Wedding venues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The marquee in a field idea is lovely. We went to one, (yes, I know I'm beginning to sound like a professional wedding crasher!), in a farmer's field. The farm belonged to our friends, and the groom was their son.
It took a lot to prepare the field, difficult to get it flat enough for a good floor, and marquees can be quite a price.
They hired portable loos, had a restaurant from Manchester to prepare paella on site, and had an ice-cream van arrive with music going. It was another brilliant do.

My brother in law had a country church wedding with the country traditions, and a horse and trap which took them up the hill to a marquee in the farmers field too. Gorgeous.

In the Chester area you might want to look at Chester Zoo for something unusual, although I don't know the prices, or the Guildhall in the centre of Chester.Used to go every week to dance classes there, beautiful sprung floor, quite gothic in style. We hired it once for a party, reasonable rates, your own catering arrangements, and they staff and run the bar. It was a few years ago though, so check.

Oh, and I forgot. We lived across the way from a little church that was very popular because it was in a village with a lake. We used to sit out on a bench on Saturdays and people watch when they had at least 3 weddings a day. We always joked that we could get dressed up and mingle with the crowd and help ourselves to the refreshments they set up outside the church.
Some of the guests got confused at which wedding they were.

I can't really help sorry but just wanted to say good luck! I hope you find somewhere nice.

We're not engaged yet or anything but we are planning on eventually getting to it and getting married. To me though - I'd rather have a big lovely honeymoon and a small, cheap wedding - than a massive big day.

I am fairly selfish though hehe!

Hiya,

I'm not from your area so I can't help you with venues but being a weddings photographer, I can tell you that ain't of my brides save a lot of money by holding a civil ceremony somewhere and then having the room converted into a reception party. Usually this is done in hotel and stately homes. You can also hire out community halls and also sports halls in some places. To be fair you can organise a lot of it yourself. Some of my brides and the bridal party go out their way to put a kitty together to do all the decor and little details themselves. Get yourself on Pinterest girl! I'm addicted to it lol and there are so many ways to do a DIY wedding job! Also, there are so many alternatives to wedding dresses these days. check out a charity warehouse called Newlife. I cannot explain how gorgeous the quality bridal gowns are yet how CHEAP they are! there's so many options available to organise a half decent wedding without breaking the bank.

I disagree about a wedding day being just one day to waste your money. it's one day many people hope to do only once with someone they believe is their soul mate. It's the union of 2 families and a joyous occasion for people to share a milestone moment. YOU should make YOUR wedding a memorable event however you wish to. It doesn't have to be massive, only filled with people who genuinely give a hoot about you and your happiness to celebrate however you wish! I say this because being behind the camera I see so many emotional stories unfold and it's my responsibility to capture it. I once had a Groom whose father was terminally ill with only weeks to live. He went all out to make sure if it was the last thing he ever did for his dad it was to have ALL his loved ones surround him on a happy occasion and to have his dad see him marry and continue his father's surname. I was a blubbering mess of course, I don't cry at all at weddings but this was too much.

You will make it work however you decide to do your big day!

All the best!

x HelloSORRISO x

I'm guessimg the prices you are being quoted are Saturday prices. Ask them what their weekday prices are. You could get married on a Friday for less than half the price!

Steph xx

I actually hate going to weddings. It's for sheep. Following and conforming. Couldn't think of anything more boring than lavishing attention on a pair of egotistical so and so's who think that everyone will be awed by their "fantastic day". No one gives a hoot. Honestly, it's true! They couldn't care less, except the parents. Everyone else is out for a freebie. Save your money and do something you both really enjoy together.

I refuse to attend them. I've turned 3 down this year already.

From the ever cynical and "say it as it is"

MM.

There. Now ducking for the bullets.

P.S £18,000 for one day?

Memories and pictures to treasure for ever? After 3 years of marriage those pics will be in the loft. I don't know anyone who's been married for more than 3 years talk about or reminisce about their wedding day. It's long gone and over with. More important things to worry about. You'll be thinking of ways to get him seen off.

Absolutely Spot On.... This is the best quote I've read in ages. We have just cancelled our wedding 6 weeks before the day for these reasons...

