What makes you stand above your competitors?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collin

the original not the fake
Premium Geek
Reaction score
There is such a diverse range of therapists on this site which makes me wonder ??.

No matter what your chosen field of expertise is...what is the main attribute you have as a therapist which makes you better than your competitor.

Secondly do you maximise these attributes when marketing yourself and your business and if so how?

I'd say one of my greatest attributes is responding to emails really quickly...:wink2:

There is such a diverse range of therapists on this site which makes me wonder ??.

No matter what your chosen field of expertise is...what is the main attribute you have as a therapist which makes you better than your competitor.

Secondly do you maximise these attributes when marketing yourself and your business and if so how?

Once seen..never forgotten??:lol:

• being approachable
  • making each treatment a bespoke treatment if the client wishes it to be
  • keeping those who wish to be informed, informed, monthly newsletters, mobile alerts for spare appointment slots
  • answering queries by email
  • keeping my website current (hate it when you go onto a website and its not been touched for 6 months)
  • not being overly friendly

HAHA ... my PINK smart car, I think for me the main thing is the image of my mobile beauty business the way it looks to people/clients... pink car, signrighting, logo, brochure iv researched local salon and there not a patch on mine and there salons! the way i look & also how good i am at the treatments. All the product ranges i have gone with are what i believe in.

I never rush my ladies, or wang the wax on there eyebrows and throw them out lol after ten min, i offer a personall service and talk my ladies through everything and to a degree i am also there councilor and always a good listner.

In my area as far as i am aware i am the only one that offers intamate waxing, the nearesr is sheffield and derby that do what we call a true hollywood.

My people skills have played a big part in where i am today :hug:

I also never rush my clients, I listen to them and I always remember what they've told me so when they come back I ask them things and they are always shocked that I remembered!! I also have a very bubbly personality and like to have a giggle, which alwyas helps when you're offering such an intimate treatment ie: intimate waxing.

My personality and humour....and skill of course.

I find being fabulous helps!

Joke.

I try to offer each of my clients a very individual & personal service. I also try to remember what they tell me about themselves, so I can remind them/ask them how it went etc. I also strive to be the best I can & they know it.

I've spent many years in advertising & dealing with & meeting people from all walks of life. It really helps.
I am very down to earth & I don't make a person feel uncomfortable, everything is so relaxed - people tell me they really enjoy & look forward to coming to see me. I think it's lovely that they do.

I'm very easy going & laid back. But they are a little more wary of showing me their nails if they've been naughty! My client tonight walked in and sat with her hands under the desk - I just asked her how she was & told her I'd guessed she'd no nails left on ( I was joking about her having no nails on!) and she just showed me her enhancement free nails! Then she went on the explain how each one had come off as a result of this or that!

They do get scared of me sometimes! I had a text yesterday from a client who had gone 10 pin bowling FFS! Telling me she'd not damaged a single nail & no lifting - I saw her tonight at our slimming class & they were perfect so I let her off! I'd said....how can you go bowling at the weekend, when you've seen how much effort, blood sweat & tears I put into your nails (this was before she went!):lol:

Provide exceptional service.

Listen to the client.

Customise your treatments, find out what the client's needs and wants are. For example, sometimes I concentrate on extractions during a facial and only have time for a short massage, client gets the choose what is important for them.

Sharing my knowledge by educating the client.

People come and see my big blue eyes and tell me their lives.
OK, sounds stupid or pretencious or whatever, but it is so.
And I don't ask, of course, it's non of my business, but they talk.
Cruel mothers in law, drinking husbands, money issues, crazy neighbours, cheating boyfriends, ghosts and haunted houses, you name it, I've heard it.

Treatment time is all theirs. I'm home based, taking them only when booked. No one in the waiting room, always utmost privacy.

Everyone who comes to me, I want to leave with smile on his face. And they do. Sometimes I feel like it doesn't matter one bit what am I doing, nails, waxing or whatever, because when I'm done, they say, "Oh, I've had such great time with you, thanks. And, errr, yes, nails are great too". Well, they wouldn't be coming if I wasn't good in what I do, but really, I feel like they chose me for me, and not so much for the service. Coz there are dozens of tech within a mile. And some of my clients travel long just to get here.

But I don't get swamped in their bad stories and don't allow it to make me sad or depressed. I just listen to them. Sometimes they get to the solution themselves, because things get clearer in your head when you say it out loud. And sometimes I say something so crazy and ridiculous and they see that being depressed is not worth it and they burst into laughter. So they are feeling better, their nails done, and off they go.

