Water Marbling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traci3132

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the best polish to use for water marbling?

also i know to use room temp water, but do you add anything to the water....like polish thinner or anything?

any tips for this would be great thanks.:D

Use any good quality polish experiment with a few different brands and colours and you will soon find out which ones work best, you dont need to add anything to the water but my top tip would be....(drum roll)...put vaseline on all surrounding skin on the fingers first or you will end up in a right mess! x

Use any good quality polish experiment with a few different brands and colours and you will soon find out which ones work best, you dont need to add anything to the water but my top tip would be....(drum roll)...put vaseline on all surrounding skin on the fingers first or you will end up in a right mess! x

thank u for ur answer, much appreciated. xo

My top tips are: Art Club stripers and polishes are my favorite for this technique and since the water thins out the polish so much--it dries thoroughly super fast--this allows you to use a gel overlay to seal the work. I use OPI Axxium Gel Overlay and put it on and cure it before clean up, this way I can use a cotton pad with acetone and just clean up the fingertip without worrying about messing up the polish.

OPI polishes work perfect for me and from the cheaper ones I've discovered that Maybeline works well too. Covering nail surrounding skin with vaseline and cuticle oil is very hepfull as mentioned above. What else I do is: I cut a simple forms from paper to cover my fingers like in the pic below and attach them with sticky tape:
Watermarble.jpg

I can do all my nails in about 20minutes, it's great fun, I love water marbling because of random designs and thin coat of polish comparing to painting them in few colors that make nails look like birthday cakes :D
one of the quickies:
Watermarbling.jpg

They are lovely! Maybe you shuld do a step by step looks like you have perfected it, I've always found it a bit hit and miss!

OPI polishes work perfect for me and from the cheaper ones I've discovered that Maybeline works well too. Covering nail surrounding skin with vaseline and cuticle oil is very hepfull as mentioned above. What else I do is: I cut a simple forms from paper to cover my fingers like in the pic below and attach them with sticky tape:
Watermarble.jpg

I can do all my nails in about 20minutes, it's great fun, I love water marbling because of random designs and thin coat of polish comparing to painting them in few colors that make nails look like birthday cakes :D
one of the quickies:
Watermarbling.jpg

This are absolutey stunning!!! wow :D
Please if you have time will you do a video are something.... ur realy good at it. xoxoxo

Thanks to everyone else for their tips and tricks xoxox

This are absolutey stunning!!! wow :D
Please if you have time will you do a video are something.... ur realy good at it. xoxoxo

Thanks to everyone else for their tips and tricks xoxox

They are fantastic, I would also appreciate a video if you have the time xxxx

Thanks girls! myself I see loads of flaws in those nails, but thanks anyway.
there's plenty of videos on youtube, just search for water marbling.

oh and one more tip: if you're using your cereals bowl from your kitchen and you know you'll have to clean it afterwards my suggestion is to line it with a shrink wrap before filling up with water so your bowl will stay clean, you just have to bin dirty shrink wrap after you're finished with marbling.
and always try to put your nails into the water/polish bowl pararel to the surface to get the same design on your nail as you see in the bowl.

one of my first tries:
marblingfingerstogehter.jpg

good luck! and have fun!

your nail polish looks so strong in colour mine seem to lose that when i drop them into the water.. any tips on how to better that???????

thanks

Hi all, I have just discovered water marbling and am fascinated!! :D Little things please little minds!! Have only used tap water so far but I understand bottled/filtered water is best. Going to try that tomorrow and see how quick I can do them as it seems to take me forever!! (I'm an annoying perfectionist!!!) I have also used an array of polishes but my best ones have been created with Nails Inc colours. Nice bright pinks and purples. Lush for summer!!

Any more tips from anyone else with experience in marbling would be hugely appreciated!! :?: :D x Trace x

they are amazing! can you do a tutorial on how to do them, PLEASE????? x

Ok- Been looking on You Tube, just need to ask, do you already have a base on the nail of solid colour or base coat?

:?::?::?:

I usually apply a base coat to my nails if I'm keeping the art on. You can apply a colour as a base colour if you would prefer, I think it's all down to personal choice. :)

Thanks!

Have watched you tube loads now and am just about to give it a go.

Look amazing!

I stumbled across this post yesterday and was very intrigued I therefore gave it a go last night and am absolutley loving the results!!! I used OPI polishes and they worked a treat!! Thanx.

Im attempting this with my opi polishes and everytime they blob up and sink to the bottom....am I blobbing each drop too thickly or something?
Have tried room temp water,warm water and cold water and nothing helps lol it cant be the opi as this has worked for others...what am I doing wrong :mad:

roarrrrrr :irked:

Just tried it again and the same thing happens....the first blobs spreading out and drying and the rest just stay in big blobs...the second I try and do the marbling it go pear shaped...any ideas what Im doing wrong?? xxx

ive just done this on a nail tip ! , and my god :eek: amazing aint the word !!

This looks amazing! I did marbling at college, but not water marbling. I love the pics that have been posted, they look gorgeous! :)

Looks like I'll be experimenting tomorrow:idea:

Latest posts

Back