Also GemsGelish...do not buy your dress from Japan for a copy cause it probably won't be very good and you'll be upset when you receive it.

I found a gorgeous dress by Benjamin Roberts and got it off eBay for a bargin off £270!!! Brand new would have cost me £1300 and just getting it altered to my size. I couldn't believe it. I never dreamed of getting one from there but if you think about it loads of people hire dresses as well, so getting a designer dress off Ebay that's been worn once and dry cleaned and you only wear for one day for a few hours anyway - that will save you lot of money!

We've just cancelled our wedding as don't want to spend loads of money on everyone else and probably get a flight to Vegas where I've always wanted to go anyway - May seem tacky to some people but it's what we want : )

Have you looked at your local village halls or village sports and social clubs, there normally very reasonable x

Hiya,

I'm not from your area so I can't help you with venues but being a weddings photographer, I can tell you that ain't of my brides save a lot of money by holding a civil ceremony somewhere and then having the room converted into a reception party. Usually this is done in hotel and stately homes. You can also hire out community halls and also sports halls in some places. To be fair you can organise a lot of it yourself. Some of my brides and the bridal party go out their way to put a kitty together to do all the decor and little details themselves. Get yourself on Pinterest girl! I'm addicted to it lol and there are so many ways to do a DIY wedding job! Also, there are so many alternatives to wedding dresses these days. check out a charity warehouse called Newlife. I cannot explain how gorgeous the quality bridal gowns are yet how CHEAP they are! there's so many options available to organise a half decent wedding without breaking the bank.

I disagree about a wedding day being just one day to waste your money. it's one day many people hope to do only once with someone they believe is their soul mate. It's the union of 2 families and a joyous occasion for people to share a milestone moment. YOU should make YOUR wedding a memorable event however you wish to. It doesn't have to be massive, only filled with people who genuinely give a hoot about you and your happiness to celebrate however you wish! I say this because being behind the camera I see so many emotional stories unfold and it's my responsibility to capture it. I once had a Groom whose father was terminally ill with only weeks to live. He went all out to make sure if it was the last thing he ever did for his dad it was to have ALL his loved ones surround him on a happy occasion and to have his dad see him marry and continue his father's surname. I was a blubbering mess of course, I don't cry at all at weddings but this was too much.

You will make it work however you decide to do your big day!

All the best!

x HelloSORRISO x

Oh my word this has just made me well up! :"( very emotional and so true.
This is a really good idea, hold a ceremony else where then celebrate after. Loveeee Pinterest (I'm a little addicted,) got great ideas for bunting, table decorations and favours. Oww I haven't heard of the Newlife, but def will give it a look. Thank youuu xx

In the Chester area you might want to look at Chester Zoo for something unusual, although I don't know the prices, or the Guildhall in the centre of Chester.Used to go every week to dance classes there, beautiful sprung floor, quite gothic in style. We hired it once for a party, reasonable rates, your own catering arrangements, and they staff and run the bar. It was a few years ago though, so check.

I hadn't thought about Chester Zoo or Guildhall but def have a look at prices etc thank Hun xx

I'm guessimg the prices you are being quoted are Saturday prices. Ask them what their weekday prices are. You could get married on a Friday for less than half the price!

Steph xx

This is so true, I did't realise they upped the price so dramatically. Thanks Steph xx

Also GemsGelish...do not buy your dress from Japan for a copy cause it probably won't be very good and you'll be upset when you receive it.

I found a gorgeous dress by Benjamin Roberts and got it off eBay for a bargin off £270!!! Brand new would have cost me £1300 and just getting it altered to my size. I couldn't believe it. I never dreamed of getting one from there but if you think about it loads of people hire dresses as well, so getting a designer dress off Ebay that's been worn once and dry cleaned and you only wear for one day for a few hours anyway - that will save you lot of money!

We've just cancelled our wedding as don't want to spend loads of money on everyone else and probably get a flight to Vegas where I've always wanted to go anyway - May seem tacky to some people but it's what we want : )

It's not tacky Hun, and your right in affect you do pay for other people...and as long as your happy and it's perfect for you then do it. My brother in law and his girlfriend are in Vegas ATM and said it's amazing.

