wages and takings for salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slade

Reaction score
First post here guys so be kind!!

I own a salon in Hampshire with 11 staff. This inc 1 beautician. Our beautician takes a lot less than the stylists yet wants pretty much the same wage. our stylists take on avarage about 1300 per week and we pay them about 320 plus about another 70 comission. So with retail as well about 400 per week.

Our beautician takes about 650 per week and we pay her 270 plus about 20 comission. and retail of about another 5 pounds. so she gets about 295 per week

Does this sound about right?

Should my beautician be taking a lot more.

I dont think she will ever get close to what a stylist takes yet she is only about 105 pounds behind my stylists in wages.
Any advise would be welcome on this.

Ive had the salon about 10 years so come across most problems. So any questions i can help with i would gladly do so.

thanks

I work in a salon and have to pay them 40% of what I take and I supply my own products and equipment, I think it is about right what you are paying as you supply the products and equipment, hth:)

blimey! I'm going to jack in being self-employed and come and work for you!

It is perhaps difficult to compare the takings for a Beauty Therapist to a stylist. But, how full is her treatment column? How much incentive is there for her to retail products? What is the commission based on?

I would pay more for a member of staff who is generating more income. But there are other things to consider such as her overall input and value into the salon, client loyalty etc - oey has mentioned commission - is it possible that she can boost her earning with commission on retail and treatments?

With respect Slade, your beautician only takes what you get booked in for her. Am I right in thinking that she's employed and not self employed? If so, it's not her responsibility to set the prices.

Hair stylists will always generate more income per hour as there is a limit to what a beautician can earn and she will be governed by what you charge. I suppose one way to look at it would be work out the average that your stylist can bring in for say a cut and blow (45mins ?) and look at your beauty prices and alter them so they bring in the same for a pedi (45 mins). I doubt that they'll be able to match it.

Phew! I'm exhausted trying to explain what I mean so I hope I've not bored you as much as I have myself. Do you get what I mean Slade? xxx

difference is, with hairdressing you can have up to three clients sitting there per stylist. whilst colours are developing you can be starting another one, and that client is paying, how much, say £80 for her cut and colour?

so a cut and colour, 2 hours, £80, and u can do say 3 clients in 3 or 4 hours, thats ALOT more than a beauty therapist will make. because the services we offer, usually we have to spend that entire time with the client.

WOW didnt think i would get so many replies so quickly. Thanks everyone. Our beautician has been going now for about 2 years and is fairly booked up. She has some days where she has 2 people booked in and some days where shes fully booked. She gets 10% on all her retail sold. And with her takings comission she has to take 500 plus vat (528.75) to earn 10 pounds. Then every 50 plus vat she earns after that she gets 10 pounds. So if she takes 1000 pounds she would get 80 pounds.

Its the same sort of thing for our stylists. They have to take 750 plus vat (881.25) to earn 10 pounds. Then its the same, every 50 plus vat they take she gets another 10 pounds. So if she takes 1500 per week she gets 100 pounds.

Does this seem fair?

thanks again!

hi ya,

i worked in a hairdressing salon in hampshire, where i worked as a beauty therapist. (there was 2 beauty therapists, and 13 stylists etc). my set up was £5.50 per hour, 10% commission on everything i did, and 20% commission on retail. i roughly took home £240/£320 per week take home. (this was 3years ago been out the country since then).

my boss has had the salon 21 years and the beauty department up and running for 12 years. she used to always say "beauty would never make as much as hairdressing because of the cost/use of products" beauty uses so many more consumables. but she did say she it was only a matter of time before beauty become a neccesssity.

soz for going on i hope that helps

kels x

o my gosh i take home A LOT LESS than that a week can i work for you?!

hi

Personally i think your rates are very generous, they reward the hard workers, basically your stylist are on £8 per hour and if they hit their target its roughly 20% comm??

Therapist: 6.75 per hour and the same commission structure?

There is a far better mark up on beauty retail products so your therapist could be earning a lot more there than your hairdressers.

I reward the high earners in my salon, the other staff see that and so strive to hit there targets if they cant be bothered then they don't get rewarded.

I think that as she has been there for 2 years then she has had plenty of time to build up a good clientèle.

A fully booked therapist shows good client retention, on the days she isn't busy, does she go round the hair clients offering a manicure etc?? to boost her income??

The more pro-active you are the more productive you are. You can't expect people to come to you you have to encourage them.

Encourage her to send out text/email offers to clients to fill up her less busy days.
HTH

Latest posts

Back