Waxing-removing the skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantrelax

Head in the clouds Geek
Reaction score
I have a friend that comes to me every now and then for waxing. I usually do her underarm and bikini area. Now on this particulaer lady with every wax ths skin seems to come away with the wax and strip. Now, I have been carrying out waxing treatments for quite a few years now, so I believe that I am quiet experinced with it (always willing to learn and get tips though).I hold the skin taught and where possible, get the clients to pull too.

I use warm wax for these areas. She says that she has a bath/shower just before she comes (applies no lotion/deoderant). I thought that this might be the cause??? Never had this happen to me before:irked:

Any ideas?

have you thought about using a small amount of oil on the area? this stops the wax grabbing at the skin.

also, have you thought about sugaring?
there is a thread on the tanning forum about it -
Sun Mist Tanning Forum - Waxing or Sugaring?

tried using talc ?

From reading all the previous threads it seams that using oil is the best way to avoid removing skin when waxing - but what type of oil do you all use?

someones gonna say "Solar Oil" :lol:

Thanks Guys. I have heard of the oil trick before. I dont use Talc as I have read and heard that is is cancer causing. I would still like to know why the skin is being torn in the first place though.

someones gonna say "Solar Oil" :lol:

Not quite, but I remember reading a thread once where Minkus had nothing else and used Solar Oil. Apparently it works quite well :)

For waxing I use my normal "Afterwax Oil" and it works a treat !

Marlise

solar oil does work well!!

The only time this ever happened to me was with a lady who I wax regularly. The one time she came, the top layer of her skin was peeling away with the wax. When I questioned her, she admitted that she'd been in the sauna, just before coming in for her wax, although she knew she wasn't supposed to.

I'm just wondering if you client is having a hot shower or bath before coming to you, if this could be a possible cause.

hello,
ive had the same trouble once, but if you use oil surely the wax just slides off when you apply?? as i did this once and it didne remove all the hairs as it hadnt gripped propally, where am i going wrong??
sally xx

when you use oil you do only need a small amount xx

you only need a tiny amount of oil.. just so that it coats the skin. As you mentioned if you use too much the wax won't apply.... If you put on too much lightly dab before applying wax.

How do you all apply this oil - with cotton wool etc and which oil do you use?

Thanks Guys. I have heard of the oil trick before. I dont use Talc as I have read and heard that is is cancer causing. I would still like to know why the skin is being torn in the first place though.

:eek: :eek: I haven't heard this before, Why would this be??

a very light oil i.e mineral oil/afterwax oil just not almond I find it too heavy. Also before using oil check against allergies....

put a little on your hands/gloves and rub together and then apply on area. It doesn't need to be swamped.

the cause of this is if she has a bath or a shower before she has the treatment so therefore you need to advise her not to have this and maybe if you typed up a pre-treatment plan to give out to you clients before they have a treatment with you
such as no baths or showers prior to treatment if having a bikin wax make sure the area is trimmed before treatment
make up is taken off prior to treatmentall these are factors of this kind of thing happening i have these printed out i give them out to my customers and my clients respect me for this
does she use the sunbed and if so this maybe the cause aswell

I have never used oil on anybody before when waxing.I always use a pre -wax product to remove all oils prior to waxing,then talc the area.I have never taken off any skin either.Not yet anyway,lol:eek: .However the only thing I can think of is that the wax may have been too hot,your client may have had a hot bath prior to her waxing,been on a sun bed,been sunbathing,maybe you went over the same area more than once,did you pull the wax strip off at the correct angle or is she on some form of medication that causes her skin to react in this way.?
I dont understand why peeps are using oil on the skin prior to waxing it toatally contradicts everything I along with many of my friends were taught when we went to college.I.e why use a pre-wax lotion(to rid the body of any oils)when you are going to apply an oil.There is no need to tell anyone not to have a bath or shower prior to having waxing,on the contary,I would rather everyone did,Obviously not a hot one though.Somebody please explain:confused: :confused: :confused:

I dont understand why peeps are using oil on the skin prior to waxing it toatally contradicts everything I along with many of my friends were taught when we went to college.I.e why use a pre-wax lotion(to rid the body of any oils)when you are going to apply an oil

Hey Babs :)

Using a small amount of oil acts as a barrier between skin and wax in a similar way to talc/powder. The main difference is that talc absorbs moisture, which can result in wax sticking to the skin (in turn making lifting and irritation more likely), whilst oil creates a lubricant barrier that prevents the wax from sticking to the skin.

Still do your pre-wax cleanse. The idea is to have a controlled amount of oil on the skin, so your pre-wax product will remove excess sebum, perspiration and body lotions, etc, that would otherwise make life difficult.

Andy

Latest posts

Back