What part of the enhancement procedure do you feel most unsure about?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main area is perfecting my smile lines, especially the corners. I just can't get them looking anything like I would want them to look. Not nice and crisp and clean.

I've read Sams tutorial on million dollar smiles many times but my brain, hand and brush just aren't linked together properly.:D

Yes I understand hun sometimes it is better to actually see something done than try to explain but I'll have a go..
Using your white powder place a ball on the form at fee edge, push this with the belly of your brush so its even on both sides.
Form the sidewall by creating a line from the nail groove on each side.
Use a smaller bead at each side just off centre. Push the product down to the side and blend forward then draw the side in with the tip of your brush...going from the centre to the side on each side.
Have I said the word side enough in this? :lol:
I just hope it makes some sense??

ok so i'm reading form placement and i have read it tqwice and i'm confused can some one explain the channel groove i never learned that I'm not sure what the picture is pointing to it look like the i don't know how to explain it
I believe that it's the line that the nail follows when growing... you know when your natural nails are longish, and then you break one, there's an indent on the skin of your finger where the nail 'was'... that's the growth channel as far as I'm aware... hopefully someone will put me right if I've got it all wrong :wink2:

OH Thats what i'm doing wrong So if that isn't bult upon correctly your stress line is all off?

It's to ensure the 'flow' of the nail is correct... that in turn will affect where your apex is placed, if the sculpting form isn't positioned right then the whole nail will be 'out' and the strength will be compromised.

I adore sculpting. Brisa is a dream to sculpt with. My only problem is still with the forms and I often get a 'ledge' on the underside of the nail where gel has seeped under the form. I still need to tailor my forms better.
But man that little ledge does my nut in!

Sandi thank you so much!!!! i'm going to try it later

Sandi thank you so much!!!! i'm going to try it later
Let us know how you get on... :D

I was taught form fitting by Glynis (Peter Pan), it was all done by being shown visibly, there's nothing quite like being shown how to do something first hand, however, seeing pictures and reading tutorials etc can go a long way towards getting it right, we all learn differently and what works for one person doesn't work for the next person :hug:

Ok so could you come to New York And Help ME!!! PLEASE!!! I did ask nicely...lol

I'm having a strange issue with the center part of my free edge getting filed flat. It's only on my nails and it has to be something with how I'm holding my file. And it's barely noticeable on my RIGHT hand but wicked on my LEFT. This is even stranger because I'm RIGHT handed so it's when I'm using my proper hand.

S

I STINK at oval or almond shaped nails, getting each side equal or balanced, if that makes sense?
I'm so accustomed to squares as that's pretty much all we do in Quebec.. that my 2 odd birds (more maturea clients, and one is European and HATES squares) suffer with imperfect almonds:cry:

I'm getting better, but not as fast as I'd like.

I STINK at oval or almond shaped nails, getting each side equal or balanced, if that makes sense?
I'm so accustomed to squares as that's pretty much all we do in Quebec.. that my 2 odd birds (more maturea clients, and one is European and HATES squares) suffer with imperfect almonds:cry:

I'm getting better, but not as fast as I'd like.

I have a few ladies that have oval and I often play around trying to get the shape right far too much!!

I find that turning the hand over and double checking the shape you have created from the underside helps................if that makes sense! :)

Sometimes you can look too much. :eek:

Let us know how you get on... :D

I was taught form fitting by Glynis (Peter Pan), it was all done by being shown visibly, there's nothing quite like being shown how to do something first hand, however, seeing pictures and reading tutorials etc can go a long way towards getting it right, we all learn differently and what works for one person doesn't work for the next person :hug:

Minkus..(Amber) showed me how to fit a form right...basically i was trying too hard and getting in a tiss...once i relaxed about it i was fine. She showed me how when looking at the fitted form from the side...if it dips down then open the wings that stick around the top of your finger more....(so they are further apart)....if its going upwards then brings the wings closer together....it worked for me.

for me the area where i have the most problems is where my pink and white meet, i'm pretty happy with my smiles they are nice and crisp but i'm finding that the are awhere they meet is a little weak.
a client had a couple snap off after a few days, when i inspected them its just the white that had gone.
thing is i try to keep the nails proportionate so the white isn't down too low, the nails i'm doing now look longer and elegant but seem to be a bit weaker, does that make sense, not the best explanation sorry:rolleyes:

ok ....i still get a bit of lifting sometimes at the cuticle....this is because i hate filing zone 3....dont want to hurt cuticle....so i feather it like christies nails do.... angie has told me best file but i have not recieved mine yet....any other help ...files how you all do it would help and how do you lot not make the cuticle bleed when filing zone 3.....is it the angle of your file????
thanks in advance xx

just come across this thread so this may have been answered the same as what im gonna say.........:eek:

you say you get lifting at the cuticle.........

normally the answer to this is......have you prepped correctly etc etc. anyway im not gonna say that :lol: cos im presuming you ARE doing this correctly
but give you my way of applying l/p at the cuticle area (zone 3) and zone 2 ..when you apply the product to zone 3, with your brush, use a "wiggle" as you apply it, i know this might be hard to get but try to picture this.

