What do you all think of the Search facility?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shedunlop

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the Search facility on here and what you use it for.

I use it regularly just to have a read on a particular subject. If I want to know something I tend to want to know it now so I sit down with a cuppa and a couple of chocolate biscuits and have a good old read. It is amazing what you can learn from so much past information as well as the most recent stuff.

So, what do you all think? Do we use this wonderful resource often enough? :D

depends what you want to search for - i actually use google & type in for instance best foundation for weddings salon geek - gets more accurate results! and i do search loads!
:D

If I need to check up on a particular topic I always so a search before posting a question. Its great, as nine times out of ten someone has already asked the very same thing, or you end up finding another related bit of info that is just as interesting!:D

I love the search facility (although may be guilty of not using it as often as I should!).

Some subjects come up so often you only need to skip back a few pages but if it's something random I do a search and usually voila!

I use it a lot! I've recently been searching all the threads on nail wraps as I'm thinking of offering this service soon. I just wanted to see what people say about various brands, what sort of problems or issues people have (if any), and what's good about each different brand! It's brilliant really and it helped put my mind at rest that I have chosen the right product for me and my business (I had something in mind to start with).

It's been invaluable, and what I can't find in the searches - I ask on the forums and more often than not, I'm sorted!

Sheila... this is so weird *do do do do do do do do (twilight zone music)

I was just thinking I should start a thread about the search facility and you've pipped me to the post... literally :lol:

Well I LOVE the search facility and use it often, but unfortunately it seems a lot of Geeks aren't sure how to use it and don't even know it's there.

It's SO important when starting a thread that we name the thread properly... so if you have a question, say about your gel lifting... you should just call the thread "Gel lifting.. can you help?" (or something like that)... instead of "Help me, I don't know what to do"

This is a teaching site, so remember, your thread will not only help you and answer your question, but it will help others, so when someone else is having a problem with lifting, they will use keywords in their search like "gel" and "lifting".. but if you've called your thread "help me" they won't be able to find the answers to their questions.

The Mods on Geek are always very busy behind the scenes working away without any of you knowing and sometimes have to re name a thread for this reason.

So come on Geeks... help them out! :biggrin:

Ha ha ah ha! Great minds think alike eh?

There is just so much information there and as said one thing leads to another. Even with all my years in the industry there are things I learn from reading through the threads. :wink2:

Ha ha ah ha! Great minds think alike eh?

There is just so much information there and as said one thing leads to another. Even with all my years in the industry there are things I learn from reading through the threads. :wink2:

I agree... I learn something new on here every day!! :biggrin:

I love it, I use it lots :biggrin: the search facility has been a godsend really, if it wasn't for it then I would have no doubt flooded the entire site with threads from myself and cause u all to lose the will to live :lol: so far i have never had to start my own thread 'yet', but I did post about searches on a different thread a while ago and from the replies it does seem that some things don't actually come up but hey ho more to be asked and more to be told and more to read :biggrin:

I posted the other day that the search function wasn't working for me (turns out it was a problem on my end) so I do use it a lot :)

I use it before I have a question to ask as I hate to see the same thing asked time and time again myself, when just a few seconds research could give me the answer.

I have a couple of thoughts about EE and male back waxing and plan to use the search facility before I post something that has already been covered 20 times.

With forums in general, sometimes I think it is just down to not knowing about the search facility or being lazy and hoping someone else will do the work for you.

I would love to see the Search button flashing on and off all the time!

Or an option when you start a thread 'do you really want to start this thread?' and the search button is right there

Sorry that's probably a bit mean!

I LOVE it ! The search really is a fab tool ,
I use it Allot! , when I first joind the site I think I only posted about 3 times in the first year , but I came on allot to search and read what ever I could,

At that time I didn't feel that I knew enough to really contribute and be of much help to anyone and I never had questions as they wear all here after a quick search.

But now thanks to all the reading and the fact that salon geek is a living evolving community I feel I've grown with it and can now answer questions and help others.

I do wish more people would search , not just to slow down the repeditive questions but also because there is sooo much info here even old techniques we can still learn from and maybe even use with modem twists . It's a shame if people don't look at the older stuff , it will turn a bit like the blind leading the blind IYSWIM

I have to say i wouldn't be doing what I'm doing today if it wasn't for the search facility :) I've learnt so much already and that's mainly down to the search facility. Salon geek is my Google on all things nail related.

I think it's a shame the boards are being clogged with repetitive questions I'm a newbie on here and even i find myself becoming frustrated lately.

The search facility is one powerful tool. It also means instant access to already answered questions in a much as posting a question can sometimes take time to be answered or get going however the search facility enables me to have my questions answered quickly and effectively.

We are a forum at the end of the day so questions do need to be asked otherwise it wouldn't be much of a forum lol but really as my first sentence says i wouldn't be doing half of the fantastic things from product knowledge to training advice to setting up a business, if the search facility wasn't available.

I love nothing better than a steaming hot cup of coffee a cig and my doggie at my feet and a quick search and bingo a library full of helpful advice, hints, tips and more pops up on screen. :)

I love this idea.

I think a happy medium with most things is the way to go.

A little search .. A little posting

I'd hate to see the site just turn into all guests searching and no members and no community. :sad:

Geek search is a powerful tool and so are people's EYES :eek:
The only thing that really gets my goat, because it is so bloomin idle, is when people don't even look st the forum pages first before posting a question that has been posted recently and is often on the same friction page! Now that really is lazy. :biggrin:

Last edited:
i use the search facility a lot - in fact i think i have only ever started a few threads wanting to ask a question because I generally mooch about until I find the answer. You get a lot of results come up for most questions :D

Have to agre Geeg - seeing the first page with 10+ topics all asking the same thing in a roundabout way can get frustrating lol xx

I LOVE it ! The search really is a fab tool ,
I use it Allot! , when I first joind the site I think I only posted about 3 times in the first year , but I came on allot to search and read what ever I could,

At that time I didn't feel that I knew enough to really contribute and be of much help to anyone and I never had questions as they wear all here after a quick search.

But now thanks to all the reading and the fact that salon geek is a living evolving community I feel I've grown with it and can now answer questions and help others.

I do wish more people would search , not just to slow down the repeditive questions but also because there is sooo much info here even old techniques we can still learn from and maybe even use with modem twists . It's a shame if people don't look at the older stuff , it will turn a bit like the blind leading the blind IYSWIM

Totally agree with Mizzy here! I too use the search function a lot still, even after being here for four years or so, there is a mine of wonderful information which even if it is a few years old, is still relevant and invaluable.

Sometimes I do have to dig a little deeper to find what I actually need, so maybe have to word my phrase a bit differently to bring up slightly different results, but I always get there in the end :biggrin:

JMO. xx

Great thread Sheila :biggrin:

Morning all,
I just thought we could do with having a read through this thread again as it seems like the search button isn't getting a lot of love lately!

I appreciate that some newbies may not know about the search facility and it is a wonderful resource so it's a shame not to use it.

You can guarantee that 9 times out of ten your question has been asked and answered before, sometimes on the same day!

So please, before posting another, 'which spray tan/ facial range/lamp is the best?' type question, do a wee search first and if you still have queries, then post :idea:

Happy searching :hug:

I agree with An*Gel. The title of the post is important for the search facility. I use it, but feel we could help it to be better if we chose our words for our titles with this in mind.

Latest posts

Back