Wedding cake....make own or buy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Tech

Pampered Princess
Reaction score
Hi All!
I'm thinking of making my own wedding cake:lick: to help keep costs down a bit,and was wondering if anyone else has made there own wedding cake to keep costs down.

Any advice would be very grateful.

Many Thanks! :hug:

Beginning to feel like a wedding planner now lol
My cake was homemade by my Aunt she got 3 different size square cake tins, Made 3 rich fruitcakes that were seeped in brandy, they were then topped up with brandy each week for a few weeks and sealed in an air tight tins. Then flat iced them ( you could buy the ready rolled icing for this stage)
She then did lattice work on it and added small pink rosebuds (which you can now buy ready made up). I then brought 8 pillars and the bride and groom to go on top. It is really nice when you have made your own too :biggrin:

Blimey I've never known anyone need so much help in organising a wedding ... surprised you didn't ask us if you should say yes when he proposed!!!!!!!!

Hi Sarah we got our cake from asda's comes in 3 sizes. Then got the tier pillars and bride and groom decoration from hobbycraft, and also went to a cake decorating shop for some sugar flowers to decorate bottom and middle tier. Cost of cake altogether came to about £70.00 alot cheaper than the £250 we were quoted

sarah, why dont you start a journal about your wedding plans and everyone can reply to your entries by clicking on the discuss button,
that way we can follow it step by step until your big day!

Sarah, you have started at least 7 threads about your wedding plans recently, 3 on dresses, 2 on venues, one on limos and now cake- I for one can't keep up.
Just a suggestion, why don't you make one post for your wedding plans ( or a journal as suggested) I'm sure there are loads of geeks willing to offer advice and share their experiences - then all the ideas will be kept together for you to make your choices.

Journal is a fab idea sarah and then we can all answer your queries, as to the cake got mine in three tiers from marks and sparks cost £40 bought towers and my frend made icing flowers same as my bouguet cost £50 in total.
HTH

Sassy Hassy said:
Blimey I've never known anyone need so much help in organising a wedding ... surprised you didn't ask us if you should say yes when he proposed!!!!!!!!
:cry: Soooooooooo Sooooooooorry! i suppose no one would want any yummy wedding cake :lick: sent to them after my big day then........

LittleMsBuffIt said:
Hi Sarah we got our cake from asda's comes in 3 sizes. Then got the tier pillars and bride and groom decoration from hobbycraft, and also went to a cake decorating shop for some sugar flowers to decorate bottom and middle tier. Cost of cake altogether came to about £70.00 alot cheaper than the £250 we were quoted

Yeah Tesco's and Mark's do the individual tiers too I made a friends a couple of years ago I used some sugar crafted stargazer lillies which cost about £7 and got some really cute sugar iridiscent glitter and it looked beautiful!

Well the question is Sarah can you make good cakes if the answer is yes and you have time why not make it? You will have lots of fun and you can do it just how you like it.

If you are not sure what it will turn out like then maybe look around and try and get a good deal.

I know how much weddings cost now and not everyone has loads of dosh and need to cut back there is nothing wrong with this I am sure by the time your wedding day comes it will all be fantastic.

Caz xxx

vicxzy said:
Yeah Tesco's and Mark's do the individual tiers too I made a friends a couple of years ago I used some sugar crafted stargazer lillies which cost about £7 and got some really cute sugar iridiscent glitter and it looked beautiful!
I got married 2 years ago and bought the M&S wedding cake in 3 sizes which I stacked directly on top of each other, decorated with some tartan ribbon, red roses and Scottish thistles. The M&S cake is also delicious.

Kimmi Rocks said:
My turn now Sarah.

Shall I have a cup of tea now or a cup of coffee? I can't decide.

I personally would go with coffee, but then you are right, it is a tough decision :biggrin:

Fingertips ND said:
coffee! - I'll have one with ya Kimmi!

Defo coffee!! I'll make you both one with my new machine........ bit tricky though -your gonna have to decide which flavour you want.:)

Fingertips ND said:
OOOH NOW THAT IS A HARD ONE!

Mmmmmm - let me think!

What are the options?

Mild roast
Rich roast
Brazilian roast
Colubian roast
Smooth roast
hazelnut
Latte
Chocco/mocha

With milk full /semi/skimmed
cream/non fat creamer/coffeemate
Sugar/sweetener

Cup
Mug
Cup & saucer
glass
paper cup/ with or without lid.
the possibilities are endless!!!
the choice is yours.
Would you be liking a slice of wedding cake with that madam!

chocco, cream, one sugar, in a mug, with a spoon and a piece of battenburg!

Suzie.e said:
Mild roast
Rich roast
Brazilian roast
Colubian roast
Smooth roast
hazelnut
Latte
Chocco/mocha

With milk full /semi/skimmed
cream/non fat creamer/coffeemate
Sugar/sweetener

Cup
Mug
Cup & saucer
glass
paper cup/ with or without lid.
the possibilities are endless!!!
the choice is yours.
Would you be liking a slice of wedding cake with that madam!

NOOOOO !!!! :Scared:

Don't go and confuse matters. It was tough enough making the decision to have coffee, now you want me to decide what type of coffee and how I want it.

This is all too much ! Kimmi, what do you think, I need help deciding !!?? :biggrin:

River

I think it is about time certain geeks grew up and stopped there bitching. If you dont like a thread either report it or say nothing at all. No one is forcing anyone to read threads and to read certain posts that are on this threadto bme is just pure bullying. So either report or keep it quiet.

Hi sarah
If you decide to make your own, heres an ancient mcdonald family recipe. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You'll need the following:
1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
4 large brown eggs
2 cups of dried fruit
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of brown sugar
Lemon juice
1 cup of nuts
1 bottle of whiskey.

Sample the whiskey to check for quality.
Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again. To be sure it's the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.
Make sure the whiskey is still okay. Cry another tup. Turn off the mixer. Beat two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the tuner. If the fired druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares? Check the whiskey. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.
Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the whiskey again and go to bed. Who the hell likes fruitcake anyway??

i agree have go at making your own,
i had mine made but when my mum and dad had a 25th wedding party 10years ago i decided i would make their cake using the traditional fruit cake recipe and it was great i used roll out icing and bought roses from a cake making shop to put on it, the roses where lovely made from royal icing and in all different colours. the cake looked really professional too
it could be something you and your mum could do together

mamma said:
I think it is about time certain geeks grew up and stopped there bitching. If you dont like a thread either report it or say nothing at all. No one is forcing anyone to read threads and to read certain posts that are on this threadto bme is just pure bullying. So either report or keep it quiet.
Debbie - I totally agree. I read this as bullying but really thought I must have missed something. If I don't like a thread, I don't participate in it. This thread was harmless and I don't understand why certain Geeks have made such a fool of themselves in submitting such drivel. It's nice to be nice and nothing is achieved by being nasty and hurtful:Love:

Latest posts

Back