Waxing-removing the skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend that comes to me every now and then for waxing. I usually do her underarm and bikini area. Now on this particulaer lady with every wax ths skin seems to come away with the wax and strip. Now, I have been carrying out waxing treatments for quite a few years now, so I believe that I am quiet experinced with it (always willing to learn and get tips though).I hold the skin taught and where possible, get the clients to pull too.

I use warm wax for these areas. She says that she has a bath/shower just before she comes (applies no lotion/deoderant). I thought that this might be the cause??? Never had this happen to me before:irked:

Any ideas?

I was taught that this can happen if the skin is undermoisturised/dry skin ???

Hey Babs :)

Using a small amount of oil acts as a barrier between skin and wax in a similar way to talc/powder. The main difference is that talc absorbs moisture, which can result in wax sticking to the skin (in turn making lifting and irritation more likely), whilst oil creates a lubricant barrier that prevents the wax from sticking to the skin.

Still do your pre-wax cleanse. The idea is to have a controlled amount of oil on the skin, so your pre-wax product will remove excess sebum, perspiration and body lotions, etc, that would otherwise make life difficult.

Andy
Thanx Andy,as I said in my Pm I havn't ever needed to use any oil when I have waxed.Never say never though.You live and learn eh.Thanks for getting back on this issue :hug:

Hey Babs :)

Using a small amount of oil acts as a barrier between skin and wax in a similar way to talc/powder. The main difference is that talc absorbs moisture, which can result in wax sticking to the skin (in turn making lifting and irritation more likely), whilst oil creates a lubricant barrier that prevents the wax from sticking to the skin.

Still do your pre-wax cleanse. The idea is to have a controlled amount of oil on the skin, so your pre-wax product will remove excess sebum, perspiration and body lotions, etc, that would otherwise make life difficult.

Andy

I to use oil now when waxing and agree that it works, i find that when waxing bikini, u/a and facial areas there is very little pain and redness. At college i was taught to use talc then when i started working in a salon and using a different wax system told not to use anything apart from pre-cleanse.
I just wondered why is it that colleges don't teach this because of all the therapists that i know & clients that i have waxed none of them have ever heard of using wax and think im mad !

The only time i have ever ripped away the skin was on myself and that was because i started waxing my eyebrows to soon after coming off medication (roaccutene) and the wax was quite hot, it looked like i had been burned it was that bad.

At college i was taught to use talc then when i started working in a salon and using a different wax system told not to use anything apart from pre-cleanse.
I just wondered why is it that colleges don't teach this because of all the therapists that i know & clients that i have waxed none of them have ever heard of using wax and think im mad !

I agree Juliette - using oil is still relatively unheard of within the UK, although in France and other parts of Europe it's been fairly common practice for a while. Funnily enough I only started using it because the brand of wax I use is imported from France and they sell and specifically recommend a pre-wax oil rather than a powder. I thought "hey, why not", gave it a try and haven't looked back since!

The use of oil is also gaining popularity in the States - Wax Queen Lori Nestore and our very own Huberella (Anita) are well known advocates (and what those gals don't know about waxing isn't worth knowing!). Like anything, I guess it takes time before something catches on - spread the word, lol! :lol:

Andy :green:

I agree with the oil... after using talc for several years, I discovered the oil... I will never, ever, ever, go back to powder again. I wax over pimples, moles, mucous membranes and even clients on accutane and other similar meds and never had a problem.... It's amazing.

I agree with the oil... after using talc for several years, I discovered the oil... I will never, ever, ever, go back to powder again. I wax over pimples, moles, mucous membranes and even clients on accutane and other similar meds and never had a problem.... It's amazing.
Can I ask you how you know your client is not going to have problems in the future as a result of you going over moles?
Are your insurers aware that you go over moles and are they happy to pay out if the mole turned cancerous as a result of you waxing over it?
Just wondered as waxing over moles is a contra-indication.

Can I ask you how you know your client is not going to have problems in the future as a result of you going over moles?
Are your insurers aware that you go over moles and are they happy to pay out if the mole turned cancerous as a result of you waxing over it?
Just wondered as waxing over moles is a contra-indication.

Because, after speaking with several doctors, I've learned that not waxing over moles (or tweezing hairs out of them) is an old wives tale. As long as the mole is not really abnormally large and raised (in this case I take care to wax around it so that I don't irritate it...it won't cause any problems, it can just be uncomfortable for the client). Believe me when I say that I take extreme care to ensure that I never do anything that will harm any client.

Because, after speaking with several doctors, I've learned that not waxing over moles (or tweezing hairs out of them) is an old wives tale. As long as the mole is not really abnormally large and raised (in this case I take care to wax around it so that I don't irritate it...it won't cause any problems, it can just be uncomfortable for the client). Believe me when I say that I take extreme care to ensure that I never do anything that will harm any client.
Im sure you are well aware that any size mole can bleed,if raised there is more likelyhood of this happening be it from being caught,scratched or waxed over.
Over here we are advised against waxing raised moles full stop.
I personally am quite surprised that you have spoken to several doctors who have told you it's an old wives tale especially since they could be sued in the eventuality of someone developing problems following waxing over a mole,i.e skin cancer developing.
I personally feel more comfortable with NOT waxing over raised moles.Each to their own though I guess.

Im sure you are well aware that any size mole can bleed,if raised there is more likelyhood of this happening be it from being caught,scratched or waxed over.
Over here we are advised against waxing raised moles full stop.
I personally am quite surprised that you have spoken to several doctors who have told you it's an old wives tale especially since they could be sued in the eventuality of someone developing problems following waxing over a mole,i.e skin cancer developing.
I personally feel more comfortable with NOT waxing over raised moles.Each to their own though I guess.

I did PM you, but I'm just going to clarify here as well... When I said that I wax over moles... I do not mean I wax over all moles. Each client is different. You should be trained when waxing to be able to identify normal healthy moles and how to spot ones that could be a problem. Moles that have scabs, are oozing, and are becoming irregular in shape should not be waxed over. A hair growing out of a mole is a sign that it is a healthy mole.

I did PM you, but I'm just going to clarify here as well... When I said that I wax over moles... I do not mean I wax over all moles. Each client is different. You should be trained when waxing to be able to identify normal healthy moles and how to spot ones that could be a problem. Moles that have scabs, are oozing, and are becoming irregular in shape should not be waxed over. A hair growing out of a mole is a sign that it is a healthy mole.
I am going to add this because I feel that it needs to be said.I have also pm'd Huberella a reply.
We are not qualified to be able to distinguish between a good or a bad mole.
If it were that easy to see a hair growing out of a mole and then to decide if it were healthy then a biopsy or tests would never be necessary.
Even doctors make mistakes and dont always pick up on a good or bad mole.
I would always air on the side of caution when waxing.If you wish to wax over any mole be it raised,crusty or a hair growing out I would get a doctors consent.
Just felt this needed to be said for health and safety reasons.:)also as a warning to non qualified peeps when using a home waxing kit on themselves.xx

I must say.... my personal motto has always been.... If in doubt.... don't do it!!

Latest posts

Back