Waxing, who hates it or loves it.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameo Val

Reaction score
Been reading an old thread about waxing. Two people on there said that they do waxing, but absolutely hate it, but did not explain why. I am just about to start up nails in my home salon and wondered if waxing might be a good side line too. So my questions are:

If you do waxing do you love it or hate it......and the reasons why.

Is it hard to get a good finish

Is it hard to learn

What do you charge

Awaiting all your lovely replies. Thanks girls.

Val

Hi,

I offer waxing, but have to admit, there are certain things like (leg wax, and full arm wax) that I don't enjoy. I suppose the reason why I don't enjoy it, is because those bits are time consuming and tedious. However, under arms, back of neck, chest, back etc. I really enjoy doing !

Learning the technique is not too difficult, I think the trickiest thing to master is getting the wax on thin and even.

As for getting good results everytime, well, that's another matter ! The hair needs to be a certain length. Some people of course insist on having their legs done or whatever, when there is barely any hair there. Needless to say, the result isn't that good. Other people again have really strong, thick hair, and it's quite a struggle to get them out !

I offer the service, but as a whole, can't really say that it excites me. I'm more of a threading girl myself.

Katelisa on the other hand, is a complete addict and seems to really enjoy offering the service !

River

I dont particularly enjoy waxing (would much rather do a facial), but if you want a regular income waxing is certainly worth offering, God bless hairs, they do keep growing back :wink2:

I absolutely love waxing. I have a real passion, i know weird but hey someone has too lol x

I do sugaring and love it, love it, love it. Just had an 80 year old lady in with loads of facial hair and she was absolutely thrilled to bits with the smooth finish. Made my day!
Su x

I'm sending all my old lady facial client to you Sugar!

I like waxing legs and underarms and lips, some bikinis but sometimes client's stress me out esp if they haven't had their bikini waxed before, the hair may be a bit long etc everytime this happens I say Im giving up waxing!

Eyebrows, which loads of people have done are cool unless I have the older ladies whose hair is a bit courser and longer and more difficult to shape.

I love waxing - the technique take a wee while to master but I love the satisfaction of seeing the hair on the strip and the smooth skin left behind - bit weird I know :)
Salon services/ Ellisons have waxing kits from about £50 so setup costs are not that expensive. Waxing is a great bread and butter service as the clients keep coming back. HTH

i must admit that even thou nails have taken over my life...
i would say that waxing comes a close third only to hairdressing.
i have gradually reduced the amount of clients that i now do, but i could easily spent my days doing a good mix of nails, cut & colours. & waxing.

there is nothing wierd about LOVEING waxing!
it shows a desire to do a job completely, and it does give great satisfaction as others have said.
liza

I Love waxing - Only bit that I don;t like is cleaning up after I sop wax everywhere (I'm a newbie) or trying ot get the wax off of my steel spatula or tweezers.

In enough time I won't have so much mess though.

I think if you are going to do nails Waxing is an excellent source of income - gets you out of your chair, not as hard on your body, Quick results and Quick cash. You can't have someone come back to you in 2 weeks saying their hair broke and you are responsible either LoL

If you do waxing do you love it or hate it......and the reasons why. I absoutely LOVE waxing. Can't really explain why. I guess because I'm good at it and make lots of money.

Is it hard to get a good finish?

Is it hard to learn? No, not really. but it does take skill.

What do you charge? depends on what body part. Full leg... $60 Brazillian... $45-100. And how much money you make depends on how fast you are.

I offer waxing but I don't really enjoy it. For some reason I stress about it more than nails.
I stress about missing hairs, or screwing up.. which I spose I wouldn't if I was more experienced.. but I also find it tedious (apart from the very quick treatments), which I don't find nails to be, even though the act of doing nails often takes longer.
Also, my beauty couch isn't height adjustable and it gives me a sore back which is another reason not to like it!
I took it on because I thought I would get lots more clients, but I think waxing is often a thing whereby once you have a therapist you like, you stick with them, so there isn't much of an open market. Might be wrong on that one, but it certainly hasn't caught on like I thought it would.

hi,

I love doing waxing - I think I must be a bit weird as I love causing pain on people - no it's not that bad but I do quite like the whole thing!

