Wedding cake....make own or buy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sarah, do you have afriend who is good at cake making? For my wedding a friend who made cakes for a hobby made a 2 tier, 1 fruit & 1 sponge. I paid for the ingrediants and she made it as a wedding present. she even made sugar flowers to match my flowers, she did a fantastic job. if not buy the cakes from m&s and just lay flowers to match yours on each tier, a single rose or whatever you've chosen. simple and pretty is much nicer than something too ott.

I payed £200 for my cake at it was as dry as a bone. Luckly we didn'tgive it out to our guests on the day so we had a chance to try it beforehand. It was sooo dry my mam kept turnignit upside down and pouring whisky/brandy or whatever it is in it to moisten it. She kept doing this for 2 days and then let it stand to absorb the alcohol. Atfer that it was beautiful. But £200 was a rip off.

I would say if you can bake give it a try beforehand to see how it goes. I could imagine it would be the decoration and icing that would pose the greatest challenge :eek:

Urban Geek said:
Debbie - I totally agree. I read this as bullying but really thought I must have missed something. If I don't like a thread, I don't participate in it. This thread was harmless and I don't understand why certain Geeks have made such a fool of themselves in submitting such drivel. It's nice to be nice and nothing is achieved by being nasty and hurtful:Love:

I certainly wasn't trying to be Nasty, Bitchy, Hurtful or Bullying!......... drivel yes that'll be me and it was meant to be a bit of harmless fun - but people take things in different ways so point taken.

Sorry Sarah!

I think we were just being silly and it went a bit too far!

I'm sure whatever you decide for your dress, venue, flowers, cake, honeymoon etc will be fab and you will have a fab day.

Still want to see a pic of the lucky guy though!

Its a pity you're not in London Sarah, cos my big sis makes brilliant wedding cakes, and doesn't charge much for them either! She made her own too. If you're a dab hand at baking and icing, I say go for it. Some places charge astronomical prices, and they really don't cost much to make and decorate.

She's just given me a sample of her latest wedding cake which is lemon flavoured, and I am stuffing my face right now! Thats another thing - lots of people are breaking away from tradition and having loads of different flavours apart from fruit and plain - hence the lemon cake I'm scoffing now.:biggrin:

Good luck!

Sue

Go for it hunny, but only if you have the time!! dont forget everythign else you have to do as well as relax and enjoy the day.

Keep us posted.
xxx

Suzy Q said:
Its a pity you're not in London Sarah, cos my big sis makes brilliant wedding cakes, and doesn't charge much for them either! She made her own too. If you're a dab hand at baking and icing, I say go for it. Some places charge astronomical prices, and they really don't cost much to make and decorate.

She's just given me a sample of her latest wedding cake which is lemon flavoured, and I am stuffing my face right now! Thats another thing - lots of people are breaking away from tradition and having loads of different flavours apart from fruit and plain - hence the lemon cake I'm scoffing now.:biggrin:

Good luck!

Sue

Oh that sounds really nice you should think about this Sarah maybe you would think of breaking the tradition and have one of these cakes.

I am sure you will be on line later I know you had your first day of your course today bet you have had fun :biggrin:

Caz xxx

i got mine in marks and spencers, and done my own decorations on it. xxx

my mums cousins daughter had chocolate, traditional and carrot cake done in 3 teirs......the choccy one was yummy, although i think these cakes can cost even more than just traditional fruit cakes

stanleyann

Iv'e just noticed that iv'e received a neg rep point for my post regarding the way this thread way heading. IMHO i thought my post or any other post referring needed to be said. To say my post was a form of bullying is either hear nor there. For every 1 negative received against 7 positive reps for. If people have issues with other geeks IMO they should not be aired on threads.

Iv'e said my peace and apologise to SArah for diverting this thread. :hug:

mamma said:
If people have issues with other geeks IMO they should not be aired on threads.

Isn't that why someone sent you a neg rep? So it wouldn't be aired on a thread? Don't worry about it, it's only a red blip!:hug:

mamma said:
Iv'e just noticed that iv'e received a neg rep point for my post regarding the way this thread way heading. IMHO i thought my post or any other post referring needed to be said. To say my post was a form of bullying is either hear nor there. For every 1 negative received against 7 positive reps for. If people have issues with other geeks IMO they should not be aired on threads.

Iv'e said my peace and apologise to SArah for diverting this thread. :hug:
Don't let it get to you Mamma. If you can't take it back...........you shouldn't dish it out. I got one neg rep for my post on this thread but like you I got several pos reps.

Very often things we say in writing are taken out of context. I am guilty of saying things tongue in cheek and then getting in trouble for it.

For my wedding...we bought Tesco ready made celebration white iced cakes...three of them in three different sizes and bought pillers and my mother in law who is a florist made little fresh flower arrangements to go on each one and lo and behold a 3 tier wedding cake.

The best thing was the cake stand....I couldn't afford to buy or even to hire a cake stand...so I bought a very deep siler cake tin...turned it over and decorated with cream ribbon and trails of ivy and made my own cake stand!!! No one could have guessed!! The cake looked beautiful with red rose, freesia, and bear grass in the arrangements, and it looked like it had been professionally made!

My mum makes a wicked Galaxy cake. It's just chocolate sponge and smothered in melted Galaxy. So I'd probably have a Galaxy wedding cake.

Hi I am getting married in April 2007 congratulations to you I bet your really excited and happy to share your fab news I was too :) Yous hould join hitched .co.uk there is a free wedding forum on there where you can ask lots of wedding related questions you will get lots of ideas for your wedding from there too. Enjoy your planning.

Loo xx:D

My husbands Nan made our wedding cake (well actually her husband did - but i don't think he wanted anyone to know that:biggrin: ).

He/She made us two different sizes fruit cakes, i got a bride and groom figurine and then a man i know at work, his Mrs iced it for us and stuck love hearts all over it. All in all it cost us £40 and it was lovely.

if i can find a picture i'll try and post it later - v simple but lovley.

Latest posts

Back