Vote for old Salon Geek with a heart

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You saying us hair peeps are rowdy?:(

The boards are really tedious at the mo. it really is all amateurs trying to scrounge a few quid to supplement office jobs. They are so ill informed it's almost funny.
Allowing someone with one day of training to mark themselves a "hair pro" made such a mockery that I removed my "hair pro" status.
I actually think there is no point bothering.
Someone who has trained a day is not in the same league as Geeg, Classix etc.

No I think it may have been before you joined and there were maybe a handful of hair pro's. I wasn't suggesting that it was the hair pros that were rowdy, quite the opposite !

There was a new member that was a hair professional that was made a moderator to take care of the hair forum and I think she left because she wasn't made to feel very welcome. It wasn't very pleasant at all if I remember correctly !

I do agree with you, I have noticed a lot of threads about babies, boyfriends, food etc and yes some of them (most) are boring but it is chit chat and if it went back to the days of closing and directing the poster to the blogs then there wouldn't really be any chit chat.

Obviously the site has grown and there are less full time professionals than there used to be (imo). There seems to be more and more people doing a couple of nail/beauty/hair ext courses to earn a bit of cash on the side and I guess maybe they don't take the site as seriously as it used to be. In my eyes salon geek has always been a professional site with a bit of chit chat to get to know people, now it seems that some people join to ask a few questions then go on to use the site mainly for chit chat.

I do think change has to be accepted though. Remember when this site used to be just nail geek ? A few people got upset when it changed to salon geek and then when hair was introduced anyone would think another world war was on the cards !

Maybe SG need to create a "part time" site :)

Although alot of repetitiveness on the forums (only my opinion)...I genuinely find SG invaluable. I have had a few "light bulb" moments (one thread comes to mind!!) :) You just need to look in the right threads.

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I am relatively new to the site and the industry, and I have to say the amazing advice that i have recieved on here has been invaluable to me, so many members on here are so generous with the time and care that they take to give honest knowledable replies, especially to a newbie like myself, as for the my cats died/I had cheese on toast for tea/ohh what colour socks shall I wear to day threads, I think that they are mainly down to the type of people that are drawn to our industry...lets face it unless you are super sociable, understanding, able to talk to people even when you are feeling down, and caring you probably arnt going to last that long, and there in lies the problem, I expect if it was a site for accountants, or lawyers, then the posts would be a lot more dull, the nature of our jobs in turn affects how the site is, and we can choose which posts to read or to ignore......any way I had a lovely roast dinner today, sadly no cauliflower cheese ;)

I realise that I may be shot down in flames for this. However...

In my opinion there aren't enough true professionals left here; those whose sole career, whose raison d'etre, is the beauty/hair industry. I've read so many posts saying I spent £500 so I'm a professional, even though I'm only doing 'x' as a little side-line to earn some extra money. Or posts asking for help and then disregarding the help given by true professionals who have given freely of their time in order to help. That really drives me crazy and is what, IMO, drags the industry as a whole - not just this site - down. It means that our clients are given a less than 100% standard treatment and reflects badly on us as professionals.

I'm not sure how much of that was relevant or if it even made sense, but it's my 10 cents.

p.s. we had steak and veg for dinner ;)

I think the main problem here is MOBILE PHONES and the SG App !
Geeks on phones don't use the search as it is too fiddly and they can't access the blogs and they can't edit their posts so can post another 3 times to make the first post make sense :eek:

Also when you have a mobile in your hand it is too easy to type out the thought that just appeared in your head and post it !
All well and good on twitterbook (although I would unfriend you ;) ) but not what this educational professional forum is all about!

Get rid of the phone app I say!

I haven't got the time to sit at a computer. So I think I wouldn't come on at all really if it wasn for the app.

I actually do use the search facility from my phone though. As to be honest it's actually quicker than waiting for a reply. Xx

I also forgot to mention that I havent 'hearted' as I dont know what the old salon geek was like, maybe it was better, and there do seem to be a lot of part timers/one day coursers, but I think that thats a sign of the times, people are looking at other ways to generate income. Wish I had found salon geek years ago as I know I would have made the decision to train a lot sooner!

:o Oops hadn't noticed it was any different lol

Mind you I do spend most of my time on here on the Prof forums (nails mostly)

I scan the chitchat topics and if they don't appeal I don't read them.

Mind you at the risk of sounding like a prude there have been a few posts which I've thought contained words and phrases which I thought were a bit inappropriate for a forum where we are all professionals, letting out hair down or not

Can I just say,

I love the App. Please don't get rid.

Alot of the people hear work from home on their own and come on between client to have a chat

If that stoped a lot of people would leave. Just dont read the posts that dont intrest you.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I realise that I may be shot down in flames for this. However...

In my opinion there aren't enough true professionals left here; those whose sole career, whose raison d'etre, is the beauty/hair industry. I've read so many posts saying I spent £500 so I'm a professional, even though I'm only doing 'x' as a little side-line to earn some extra money. Or posts asking for help and then disregarding the help given by true professionals who have given freely of their time in order to help. That really drives me crazy and is what, IMO, drags the industry as a whole - not just this site - down. It means that our clients are given a less than 100% standard treatment and reflects badly on us as professionals.

