Was a bit worried about UV nail clients in another salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffy123

Reaction score
Well I am a nail tech of 12 years and I use ibd just gel ( never had any problems ) anyway I go to another salon to get spray tans everyweek and The waiting room is right next to The nail bars , anyway to cut a long story short , the past three times I have been in , I have witnessed three seperatly clients crying out that there nails are burning under uv light ! It's quite disturbing as I don't ever get this problem with ibd , in Thr future I was going to purchase shellac but slightly put off.
Why the heck is it burning those clients ,?? U think the therapist doing something wrong ??

I don't know what they are doing, I would imagine they aren't using the complete CND system, if it's CND Shellac at all.

I've not heard of this before. I Shellac myself as well as others and I have never had a problem. Friends have been having Shellac for a couple of years and they've never had issues.

It's something the techs doing and definitely not the CND product or the CND lamp. Don't be put off, Shellac is great when applied properly with the complete CND system xx

A burning sensation when using gel is called a heat spike. Normally if the gel is applied too thickly and/or nails are thin. I didn't think Shellac was even a gel, more a power polish.

I would be very surprised if they are really using Shellac and if they are they really aren't using it properly! Don't be put off - it is a great product xx

Thanks for ur replies , it's been three separate occasions I have gone in and they are all burning , I have checked the product and it's shellac! Was thinking they applied too thick or something !
I have never had problems like that and was worried for the clients .

was it CND shellac?

i'm using CND shellac since it's launch and no one has ever had a heat spike like you describe.

that to me suggests what racheal 204 has said...thin nails plates from over filing or gel applied to thick.

the CND UV lamp also has a built in fan to prevent it overheating and reducing heat spikes....my guess would be that if they are using CND shellac they havent bothered getting a CND lamp.

How bizarre! I've been using Shellac for about 8 months now and have never had heat spikes! It's not supposed to happen with CND Shellac.
If this is putting you off buying CND Shellac, you needn't worry as the fact that they are burning screams dodgyness to me. Dodgy as in not CND Shellac or paper thin nails or incorrect use of system/ wrong system.

Buy the whole system, from Sweet Squared or Ellisons and you will be fine.

It would seem that whether over filing, applying products incorrectly or (I don't know how you do links, but if you search for UV Product Summary, it says about heat spikes) for a safe, fully cured Shellac, you need to use the complete CND system so it's the techs fault and not Shellac itself x

UV Product summary & lamp info

the link above is to the article about UV products & lamps - there is a description & info on what heat spike is and why it occurs..

it should NOT be happening with shellac - ever... I would be concerned that one of the following was happening:
Incorrect lamp
Overly aggressive prep of the natural nail
refilling shellac bottles with another gel product

Doug spent a LOT of time formulating CND UV systems to stop heat spike because it is such an issue for other brands and can lead to a lot of trauma and discomfort for the client...

hth's

Never had heat spike with Shellac. Definitely don't let that put you off-Shellac is fabulous, I can't have anything else on my nails now!!!!

I had slight heat spike with shellac on myself when I imbedded opaling into the tip and covered with a thicker layer of top coat. But never with regular application and in the beginning we where applying to thick until we learnt better.

This week alone I've had customers who have been elsewhere for shellac and I've redone it for them.
Three are surprised by the wraps as they have had it soaked off and one had her nails buffed because they were 'oily'.
Makes my blood boil as these are supposed to be professional salons and I know some look down on us mobile professionals as not being as good.
I call myself professional because I follow any procedure I do to the letter and it's been commented on that they never expected this from mobile.
Sorry that was a little rant but it's terrible when a product gets a bum rap and it's the people using it that causes the problems.
Off my soap box now :)
Vicki x

I've never known Shellac to cause heat spike especially so to make the clients cry out!! Something seems a miss so I think it is probably what others said- not actual Shellac, not the correct lamp,or incredibly damaged nails. I've accidentally painted Shellac thick before and it's gone wrinkly, not caused a heat spike.

E xx

Thanks for all ur replies ! It's just worried me when I hear them shouting it's burning it's burning ! As a nail tech I wanna step in and help but it's not my place .
X

Sounds like its not Shellac to me too. I was browsing Amazon the other day looking for some nail wheels for displaying my Shellac colours, and because I'd used the word Shellac in my search. loads of bottles of "shellac" came up in the search. Some of them looked like the real thing, but some of them were just generic polish bottles with a really crap label on, but were labelled shellac!! Just goes to show theres some dodgy products out there.

If I may....

The ONLY time I EVER felt heat with a Shellac application was after I had another tech remove acrylics for me and she over buffed the nails on one hand. Even then it was a mild prickly heat and not a burn, but again I blame the tech for buffing my nails. They were like paper and I did my own Shellac to try and strengthen them. Never again, I'll remove it myself thank you!

Having said that, after a week with shellac and solar oil and my nails on that hand were absolutely shining :D

the reason its burns is because the client may have damage to there natural nail plate and when in the uv light it can sting.i had this happen to me after having acrylics.

I've had heat spike with clear calgel but never shellac. I was told its common with the clear calgel

Latest posts

Back