What did you want to be when you grew up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
I mean, not all of us entered beauty. (Includes hair as well) straight from school or even thought about hair, nails or beauty as a viable career choice until later.

Also, if you weren't in beauty now, what would you like to be doing if the opportunity arose?

I always wanted to be in the police force, but waaayyy back in 1989 when I left school in Hampshire, being 5' 2" and having corrected vision (even with contacts), I had no chance, so just 'got on' as I didn't know what else to do.

As for now, if I wasn't in beauty, I would love to be an actor. On stage, tv or film. I'm not fussy, lol!

What about you?

Xx

Last edited:
I would have liked to have been a helicopter pilot but that wasn't an option on "career day"! :cry:

Great thread!
Years ago we had very litle careers' advice, just a 5 minute meeting with a Careers' Officer. Also, I went to a girls' grammar school and we were channelled into very narrow choices. I said that I wanted to be a teacher or a nurse and on the basis of knowing me for 5 mins was told I was too quiet to be a teacher- huh!-.........so I became a teacher ! I studied Drama (fab) and English (a great subject made boring by poor teaching) at college. I then taught for many, many years and ended up as a headteacher.
I love being in beauty now. In my dreams I'd like to be writer......I have 3 books in my head......but will I ever do it?

Great thread!
Years ago we had very litle careers' advice, just a 5 minute meeting with a Careers' Officer. Also, I went to a girls' grammar school and we were channelled into very narrow choices. I said that I wanted to be a teacher or a nurse and on the basis of knowing me for 5 mins was told I was too quiet to be a teacher- huh!-.........so I became a teacher ! I studied Drama (fab) and English (a great subject made boring by poor teaching) at college. I then taught for many, many years and ended up as a headteacher.
I love being in beauty now. In my dreams I'd like to be writer......I have 3 books in my head......but will I ever do it?

They say There's a book in everybody you should just go for it good luck xxx

I wanted to be Doris Day....

When i was little i wanted to be a vet because of loving animals but soon found out id have to put them down and it lost its appeal lol. Then when i left school i wanted to be a tattooist or interior designer, but my careers advisor pushed for an ICT course, so did this (gnvq) and there were no jobs when i finished! Theyd pushed so many people to do ICT there were more people than jobs!!

I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up...:eek:

Not sure what I wanted to do when I grew up, but my youngest wants to be the toothfairy, her friend at school told her she cant.....because she hasnt got wings to fly...........:green:

Not sure what I wanted to do when I grew up, but my youngest wants to be the toothfairy, her friend at school told her she cant.....because she hasnt got wings to fly...........:green:

That is too cute!!!! Bless their little hearts :)

I wanted to be a vet for ages, got to career day and they told me I'd never make it, charming! Meant I actually ended up not wanting to, didn't work very hard at all and couldn't do it even if I tried. If I went back to do a levels again now I probably could but learnt more in a&p in beauty than I ever did a level biology :/ love beauty now though :) x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Yeah. 'Careers advice'. Really? If you were a girl you could do teaching or nursing, if you were a boy, you could be a policeman or go in the Navy!

Do you think the careers advice people wanted to be careers advice people when they grew up? Lol! xx

I wanted to be a history teacher , a nunn or a social worker

I did none :)

Great light hearted thread

I wanted to be a shoe designer! Shame I didn't think up that famous red sole!!

I wanted to marry simon le bon, i even told my careers officer....... who was less than impressed............. one day simon, you will be mine!

he he... still giggling about Simon Le Bon!!!

I wanted to be Lucinda Prior-Palmer...

I too wanted to be a police officer, it was the only thing I wanted to do.
I told this to the careers officer and was told at 5.3 3/4 that I wasnt tall enough so get on with it.
I was then offered nursery nursing or catering as an option, why, because the local FE college was joined onto the school and it was the 2 main courses.

couldn't think of anything else to do so opted for catering.

A few years later I heard that the height restrictions had been lifted so I applied for the police and after trying to get into 4 different districts and getting so far in the tests and failing because I wasn't aggressive enough (perish the thought), I finally put that baby to bed.

Discovered complementary therapies and FOUND MYSELF!

I also have a few books to write in later life, one is a novel (have already started) and the others are text books for therapists.

I wanted to marry simon le bon, i even told my careers officer....... who was less than impressed............. one day simon, you will be mine!

hehe I wanted him too but look at him now!:eek:

I wanted to be a hairdresser but guess 'I sort of' acheived my wish, still hair but 'different' places.

xxxxxxxxx

These are great guys! Keep them coming! :D

Xx

haha i love this..

i wanted to be a lollypop lady.. i had a party for my 21st and the theme was "what you wanna be when you grow up?" had a room full of vets, postman pats, racing car drivers and wrestlers... hilarious theme for a party.

I still want him.... lol

Fab party idea Coull cuts!

I warned to be a lorry drover when I was really young then as a teenager, an interior designer or architect .... Or a hairdresser! I achieved my dream :) and wouldn't be in any other industry for the world x

Latest posts

Back