I'm not sure how much of that was relevant or if it even made sense, but it's my 10 cents.

p.s. we had steak and veg for dinner ;)

For what it's worth, I think that every sector of our industry, hair, beauty and nails has/is being hugely undermined at the moment by the backyard barbies, kitchen mafia, cowboys and Messers that have invaded it with the draw of what they think is easy money .... They are taking advantage of the fact that things are tough for allot of folks who are strapped for cash but still want their hair extensions, colour, nails and skin looked after and aren't really fussy as to who does it or how unqualified they are to do the job. These types have along with that trend, also invaded salon geek, which is why there is so much less professionalism here on salon geek at the moment. The real professionals are BUSY.

Personally I find it difficult to be civil sometimes. I am so incensed and annoyed with the questions from hundreds about, "where can I get the cheapest training, products, books, always the cheapest! The eBay posts and the quick fix one day courses (if you can call anything that lasts for one day a course!!). Their inane drivel drives me loopy and I can't bear to even read the threads let alone answer them. It makes me cringe to think that other people read that crappola on salon geek which is supposed to be a professional forum. Frankly I find the posts insulting.

Whereas I used to teach allot here, now none of the group I'm talking about above is even capable of asking an intelligent question? So nowadays, instead of teaching, I answer questions about CND products and services and pounce on anything that looks remotely interesting (which sadly are few and far between).

I'd rather not be only answering product questions ... I'd rather be teaching and I don't care if I have to cover old ground or if someone hadn't done a search ... Teaching is about covering old ground again and again. But it seems that the new invaders think they know it all after a day and don't need teaching!

I have noticed Though, that there are some serious heads about lately and I welcome them with open arms. One reason CND has moved ahead with an even more serious portfolio of classes at a much more serious price is to deter the Messers and to attract those who are determined to make a career. I think it was a very good move and it definitely does discourage the Messers from knocking on our door. We really do not want to be elitest, but have kind of been forced that way to attract those with a professional head. On their shoulders.

For what it's worth, I think that every sector of our industry, hair, beauty and nails has/is being hugely undermined at the moment by the backyard barbies, kitchen mafia, cowboys and Messers that have invaded it with the draw of what they think is easy money .... They are taking advantage of the fact that things are tough for allot of folks who are strapped for cash but still want their hair extensions, colour, nails and skin looked after and aren't really fussy as to who does it or how unqualified they are to do the job. These types have along with that trend, also invaded salon geek, which is why there is so much less professionalism here on salon geek at the moment. The real professionals are BUSY.

Personally I find it difficult to be civil sometimes. I am so incensed and annoyed with the questions from hundreds about, "where can I get the cheapest training, products, books, always the cheapest! The eBay posts and the quick fix one day courses (if you can call anything that lasts for one day a course!!). Their inane drivel drives me loopy and I can't bear to even read the threads let alone answer them. It makes me cringe to think that other people read that crappola on salon geek which is supposed to be a professional forum. Frankly I find the posts insulting.

Whereas I used to teach allot here, now none of the group I'm talking about above is even capable of asking an intelligent question? So nowadays, instead of teaching, I answer questions about CND products and services and pounce on anything that looks remotely interesting (which sadly are few and far between).

I'd rather not be only answering product questions ... I'd rather be teaching and I don't care if I have to cover old ground or if someone hadn't done a search ... Teaching is about covering old ground again and again. But it seems that the new invaders think they know it all after a day and don't need teaching!

I have noticed there are some serious heads about lately and I welcome them with open arms. One reason CND has moved ahead with an even more serious portfolio of classes at a much more serious price is to deter the Messers and to attract those who are determined to make a career. I think it was a very good move and it definitely does discourage the Messers from knocking on our door. We really do not want to be elitest, but have kind of been forced that way to attract those with a professional head. On their shoulders.
Count yourself lucky, we are constantly being asked where to get Russian hair in Pre bonds for twenty pence a go!
I have typed out what "remy" means so many times, yet they all ignore it, and go on believing they can find magic hair for thru pence on tinternet if they just ask often enough.

Yes the messers are boring and the stupid questions are tedious.

What the idiots forget is that some of us make serious money in these industries, and should be listened to.

I have noticed Though, that there are some serious heads about lately and I welcome them with open arms. One reason CND has moved ahead with an even more serious portfolio of classes at a much more serious price is to deter the Messers and to attract those who are determined to make a career. I think it was a very good move and it definitely does discourage the Messers from knocking on our door. We really do not want to be elitest, but have kind of been forced that way to attract those with a professional head. On their shoulders.

I couldn't agree more - and especially with your second paragraph.

Whilst it saddens me that you no longer teach as much on here (and believe me, I'd love the opportunity to be taught for real!), it saddens me more that some of the posters on here don't seem to realise what an amazing resource we've actually got; to be able to pick the brains of our industries' elite - and for free?! But then those who are only in it for the money don't care anyway, do they?

