What brand of gel do you use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which brand of gel do you use?

• Biosculpture

Votes: 126 17.8%
  • nsi

Votes: 136 19.2%
  • Akzent

Votes: 69 9.7%
  • Brisa

Votes: 204 28.8%
  • Gel it

Votes: 35 4.9%
  • Star nails

Votes: 36 5.1%
  • Young nails

Votes: 49 6.9%
  • LCN

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • OPI

Votes: 40 5.6%
  • NONE i hate gel!

Votes: 44 6.2%

• Total voters
HI

Sorry girls never heard of Le chat?? well i have seen it mentioned on here recently do you have a website ?? i am always open to new products......

Sassy Hassy said:
Gel can only be cured by activating it with ultra violet light. When you put it under a uv light it activates the photo initiators which is what makes it cure. As they start to react the photo initiators are aggitated and move freely within the gel creating a friction heat or "heat spike". As the gel hardens they are unable to move about freely and so it settles down. Not everyone reacts and it normally passes very quickly. You MUST warn your client before they put their hand in the light that this could happen and if it does that they must remove their hand from the light box immediately.

Things that can cause a more intense heat spike - gel applied too thickly (this is the mai one), clients with very porous nails, clients with very thin or badly damaged nails, time of the month. It is also worse in summer than winter as we unable to tolerate heat as much - think about a shower, you love scorching hot showers in the winter, but would not be able to tolerate one un the summer.

You can almost eliminate it by getting to know your gel. LCN would take about 12-15 seconds for a reaction, so i would get a client to take thier hand out after 10 secs so that as the photo initiators started to react they calmed down before the spike had a chance to get a grip. I find Brisa reacts very quickly, within about 3-5 secs, so I am trying to work out a way to overcome this!

Another way is to apply with 2 thinner layers.

But to be honest it's over so quickly it's not worth worrying about that much.

HTH

You know, Bio gel is the only one I have tried that never gives heat spike.

MobileNails said:
I use StarNail as I have only been taught to use this brand...SHould I mayb try another product? I do find though that 2 of my clients are breaking their nails in a matter of one week...Not sure why why this is happening because I wear gel nails and don't break mine..

I would have a try with other brands. I first started off with Starnails and I found it never lasted and lifted, cracked ect...
I now use bio gel and am trying new brands all the time.
I find bio gel very good, specialy with S gel.

The gel I use isnt listed so I cant take part in the poll :sad:

Little Angel said:
Hi

I had a look thanks, it dosnt say is Le chat a soak off or Buff off gel???

it is a soak off gel.....you have to remove the shine first though ....

I use Akztenz and Biosculpture.

I love the strength of Akztenz and the colours.

Biosculpture is also good for natural nail overlays, but is a bit pricey.

I don't actually HATE gel... I've not yet ventured into it. Any suggestions on which you think is best or what a beginner should try? ANYONE...:eek:

I don't actually HATE gel... I've not yet ventured into it. Any suggestions on which you think is best or what a beginner should try? ANYONE...:eek:

Hi There, I don't know if you have read all 5 pages of this thread but there is plenty of advice and opinions right here that will help you I'm sure :idea:

Hi All,

can anyone tell me can i use gel without primer?????

Hi All,

can anyone tell me can i use gel without primer?????

Not all gels are the same .. it depends on your system ... why is it that you do not know whether or not your system requires a primer??

I cannot tell from your profile if you are even a trained professional?? What system are you using?

Not all gels are the same .. it depends on your system ... why is it that you do not know whether or not your system requires a primer??

I cannot tell from your profile if you are even a trained professional?? What system are you using?
Sorry for not giving enough information, i have just qualified and when i got the gel i was in a rush and forgott about the primer the gel i brought today is called the edge

Well if you forgot the primer, then it means the system has a primer and therefore it is part of the system and should be used. Sorry if this comes across as a bit blunt, but there is no other way to say it. Better get it ordered or you will have problems. If you used it in class then the system requires it.

Hi I Just Got Some Edge Gel But Couldn't See Any Primer Dose It Have A Primer Or Can I Use It Without????

Hi I Just Got Some Edge Gel But Couldn't See Any Primer Dose It Have A Primer Or Can I Use It Without????

Most gels, with the exception of Biosculpture/Calgel/Akzentz options will need a 'bonder' yes.

If you dont use a bonder it will just lift off.

amb x

In other words you are using this system/product without having trained to use it. NOT a smart move in my humble opinion.

I use two systems - I absolutely love both Calgel and Akzentz

I've just had a look on the BeautyForNails.com website and there's no mention of a primer.
I'm surprised that you're not aware as to whether you need it or not having just qualified! Might be better for you to double check with your supplier or educator re the need for primer before using the gel on clients.

I'm newly qualified and have been using Profile gel since I started. I get good results but the gel does tend to crack occasionally and not last as long as my l&p. Want to give Brisa a go but can I try it with my proile lamp before I splash out on the Brisa one? I know you're supposed to use the lamp that goes with the system but I'd hate to spend all the money and then not have any difference.

any comments??:lol:

Latest posts

Back