Yes, after reading the above I am weird!

When I do a bit of waxing I sometimes get sore and stiff in the back and my legs are get sore too when standing alot.

But great money and clients do come back on a regular basis. A client said that she couldn't believe that I cleaned up the wax from her legs and took out ingrown hairs as her other therapist didn't so she always went home with fluff on her legs that was sticking to her legs and with ingrown hairs! So if you do it right your clients will come back again and again.

Do you remove the ingrown hairs with a sterilised needle? If so just be careful as you may not be insured to do this anymore. Did my waxing course today and apparently current legislation sees this as epilation and not depilation. Just thought I'd share my new found knowledge!

No I use a pair of tweezers. Obviously if they are really stuborn they are left but they normally come out easily.

I really enjoy the waxing... although I am not keen on the bikini wax, mainly because I feel for the client and the discomfort I must be causing (even though I try to keep it to a minimum)... I would love to be able to just do legs, underarms and upperlip ... that would be cool :)

I don't like having to tweeze out stray hairs much, although its better I find them and the client goes away happy :)

Can anyone advise me.

One of my beauticians keeps on receiving complaints from customers that she is causing a little bruise (one lady said a cut) under the eyebrow. We have a system in the salon called Clean & Easy. I have booked myself on a waxing course in two weeks so that I have a better knowledge on what my employees are doing, but in the meantime can anyone give me any advice.

I have spoken to my employee and we thought initially she was letting the wax go too cold when she should have been placing the wax back in the machine and therefore it was tugging a little on the skin, but as the complaints still keep coming in could it be something else she is doing wrong.

I have called a meeting with her on Friday so any advice would be great.

Hi Jenny,

I've just finished a 3 month Cibtac waxing diploma and to start with we had to practice on each other. Whenever we did eyebrows, if something 'untoward' happened, e.g. bruising or skin being taken off (frequently happened to me!) it was usually because the trainee therapist was either removing the wax incorrectly ( pulling upwards rather than across) or not stretching the skin adequately. Also, if the wax is reapplied over the same area this could cause a burn.

Having said all this, I don't use the roller method, just the pot and spatula so I wouldn't know about your wax being too cool, but perhaps if it is dragging across the delicate eye area, this could be contributing to the damage she is causing your clients.

Has your therapist been trained correctly in waxing? I know there are a lot of one day courses available and in my opinion, this just isn't long enough. I'd look into it if I were you and see if she would benefit from more training.

Jackie
x

I love waxing. Especially half leg, eyebrows,underarms, back & chest cause I can do them really quickly. Lots of my clients say I'm a saddist because I love it.

Sassy Hassy said:
Do you remove the ingrown hairs with a sterilised needle? If so just be careful as you may not be insured to do this anymore. Did my waxing course today and apparently current legislation sees this as epilation and not depilation. Just thought I'd share my new found knowledge!

I use a sterilized lancet or my ingrown tweezers when I remove ingrowns.

Beautiful Manes said:
Can anyone advise me.

One of my beauticians keeps on receiving complaints from customers that she is causing a little bruise (one lady said a cut) under the eyebrow. We have a system in the salon called Clean & Easy. I have booked myself on a waxing course in two weeks so that I have a better knowledge on what my employees are doing, but in the meantime can anyone give me any advice.

I have spoken to my employee and we thought initially she was letting the wax go too cold when she should have been placing the wax back in the machine and therefore it was tugging a little on the skin, but as the complaints still keep coming in could it be something else she is doing wrong.

I have called a meeting with her on Friday so any advice would be great.

If she is causing some bruising or removing skin, make sure she is pulling the skin taught, and prep the skin with oil before applying wax...it acts as a barrier between the wax and the skin.

Latest posts

Back