this step. Was wondering if anyone else had done the same with no problems as I have seen people are getting lifting

I took mine off last night, I had strength with black shadow & art on for 2 weeks with no problems & I had used PH bond. I did my sister's - one hand with ph, the other without & didn't have any lifting issues.I said I would update how I'd got on using one coat of strength with colour & the removal. Like I say they lasted 2 wks, I only took them off as wanted to change colour & excited to see if they removed nice & easy! I wasn't disappointed, they came off pretty quick, I was eager to see so maybe unwrapped a little early but all off in 15 mins :))
Yay for vitagel!! Although did see Harmony have said strength isn't designed as a substitute/long term replacement for normal foundation.
Sharn Dymond, I like the idea of using an old foundation brush, what did you clean it with before swapping it to the vitagel bottle if u don't mind me asking! :)

This sound silly but was just wondering if you all use PH bond before applying vitagel. I did my own nails 4 days ago not using PH bond and they are all still on. I have done the gelish training and know you are meant to use PH bond before application, but when reading on the bottle there was no mention of doing this step. Was wondering if anyone else had done the same with no problems as I have seen people are getting lifting

If I am removing and reapplying a set of Gelish, I never use PH Bond. PH Bond is just a dehydrator and, it seems to me, nails are pretty dehydrated after the removal process if you know what I mean.

I fully remove, prepare and start painting one hand and start removal on the other hand while the first is in the lamp. I keep switching hands. If the client touches anything with the second hand (after I have removed any wraps and whilst I am painting the first hand), I will use PH Bond just in case.

I took mine off last night, I had strength with black shadow & art on for 2 weeks with no problems & I had used PH bond. I did my sister's - one hand with ph, the other without & didn't have any lifting issues.I said I would update how I'd got on using one coat of strength with colour & the removal. Like I say they lasted 2 wks, I only took them off as wanted to change colour & excited to see if they removed nice & easy! I wasn't disappointed, they came off pretty quick, I was eager to see so maybe unwrapped a little early but all off in 15 mins :))
Yay for vitagel!! Although did see Harmony have said strength isn't designed as a substitute/long term replacement for normal foundation.
Sharn Dymond, I like the idea of using an old foundation brush, what did you clean it with before swapping it to the vitagel bottle if u don't mind me asking! :)

I removed mine tonight after having two weeks with one coat of Vitagel and Is It Just An Illusion.

No problems, no chipping etc. It did come off slightly easier, but I'm not sure I want to waste it on clients (or myself) where its not really needed. I just love this stuff though, its made such a great difference to my problem clients.

I applied mine on Friday, I did two coats of Vitagel Strength, the first layer as a scrub layer, then dry brushed and went on to do colour and some crystals.

I only did two layers, although the instruction leaflet I got from Georgie Smedley at Harmony, said you could apply a third coat, but this is optional.

I did one coat of strength on a client, then went on to do colour and I did another set with just the Vitagel Strengh, two coats.

So far so good! I will report back if I get any problems and how removal goes. :biggrin: x

Seems to me mixed opinions on whether to do 1 or 2 coats of vitagel. I applied one thin coat and another slightly thicker coat, followed by normal gelish colour. After about 4-5 days my thumb nail has peeled. Another nails looks like it may peel too. I used "strength".

I think I will swap the brush for an old foundation brush and apply to "very thin coats" and see how this goes. My nails do seem strong and maybe there will be no more peeling but i want to get this right before trying it on a client.

Great thread ;)

Seems to me mixed opinions on whether to do 1 or 2 coats of vitagel. ;)

Harmony recommend two coats (some of us were just trying one coat on normally strong nails because it removes so much easier than Foundation). I've never tried two coats on mine (or anyone elses) normally strong nails.

As you say, one thin scrubbed in coat and one normal coat, dry wipe and then colour and TIO should work. I've had fab result with it on problem nails.

Harmony recommend two coats (some of us were just trying one coat on normally strong nails because it removes so much easier than Foundation). I've never tried two coats on mine (or anyone elses) normally strong nails.

