Waxing - conflict of interest

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiC

Reaction score
Advice pretty please!

There is a new beauty therapist in town, currently I'm the only one. She hasn't started a business as yet but she texted me asking if I could wax her legs at home (I'm not mobile) as she broke her arm and can't travel to me or wax herself. She's said she has all the equipment couch, wax etc if that makes it easier for me.

What to do? A) if I use her equipment how do I charge? B) I'm a bit nervous as I don't know what wax and equipment she uses so it will be different to what I'm use to C) don't know her story but worried shell suss me out and set up competition which ordinarily is fine but as I'm relatively new and have built up a good client base im scared to loose them or them having a choice! (don't mean to sound spoilt) D) should I do it? I doubt she'll be regular client if she's a therapist herself.

Your thoughts?

To be honest, I wouldn't do it, if you aren't mobile then you aren't mobile, she'll either have to come to you or attempt to do them herself. Also, I'd rather use my own stuff than someone elses, you know how yours works, you dont know how hers work. Some people do tend to visit other peoples businesses to see what they do and set up a business that can do competitive prices, this just seems like stealing and being unfair to me.

I'd be really upset if someone I didn't know who was a beauty therapist thinking of setting up their own business had a treatment by me then set up a business.

However, it may be a good idea setting up with her. You could do pamper parties and be able to book in more clients if she was mobile, you could do salon stuff and she can travel.

I know I haven't been too helpful giving you two sides but imho I probably wouldn't give her a treatment unless I knew her well.

Leanne
X

There is no reason why she can't come to your salon wih a broken arm. Tell her you don't do mobile but you are more than happy to do her treatment in your salon. Maybe offer her a later appointment in case she needs to rely on her hubby or someone to give her a lift after they finish work!
Be as accommodating as possible as you want her to spread the good word about how professional and good you were but don't do something you neither want to do or feel worried about as this will make you feel uncomfortable and you may possibly not do as good a treatment as you would normally.
I've had several ladies over the years come in to have their waxing done,with broken limbs and the only issue is the transport and sometimes getting on and off the couch. But hey,that's what taxis are for or friends and family. I wouldn't expect my hairdresser to come to my home nor my chiro if I had a broken limb so why should she expect you to come to her home? You're not a mobile therapist so just politely tell her. Hth

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it either!

No definitely dont do it, explain that you arent mobile and that you wouldnt feel comfortable using any other products and equipment apart from our own. Cant believe that she doesnt know any one elso to wax her legs for her!! Dont worry about her babes, concentrate on doing what you are doing the best that you can do it, wasting your time and energy on the competition is pointless!
xxxx

This is where my out of hours policy comes into play, make a terms of conditions, say £/$100 minimum spend, unfortunatley she is a new client so consultation must be done, plus extra costs to and from the venue/her home, if its in salon hours extra per hour.

Hopefully if she genuine she'll go through with it. Regardless of price. However if she isnt then this may deter her a little bit, but at least you've covered ya ass a little bit. Plus i would check if my insurance covers me also to other venues/houses/her equipment.

Its a win win situation, because your able to say what you'll do instead of flatly refusing! hths xoxo

Agree with babsann... There is no reason she cannot come in. I do think you are over thinking it though. Just because you are a therapist doesn't mean you don't want to treat yourself to some pampering now and then. people seem to get their backup when another local therapist books in. Its not necessarily weird or evil! Also, it's savvy to check out your competition. We all will have competition come and do their research at some point. Just take their money and smile!

Thank you EVERYONE for your replies! All taken on board. I think I'll say yes but only if she comes to me. I agree with the checking out competition and maybe hope that If she comes to me she may feel a little bit more hesitant to set up business (wishful thinking) then again she could suss me out and and say she does this this and this and while your at it I also do waxing n tinting (I only do waxing n tinting at moment). I'm a sucker and it maybe true, maybe there's no ulteria motive but to just get waxed! Ahhh I'll let you know how it pans out xx

I think if she was up to anything she would have booked to come and see you to suss out your place of work. Sounds to me like she is a girl with a broken arm who needs some waxing done.

If you don't want to go to her then don't but if you don't mind then I wouldn't be put off by her wanting to start up in business. She will have to start from the bottom too and build up her business. If your clients are happy with you and your prices then they will stay with you rather than go to someone who is just setting up and who has less experience than you. :wink2:

Do you live in Summer Bay? Must be a small town:)

The only reason I wouldn't wax her is because you're not mobile. If she comes to you then why not. I have loads of therapists come to me and I like it. x

I wouldn't go to her house as you are not mobile but I wouldn't have a problem doing a client that is a therapist.

Just say that you would be happy to treat her at your salon but you do not do home visits.

Latest posts

Back