A friend of mine got hers from japan (the quality wasn't the same) but looked amazing on her. Will have a look though and see what other people are selling. Like you said it's just like hiring from a shop- but a lot cheaper. Thanks Hun and good luck with your wedding xx

Have you looked at your local village halls or village sports and social clubs, there normally very reasonable x

I haven't looked locally (where I'm from- there not the nicest)

But I could look further a field and see what other places have got. Thanks xx

Oh, and I forgot. We lived across the way from a little church that was very popular because it was in a village with a lake. We used to sit out on a bench on Saturdays and people watch when they had at least 3 weddings a day. We always joked that we could get dressed up and mingle with the crowd and help ourselves to the refreshments they set up outside the church.
Some of the guests got confused at which wedding they were.

Haha I would of SO done it-wedding crashes :)

Oh my word this has just made me well up! :"( very emotional and so true.
This is a really good idea, hold a ceremony else where then celebrate after. Loveeee Pinterest (I'm a little addicted,) got great ideas for bunting, table decorations and favours. Oww I haven't heard of the Newlife, but def will give it a look. Thank youuu xx

You're most welcome :) anything else I can think of I will keep you posted with xx good luck!

x HelloSORRISO x

I can't really help sorry but just wanted to say good luck! I hope you find somewhere nice.

We're not engaged yet or anything but we are planning on eventually getting to it and getting married. To me though - I'd rather have a big lovely honeymoon and a small, cheap wedding - than a massive big day.

I am fairly selfish though hehe!

To be honest, that's exactly hat I want- small wedding but family is so big- my dad's side is a typical Irish family with 11children so lots of aunties, uncles, cousins and their families. I suggest to my other half that I'll just invite my aunties and uncles and not my cousins and the list will be never ending. Even with them on the list and question marks on the all the children the list is still big.
Sometimes when I feel I can't please everyone I suggest running away and telling everyone afterwards but then I feel selfish and snap out it. I never thought would be so hard xx

To be honest, that's exactly hat I want- small wedding but family is so big- my dad's side is a typical Irish family with 11children so lots of aunties, uncles, cousins and their families. I suggest to my other half that I'll just invite my aunties and uncles and not my cousins and the list will be never ending. Even with them on the list and question marks on the all the children the list is still big.
Sometimes when I feel I can't please everyone I suggest running away and telling everyone afterwards but then I feel selfish and snap out it. I never thought would be so hard xx

Its your day, do what ever you want. Since I've got engaged everyone has an opinion... Id never voice any disagreement to what someone wants to do for their wedding & thought everyone would be the same. Ive been told 'you cant get married abroad' oh really?! Ha.

Its our day & we will be the ones paying for it. & just have a party when we get back and everyone will be invited.

Xx

Its your day, do what ever you want. Since I've got engaged everyone has an opinion... Id never voice any disagreement to what someone wants to do for their wedding & thought everyone would be the same. Ive been told 'you cant get married abroad' oh really?! Ha.

Its our day & we will be the ones paying for it. & just have a party when we get back and everyone will be invited.

Xx

THEY SO DO!!! Everyone seems to pipe up when you mention "wedding." I thought there was going to be world war 3 with me and my father in law to be when I mentioned maybe to cut down the list we could say "no children" and maybe as my cousins are not invited maybe the cousin on his side who are all coming- there plus one can only be if there married- which my cousin did and it worked. I suggest this manly because one cousin that comes to mind seems to have a different girlfriend every few months- well boy did I get a shouting at, lol. I think he thought I meant no plus ones at all! Wedding dramas ha but I made sure he knew it was going to happen the way me and Matt want it too- not the way he wants. And like you said it's not like there paying for it. I've got to admit it was his suggestion about the field etc so not all bad. But I guess everyone gets wedding fever (even the parents and in-laws) :D xx

The massive family and plus ones etc sounds like a complete nightmare to me. I'm stressing just reading about it. Not just to organise but for your bank account too.

RUN AWAY!!!

Get to a registry office one day, pull some witnesses off the street and then get on a plane to the Maldives. And relax. :Love::Love::Love::Love::Love:

Latest posts

Back