product placed at cuticle area
with your brush, press it, then very slightly wiggle your brush (its like "scrubbing" your product into the nail plate)

hope that made sense

:hug:

for me the area where i have the most problems is where my pink and white meet, i'm pretty happy with my smiles they are nice and crisp but i'm finding that the are awhere they meet is a little weak.
a client had a couple snap off after a few days, when i inspected them its just the white that had gone.
thing is i try to keep the nails proportionate so the white isn't down too low, the nails i'm doing now look longer and elegant but seem to be a bit weaker, does that make sense, not the best explanation sorry:rolleyes:

have you tried back bobbing flower, then apply clear BEFORE you apply your pink - this keeps the whites nice and crisp.

when mine break, its just the whites that snap off too flower, which is something i like, means i dont have to do a full nail again (just re-apply the tip) think you (and me) may be applying product TOO THIN. best suggestion for that would be - build thicker whites at the smileline, tho i still find it hard to do.......:hug:

practise , practise and some more practise hun.....alot of people do the reverse application aswell cos they say there smiles are better and crisper and easier...i will find it for you xx

Young Nails templates/video
hope this helps xx

i do my own nails with this technique - and get brill smile line (nice and deep) cos i like those

what file do you use sandi???? i do make zone 3 thin !!!! xx

I too use a "used" abrasive for zone 3...makes my life sooooo much easier and I can now get zone 3 nice and flush...at the moment I am using desinger nails black grit boomerang ones...they litrally just swish along the cuticle area so naturally , although sometimes I use my koala.
I also try to get it as flush as possible with my brush first, by doing it a similar way to glynis..
I angle my brush so the handle is pointing up towards my chin..and then sort of pat and gently wiggle the bead into place

Thanks Judy - next time i practice this I will get this tutorial back out.

I printed off all of the tutorials relevant to me and I keep them in a ring binder...in plastic wallets ...easy to grab and use whenever I need..
handy hint no 1 lol ..you will be glad you did it :lol:

Now to me and my problems lol....how long have you got !!!
I'll start with my whites....ok..smiles Im getting there..but I can't seem to get the "cheese wedge" shape ...I usually end up with an enhancement that is overal too thin,,
or a flatt-ish apex...its driving me bonkers.

If I reeeeealy take my time I can do a lovely shape nail enhancement....but I dont always have the time ...and I get so bloomin angry when I have done a set I know I could have done so much better,
OOOh also I tend to a lot of the time when sculpting. It seems to me that I have done the white thick enough at the smile...yet when I come to refine
I can see natural nail underneath...if client has free edge already there..
mostly in the corners at the sidewall....but if i do it any thicker It will be too thick ...hellppp me please :hug:

it seems easy enough but i always you know what with silks. not one nail but full sets of things. besides the fact that i freeze when the client sits in my chair-dont forget that helpful tid bit.

have you tried back bobbing flower, then apply clear BEFORE you apply your pink - this keeps the whites nice and crisp.

when mine break, its just the whites that snap off too flower, which is something i like, means i dont have to do a full nail again (just re-apply the tip) think you (and me) may be applying product TOO THIN. best suggestion for that would be - build thicker whites at the smileline, tho i still find it hard to do.......:hug:

thanks for your reply hun, i think you're right about them being too thin, when i fixed this particular clients i did build them a bit thicker, one question, whats 'back bobbing' and do you mean to build the clear right up onto the sculpted tip, sorry still fairly new to nails, thanks again
:)

I too use a "used" abrasive for zone 3...makes my life sooooo much easier and I can now get zone 3 nice and flush...at the moment I am using desinger nails black grit boomerang ones...they litrally just swish along the cuticle area so naturally , although sometimes I use my koala.
I also try to get it as flush as possible with my brush first, by doing it a similar way to glynis..
I angle my brush so the handle is pointing up towards my chin..and then sort of pat and gently wiggle the bead into place

I printed off all of the tutorials relevant to me and I keep them in a ring binder...in plastic wallets ...easy to grab and use whenever I need..
handy hint no 1 lol ..you will be glad you did it :lol:

Now to me and my problems lol....how long have you got !!!
I'll start with my whites....ok..smiles Im getting there..but I can't seem to get the "cheese wedge" shape ...I usually end up with an enhancement that is overal too thin,,
or a flatt-ish apex...its driving me bonkers.

If I reeeeealy take my time I can do a lovely shape nail enhancement....but I dont always have the time ...and I get so bloomin angry when I have done a set I know I could have done so much better,
OOOh also I tend to a lot of the time when sculpting. It seems to me that I have done the white thick enough at the smile...yet when I come to refine
I can see natural nail underneath...if client has free edge already there..
mostly in the corners at the sidewall....but if i do it any thicker It will be too thick ...hellppp me please :hug:
hi emmsy, IMO cos u are focusing on running short of time, you may be losing your focus on brush angles. keep calm and if a client has to wait then so be it. Give it a try and hopefully i may be correct. xx

Latest posts

Back