Was my acrylic course a scam?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My diploma certificate is accredited by the guild and its clearly shown on my certificate but to have Sally's say your course is accredited by them and to not having representation of it on the certificate seems a little odd! I can't imagine how you must be feeling, upset? angry? I know I would be! I would of love to hear how your conversation with Sally goes tomorrow (I hope you'll be ringing them asap), and what sort of excuse they may come up with..

i called them on thursday and she took a list of my complaints and said she would get back to me on tuesday due to the bank holiday. she said no one else has ever complained about it and that we are the firsts. i told her about the certificate and that i could printed one the exact same she said. oh thats not good is it. but everytime i kept trying to say more complaints she just over spoke with well i will get back to you on tuesday but i will be calling head office i think regardless tomorrow and then onto trading standards. xxx

How can no one have complained before?!

And you go for it girl and let me know how you get on! You put your money into this and gave it your all and all they have done is give you lousy training and a bog standard certificate that couldn't even be bothered to do a bloody spellcheck on!!

Last edited:
OMG this is terrible, i would be straight on the phone to them and i wouldnt give up till i got what i wanted. Its has made me seriously re think about training with them, if that is what i am going to end up with. :eek:

Let us know how you get on hun xx

What a joke!!! I agree with everyone else, complain to Sally's then take it further regardless of what they do.
Maybe you and your fellow class mates might be the ones who make Sally's change their ways, you never know:)
As for them saying they have never had previous complaints.....yer right, I don't think so, they just say that to try and make you feel bad, so just ignore it cause they are not going to openly admit "oh yes, we get at least 2 complaints every week about our courses" are they??? No, so just ignore it and take your complaint as far as you can go with it cause surely you have a governing body who keeps an eye on this type of thing.

Good luck and please let us know how you go tomorrow.

I feel for you.

Karma for this company will prevail.

Put it in writing. Take the correct steps with them. Give them 7 days to reply to you in writing. You have not been treated fairly. Ensure that you use as many legal words as possible. I don't have a legal background.

You want to go for a financial compensation so that you can re-take the course else where.

I would contact the Trading Standards also so that they don't attempt to do it again. They would get a hefty fine!

I hope other therapist come forward too!

Keep us posted and good luck!

What a bloody shambles! I would also take it up with the GUILD .. they are very nice people and perhaps they can explain why they accredit these ridiculous courses ... ??

this is shocking. I can not believe the bad experience you have had. If i were you, i would definately make sure your complaint is heard to the very top.
I did a nail technician course at college. Just finished in March and i have to say i really did enjoy it, and i am really glad i chose to go there over anywhere else.
I did do alot of research and toying with different places before i decided.
The course i did covered everything i needed to know. WE did skills week in Feb where we could do other courses like Spray tanning, ear piercing and many, many nail courses all with accredited certificates from the indiviual companys or college cert.
I didn't have to pay for my course either as it was my first nvq with them and they provided funds to help pay for my exam fee, kit and uniform. All of this i didn't expect to get because i just thought it was people on benefits who got all of this help. However everyone on my course got this help of some description.

Good luck with your complaint.
x

When complaining about something I always put it in writing and send it with a delivery signature request and then there is a trace of it. I would do this too if you get no joy from your telephone call.

I hate when people use that cr*p, you are the first to complain, yeah really!

I am not fan of Sally full stop, selling professional products to anyone and producing "possibly" sub standard courses.

We all misspell at times but on a certificate, well that just sums it up really.

Good luck with it all.

soo..... Sallys called

Basically sallys spoke down to me like i was nothing! told me they would contact asp and get back to me A.S.P then called me to ask what was wrong with the course etc i told them and told them about the certificate aswell as the standard of course. The said they are sorry about the spelling mistake and that she hadnt even realised. she then said to me so if i put the word diploma on your certificate will this be ok. i was quite shocked she even said this! i mean hell why not put nvq 1/2/3 on there whilst your at it...

I then called sallys and spoke to the manager, she then said to me the course was an introduction course and was to be trained to work on family and friends. not to recieve a qualification and that they have called he rest and no1 else has complained!! 3 out of 6 of us have now

The guilds said yes they are acredited by them. but they will only offer insurance for working on family and friends. im so shocked!! sallys said if we wanted a full qualification then we would have needed to take the 6 day course!

ERR WHAT 6 DAY COURSE"??? no 1 mentioned a 6 day course to me! it states in the brocher a nationally recognised qualification will be awarded upon completition of the course. no1 mentioned this was a corse to work on family and friends!.

So i called trading standerds and she said its a breach of contract. under the legislation of goods a services act 1982 and to write an email stating this and told me some other things to write. and give them 7 days to respond. As well as asking for a full refund. They have responded so far saying thanks for your email we are currently investigating your complaint and will be in touch in due corse.

So i guess its another wait and see! xxx

Good stick with it, some times you need to rock the apple cart with these people as they think they can just Bull S*** you and you will go away, that always makes me want to dig my heels in stronger.

As this thread gets updated I am getting more and more shocked and stunned! I sincerely hope you get a full refund and some sort of apology about this ridiculous situation - and that trading standards can somehow ensure this stops!

Kate x

it is shocking honestly. i just cant belive how they have handled it all too. completly miss described the whole corse and qualification. on a more positive note ive just reciveed my nail trainer hand to get some practise in :D

I have to say I am really shocked by this,so much so its made me worry about my original course I did at college as it was a 3 day one with day 4 being the assessment day.is that enough to be insured to work on the public & not just friends & family?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Hey, you definetly need to keep on with this complaint!

I'm in a similar position as you with oh funnily enough the same company,

I've been complaining since January (am I right in thinking it's now April?) they owe me £300 & I will not give up until I have been given a refund.

In my opinion sallys training is a sham. every person 'I've' spoken to have been unhappy, I've done 2 courses with them now & I'd never do another, Rip offs. x

I'm afraid companies can call their training anything they like! Yes, even 'nationally recognised' but that's only by them! They can create their own bits of paper and are responsible to no one (unless there is a Trading Standards issue) In the world of real recognised qualifications a certificate is a relatively short course, perhaps on 1 or 2 subjects and a diploma is a much longer course covering a wider area.

As for the 'accredited' bit I'm afraid I don't hold much store by this. Accreditation is something than is paid for and there is no 'policing' of the standards of teaching. The Guild are very nice people and do a good job, on the whole. However, they are in the business of selling insurance and can't check on the courses. The insurance for these types of courses is very limited.

Horses for courses I'm afraid and in the private training sector (which this is) it is better to go with training that has the very best reputation and the best teachers.

Hi, I recently looked into doing an acrylic course and going on it tomorrow. I found these through going through the list of accredited training providers found on The Guild website so would recommend this as thinking about it no courses on the site were provided by sally's and I did an area search and there's a sally's where I live.x

I don't understand why someone who provide a course 'just for family and friends' as if the deserve a lesser service!

I don't understand why someone who provide a course 'just for family and friends' as if the deserve a lesser service!

I understand what the poster meant and I'm sure that we have all practiced on family and friends as they DO offer themselves to support a newby and don't expect perfection.

No it means as in the course is simply to perform acrylic overlays on family and friends for example I can't work In a salon I couldn't start my own business I can't hire a room to work etc etc. it's not because family and friends would deserve a lesser treatment. It's most probably because family and friends would be less likely to sue you and make a claim hence only getting limited insurance to work on them. It's stupid! And I wont be giving up till I receive a refund I'll add a picture of the new certificate they've sent me. Just adding the word diploma randomly no mention of me recieving a diploma just that I've completed a course in diploma it's stupid!! Xxx

Latest posts

Back