what did you used to do before nails/beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadie

Reaction score
Just been thinkin, what did you geeks used to do before nails or beauty??? i mean, accountancy, childminding etc etc etc??

i went to uni before this to train to be a teacher but i dropped out after 3 months to do this.

Who's next........

I was a full time mummy but before that i worked in a special needs school and trained in childcare..

I worked for 14 years in an office environment - progressing from Office Junior to PA to the MD and then promotion sideways to running a training facility teaching WP skills to other secretraries.

Then for reasons best known to myself I gave it all up and trained as a nursery nurse. At the end of my training I discovered I was pregnant with twins and as the time went on and the girls were nearing time to go to school I looked for something else to do.

I had always cared for my own nails and thought I could do it for others and fit it around my family. This is what I did LOL.

:) I worked as a Sales Rep for Nestle Rowntree for 6 years then left to have my little boy, when he was 2 I sadly had a stillbirth which prompted me to re evaluate my life, i wanted a job i had passion for and i have always had so much passion for the beauty industry, and have always always wanted to work for myself.....so here i am halfway into my training, have made decsion to train further so as to be a beauty therapist as opposed to a nail tech alone....am halfway through my divorce and in my new house and have just started seeing a new partner!!Yep.....big changes for me!!:) :)

I was a car mechanic x x x

I was/am a full-time mummy, before that I was a line manager for a bank.
I got into this as I was looking for something to do for myself outside of the children and came across the NVQ2 nail course for my local college.

Luckily for me it's hopefully something I can work in around my kiddies when they start school and I can be my own boss.

I was a veterinary nurse, then had the kids then a hotel receptionist which I still do 2 days a week.

I was a financial consultant before but that nearly drove me 6 foot under, so I wanted to change to something else! I went into Personnel initially, but knew it wasnt going to be long term, until I re-trained in the beauty industry!

I was a full time mummy, but before that I was a dental nurse and loved it but then children came along and I retrained doing a job I love whilst they were little.

I sold Victorian/Edwardian/Art Deco interior fireplaces/doors/fixtures and fittings.... all aspects of Architectural Salvage and regularly visited other reclamation yards and used to love mooching around Antiques fairs!

I have even knocked on someones door once to remove a set of beautiful iron gates, when they had put them in the skip :irked:

I've done quite a few different things, I got bored easily! I still do!

I've worked in a garden centre, in retail (hated it!), on a farm, as a PA/care assistant to an old lady who lived near me (amazing job!), and as a groom. I still groom now, but unpaid for friends, and they return the favour :green:

Whats a groom?

i was a stay at home mum and before that i was....IN THE NAVY............ YOU CAN SAIL THE SEVEN SEA'S pmsl( more like the gosprt ferry for me)

A barmaid
then a mummy
then domicillary care and terminally ill
then nights in residential care
then fed up with slaving my guts out and not being appreciated decided i wanted to work for myself!
I would still like to incorporate into my business a service for people who ordinarily wouldn`t be able to have tretments because of their circumstances (making it possible for all) !!
Thats me anyway xx

this is really interesting, every1 seems to be from different backgrounds and yet we all ended up here!! do you wish you came to this industry sooner?

this is really interesting, every1 seems to be from different backgrounds and yet we all ended up here!! do you wish you came to this industry sooner?

Yes I do wish I did this sooner as I would be further ahead than I am now, but I also believe that if I was meant to this sooner then I would have done.

We are not required to do this until our time is due!

I do and had the chance when i left school to go to Champneys and train (daddy was going to pay for it)!!
BUT i was a strong minded gal with a boyfriend i adored and chose to move out at 16 and settle down............its funny i`m sure it`s always been in my blood!! I have no regrets though as i have my children.....i don`t think daddy dear would pay for it now though!!! xx

mummy to three, still doing that jugglin act, oscars 4 months, aisha is 2 1/2 and mia is 4 1/2, bless 'em. prior to kids i worked in the wines and spirits industry, advising people on wines and aspiring to be a female, black oz clarke!

Pa to MD of Haagen Dazs (put on half stone in 2 weeks!!)
PA to architects in Camden Town
2 kids (now 11 and 9)
Uni to train as a teacher - realised I didn't like being around kids 24/7!
Then Bio Sculpture nails. As Oey says - it was the right move at the right time and I've never looked back. I do find it hard juggling clients and kids during the hols, but they are pretty understanding (my children and clients!).

Latest posts

Back