With regards to the restructuring of CND education, I, for one, certainly don't see it as elitist, but as protecting a strong, professional brand. The whole reason I went with CND (well, other than the education ;)) was because they are by professionals, for professionals. And I am proud to use their products for that very fact!

Back again!

See this is why I love Geeg! She fair, honest but doesn't sugar coat things.

Can I also say though, I blame the providers of these crappy day courses above all. They KNOW that what they are doing isn't decent training and they do it anyway, and people who are ignorant of the beauty industry see a beauty course and book up without realising. So maybe lets crack down on the providers, not the poor people who have paid hundreds for something that's made them as qualified in beauty/nails/hair as my MIL's yorkshire terrier. Because the ones that are serious then have to fork out again and are kicking themselves in the shins for being so dumb.

SO yes, lets get those unscrupulous training providers who are making thousands off ignorant peoples cash. :sad:

Amen. X

i pop in and out of the forums , see what's happening and head back in time ... i have got so much from the archives , they are a real treasure trove of information.
it bugs me that so many people who are obviously not trained and are just chancers are able to access this site and pick our brains for their own benefit considering they may then be under cutting a genuine business person from whom they may have gotten advice from on here.

I miss the technical threads - now its all about specific brand products, which is cheaper, quickest etc rather than technique and how we can improve. We have lost so many knowledgeable and experienced geeks and those who want to really 'make it' in this industry and that it is a real loss to the SG community.

Chit chat used to be such fun where we could make friendships and learn about each other - now...please, go to Netmums if you have a question about milk, nappies, weaning etc As has been said before, you want to tell people what you are doing right now - go to facebook or twitter!

This is a professional site, not for DIYers lets keep it that way :)

I seem to be saying this a lot lately but I'll say it again anyway...

Halle-freakin-lujah, Geeg!!

As a newbie to the site I can't comment on how it was before but, I signed up to this site to learn, get people's opinions or see what's new. It's so difficult to find answers to my questions or interesting threads to read because so many off topic threads get in the way!! I use my phone and the search option only goes back so far, again the off topic posts get in the way so I find myself posting again and irritating people!! I don't mind the odd chit chat topic I've taken part in a couple a majority are still around the subject of beauty though, that's what I'm here for after all!!

As a newbie to the site I can't comment on how it was before but, I signed up to this site to learn, get people's opinions or see what's new. It's so difficult to find answers to my questions or interesting threads to read because so many off topic threads get in the way!! I use my phone and the search option only goes back so far, again the off topic posts get in the way so I find myself posting again and irritating people!! I don't mind the odd chit chat topic I've taken part in a couple a majority are still around the subject of beauty though, that's what I'm here for after all!!

Really nice to hear from a newbie on this thread and that you too find it frustrating that there are so many off topic posts.

As mods we do our best to move threads that don't belong and spend a good part of our time on here trawling through thread after thread that doesn't actually break any rules but that we would maybe prefer not to be here.

I think the problem is where you draw the line, there are so many grey areas. It would help if people would read the rules and put off topic stuff in Chit Chat or Blogs, this would help to keep the main boards clear and then we could all avoid the trivia quite easily, except mods of course, by not clicking on the button.

The thing that annoys me the most is when someone asks what nails they were wearing in TOWIE or XFactor as if it were a professional question.

We are never all going to agree on everything but I do think the rot has set in and if we don't do something about it this site will be unrecognisable in a year's time.:sad:

Really nice to hear from a newbie on this thread and that you too find it frustrating that there are so many off topic posts.

As mods we do our best to move threads that don't belong and spend a good part of our time on here trawling through thread after thread that doesn't actually break any rules but that we would maybe prefer not to be here.

I think the problem is where you draw the line, there are so many grey areas. It would help if people would read the rules and put off topic stuff in Chit Chat or Blogs, this would help to keep the main boards clear and then we could all avoid the trivia quite easily, except mods of course, by not clicking on the button.

The thing that annoys me the most is when someone asks what nails they were wearing in TOWIE or XFactor as if it were a professional question.

We are never all going to agree on everything but I do think the rot has set in and if we don't do something about it this site will be unrecognisable in a year's time.:sad:

Hi may I comment to as a fellow newbie too.... I am training and find this site invaluable for knowledge and guidance. In chit chat I assume people see the title as a free for all (why would they think any limit to what they post applies?)..
When I joined I admit I did not read the rules - if this was made to be compulsory..BEFORE you are able to go any further this may help with any grey areas..
I have to admit some threads I have thought strange but simply choose which to look at its my choice.. but some do look at those and comment and the poster gets the answer... then it turns from a chitchat post into a personal post...?

it must be soo hard doing your job trawling through - but I have to say I have gained amazing advice on the forums so far and if anyone has mentioned a 'personal' issue and I relate to it I simply pm them where appropriate.

As for crappy stuff like "i'm off to have a wee be back in a min" er no not for me !
Salon Geek is a top class site and I have not experienced any issue so far so thank you kindly x :D

Latest posts

Back