As you say, one thin scrubbed in coat and one normal coat, dry wipe and then colour and TIO should work. I've had fab result with it on problem nails.

Oh I see i understand now. Have just used it on a client with poor nails. One thin coat and another fairly thin coat, followed by normal gelish. She is a regular so will see how she gets on in 2 weeks time. I did use a brush from an old foundation bottle too.

I have just ordered in some of the vitagel strength. To use on its own do u have to TIO?

You don't have to use TIO if your not applying colour x

Thanks! Is it just cleanse then to remove inhibition layer?

I spoke to my tutor Lou too and she told me to do a base coat then one coat vita gel all gas been good for me I love it x

I spoke to my tutor Lou too and she told me to do a base coat then one coat vita gel all gas been good for me I love it x

A basecoat, as in Foundation??? If so, that's odd advice as Vitagel is supposed to be put directly on to the natural nail, that's the point of the "vitamin infusion". You apply the Vitagel first coat as you would a basecoat i.e. scrubbing it in.

When i tried vitagel, put 2 thin layers on,no base coat, or tio as stated,mine just kept peeling off, any ideas why?
i cleansed, cuticle work,ph bond,then applied vitagel,cured for 2 mins then repeated, cleansed off sticky layer.:eek:

When i tried vitagel, put 2 thin layers on,no base coat, or tio as stated,mine just kept peeling off, any ideas why?
i cleansed, cuticle work,ph bond,then applied vitagel,cured for 2 mins then repeated, cleansed off sticky layer.:eek:

No, I don't know, I have absolutely no problems with it. I do wonder if my habit of turning the bottles upside down and rolling between my hands for a few seconds a few minutes before application helps to mix this product (and the thicker colours) up a bit and that is why I don't have problems. It seems to be the only thing I do differently to everyone else.

Well to give an update, the one client who had it on on it's own, didn't really have any problems, it chipped on a couple of nails but then hers always does, the other client who had it with colour, had no real issues either.

It peeled at the edges of two of mine within a week, so I redid it and it was ok.

Removal was a nightmare on the two clients though, it just didn't want to come off! although, their nails definitely seemed better, so i've applied it to them again.

Mine came off ok but as i don't really need it I won't be using it on my own nails again as i don't have problems when using foundation.

I wonder why It was so hard to remove on the clients though? it just seemed to be glued to their tips! :eek:

That's strange Sharn, I've found it much easier to remove on clients than normal Foundation. It just lifts up underneath the wrap in virtually a whole nail. Are you using LED or UV?

One thing I've noticed is that a third application on any client seems to be too much - not sure if its due to the conditioning treatment. But every time the third application has chipped.

After removal of Vitalgel the nails look really good, but I have now started doing only two applications on problem clients, then switching back to two double topcoat applications (IYKWIM) and then probably back to Vitagel.

Oh I see i understand now. Have just used it on a client with poor nails. One thin coat and another fairly thin coat, followed by normal gelish. She is a regular so will see how she gets on in 2 weeks time. I did use a brush from an old foundation bottle too.

Well just to update. My regular came back and although she had removed the gelish herself. she always does to save time, she said she feels they lasted really well. She said they had not chipped at all apart from her pinkie nail which peeled off on day 14. I did notice an improvement on the condition of her nails too. I have reapplied it for her, 2 thin coats, and we will see how she gets on.

I have had better success on my own nails this time around, I am applying 2 very thin coats. It has only been a week though and they are not perfect but my nails do take a hammering!

I will continue with this as I really want to master the correct application.

I know it's really weird :confused: I use the 18g LED, it removed off my nails ok though, maybe it's because these particular clients have really dry flaky nails! it definitely made them look a lot better though but I think your right, only use it very temporarily x

Howych extra are you all charging for an application of recovery with a Gelish manicure??

After a few trial runs (on myself) i've found def dry brushing the vitagel then a thin layer of colour followed by a 2nd then tio works best.

Before i wasn't dry brushing and it just kept lifting & peeling with colour over it but is fine when worn alone

Latest posts

Back