Well, I don't advertise my big blue eyes :green:

You know what I find really interesting about all the replies here are that they are 'best guesses'. Now, I'm not saying any of the respondees are wrong - far from it! BUT how many have actually researched to see if they are right?

Here's a very quick and very easy way to find out: Ask, say, 20 clients to complete a questionaire. On each questionaire are two questions:

1. Name 5 things that you love about visiting my salon

2. Name 5 things that you don't like so much about my salon

(Oh and reward the clients for their time!)

OK, now you've got 60 answers! Type these into word. Each answer as a paragraph. Print these off and cut them into one answer strips.

Now clear some space on the floor and start to group the answers. I.e. I love your coffee - this would go on a group marked 'refreshments' etc.

You might just amaze yourselves with the results! And the best thing is you get to know what you're NOT doing so well!

Good luck and let me know your results! :hug:

You know what I find really interesting about all the replies here are that they are 'best guesses'. Now, I'm not saying any of the respondees are wrong - far from it! BUT how many have actually researched to see if they are right?

Here's a very quick and very easy way to find out: Ask, say, 20 clients to complete a questionaire. On each questionaire are two questions:

1. Name 5 things that you love about visiting my salon

2. Name 5 things that you don't like so much about my salon

(Oh and reward the clients for their time!)

OK, now you've got 60 answers! Type these into word. Each answer as a paragraph. Print these off and cut them into one answer strips.

Now clear some space on the floor and start to group the answers. I.e. I love your coffee - this would go on a group marked 'refreshments' etc.

You might just amaze yourselves with the results! And the best thing is you get to know what you're NOT doing so well!

Good luck and let me know your results! :hug:

This is a really good idea. I wonder how many of us would have the nerve to do it!? It also relies on the client being honest too, if they were able to do it anonymously it might help..

Well, I did that.

Not in written form you mentioned, but I simply asked them. And got it straight.
Those were 15 clients, my regulars. There's always a possibility that they were just polite so did not say all the things they don't like. But those were pretty honest ladies who said, I'll tell you, Mari, so deal with it :green:

It all started when some of them started to talk how they left some other tech for this or that (bad) reason and became my regulars, because "this and that is so much better at your salon".

I don't ever want to trash other techs and stopped that conversation, but used that as a starting point to ask further:

2. Now that you said all of this nice things about me, be honest: what is it you don't like here? Is there anything about my salon (space), my appearance, my approach, my service? What would you like to see changed?

3. What other services would you like to get here done and I don't offer them yet?

Well, answer about the things they like was pretty much in my previous post. They liked me and the quality of my service.

What they did not like - they said I'm too slow with nails, and that they would have come more often for infills if I was faster. Now that was pretty true, because it took me 2 hours to do nails and I thought my clients don't mind... but... that made me think. And made me speed up to 1,5 h or less!

And last, they said, we would like to get waxed here, massaged, false eyelashes... so I added waxing and it's 60 % of my income now!

Last edited:
Well, I did that.

Not in written form you mentioned, but I simply asked them. And got it straight.
Those were 15 clients, my regulars. There's always a possibility that they were just polite so did not say all the things they don't like. But those were pretty honest ladies who said, I'll tell you, Mari, so deal with it :green:

It all started when some of them started to talk how they left some other tech for this or that (bad) reason and became my regulars, because "this and that is so much better at your salon".

I don't ever want to trash other techs and stopped that conversation, but used that as a starting point to ask further:

2. Now that you said all of this nice things about me, be honest: what is it you don't like here? Is there anything about my salon (space), my appearance, my approach, my service? What would you like to see changed?

3. What other services would you like to get here done and I don't offer them yet?

Well, answer about the things they like was pretty much in my previous post. They liked me and the quality of my service.

What they did not like - they said I'm too slow with nails, and that they would have come more often for infills if I was faster. Now that was pretty true, because it took me 2 hours to do nails and I thought my clients don't mind... but... that made me think. And made me speed up to 1,5 h or less!

And last, they said, we would like to get waxed here, massaged, false eyelashes... so I added waxing and it's 60 % of my income now!

Absolutely fantastic....its not only our best attributes we need to focus on but if we can take on board constructive criticism and listen to what our customers say we do wrong that will make your business a successful one.

Well done Marie for taking the step to ask your customers :hug:

Thanks, Collin :)

Latest posts

Back