What products do YOU recommend people avoid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
There are many skin treatments, spot creams... lotions and potions for everything that are sold to the oblivious and cost quite a bit of money...

.. is there anything you have used in the past that just doesn't do what it says? Or have you had bad results with something that cost alot of money?

JD mentioned you could wax the floor with Pantene Pro V... and you can see such a plasticcy shine in it when you put it in your hand...

... but what else is over-hyped?

I would have to say that Clearasil is awful - I spilt a bottle of the blue stuff over a cabinet when I was a bit younger and it stripped all the paint off it. That was in the late 80's though.. .so I wonder if it has changed much!!!

There are many skin treatments, spot creams... lotions and potions for everything that are sold to the oblivious and cost quite a bit of money...

.. is there anything you have used in the past that just doesn't do what it says? Or have you had bad results with something that cost alot of money?

JD mentioned you could wax the floor with Pantene Pro V... and you can see such a plasticcy shine in it when you put it in your hand...

... but what else is over-hyped?

I would have to say that Clearasil is awful - I spilt a bottle of the blue stuff over a cabinet when I was a bit younger and it stripped all the paint off it. That was in the late 80's though.. .so I wonder if it has changed much!!!
Just goes how we all differ on opinions because I love Pantene pro V,sometimes I put the conditioner in my hair the night before,leave it in and wash out the next day and my hair feels wonderful.

What can suit one dosn't always suit another and vice versa,so I wouldn't necessary tell someone to avoid,unless it was from Ebay lol

Baby shampoo, very alkaline, terrible for coloured hair.

Anything thats not sold from a reputable salon:eek: :!: LOL

Those awful cleansing wipes - but my daughters still used the wretched things :irked: . And the other product that I think is very over rated is the Clinique skin care range, although I do like their makeup. It is actually very harsh IMO, the clarifying lotion particularly so, and the soap bars have a pH of about 9 and the skin is about 4.5 - 5.5 :eek: :eek: !!!!

Those awful cleansing wipes - but my daughters still used the wretched things :irked: . And the other product that I think is very over rated is the Clinique skin care range, although I do like their makeup. It is actually very harsh IMO, the clarifying lotion particularly so, and the soap bars have a pH of about 9 and the skin is about 4.5 - 5.5 :eek: :eek: !!!!

the clarifying lotion is great for getting marker pen off things.... say no more

Actually you are right there Sassy,I know several people who have said the same thing about Clinique being harsh and drying,never used it myself and dont intend to.But again,lots of peeps like it so guess it suits some.

I dont rate shampoo and moisturisers 2 in 1 and the same goes for cleanser/toners.Cant see how they can do a good job.:eek:

Those awful cleansing wipes - but my daughters still used the wretched things :irked: .

What's bad about them Sass?? Only I use them to take my make up off at night......:eek:

the clarifying lotion is great for getting marker pen off things.... say no more

Marker pen?! :eek:

I might go and get some.. do you reckon it would get Biro off my leather/suede couch?

Actually you are right there Sassy,I know several people who have said the same thing about Clinique being harsh and drying,never used it myself and dont intend to.But again,lots of peeps like it so guess it suits some.

I dont rate shampoo and moisturisers 2 in 1 and the same goes for cleanser/toners.Cant see how they can do a good job.:eek:

Thank the lord theres someone else that doesnt rate the above:!:
I would NEVER use a 2 in 1...although Academie do one and thats different its a salon brand,it least it has tretment benefits and doesnt strip the oils from the acid mantle:eek:

What's bad about them Sass?? Only I use them to take my make up off at night......:eek:

They are usually full of nasty cheap ingredients, very drying and the pH is all out of kilter. I went to a skincare evening a while ago and there was a presentation by Dermalogica. They have a pen that tests the pH of products and so many of them are incredibly alkaline which is very drying and can sensitise the skin. If you can get hold of a book that can translate all the ingredients you will be astounded at some of the nasties we unwittingly plaster on our bodies!

They are usually full of nasty cheap ingredients, very drying and the pH is all out of kilter. I went to a skincare evening a while ago and there was a presentation by Dermalogica. They have a pen that tests the pH of products and so many of them are incredibly alkaline which is very drying and can sensitise the skin. If you can get hold of a book that can translate all the ingredients you will be astounded at some of the nasties we unwittingly plaster on our bodies!

Cheers hun! So, I'm better off using a cleanser....? I use a face wash from Lush in the shower every morning but the wipes were easier for taking my make up off before bed......

Cheers hun! So, I'm better off using a cleanser....? I use a face wash from Lush in the shower every morning but the wipes were easier for taking my make up off before bed......

Yes you are better off using a cleanser that is suited to your skin type IMO! to find the right one you would be best to have a facial in a good salon when the therapist can get a hands on feel of your skin and recommend products that are right for you. Pro products may seem more expensive to start with, but you need to use so little each time that in the end there's probably not much in it price wise!

I found the Clinique very harsh, I had to mix it with water.
Also Ive read and heard a lot about johnsons baby products being too harsh for babies.
AND using baby oil for baby/adult massage isnt recommended as it blocks the pores.
Well, theres my tuppence.xx

I found the Clinique very harsh, I had to mix it with water.
Also Ive read and heard a lot about johnsons baby products being too harsh for babies.
AND using baby oil for baby/adult massage isnt recommended as it blocks the pores.
Well, theres my tuppence.xx

That's not very good!! I swear by Johnsons baby stuff for the babies as they are reported to be so mild... etc etc.. they do a gorgeous Lavendar bubble bath and bath gel. Is there anything milder you can get? I have never noticed any problems on the babies though with the stuff.

Baby Oil just sits on the skin doesn't it? Horrible stuff but I used to use it on my legs to make them shine and feel smooth when going out in a skirt.

Argh tell me now why don't you!! I stocked up on the J*****ns ones last month when they were on buy one get one free in a major supermarket!! lol xx

This is a bit long, but here is what I try and avoid where possible. The main ones I try to avid are parabens and SLS.

I use products called Paul Penders at the minute which has none of these in them. I've looked up alot of these on the net, because I don't take what training manuals say etc to heart. Some of this is a bit scary.

Please don't take this as me preaching, I just think it's interesting to know. I wonder how many of these I've put in my body over the past 33 years??

The following are a small sample of the potentially toxic ingredients used in cosmetic products:

Preservatives

Imidazolidinyl Urea:
Chemical formaldehyde forming preservative, most commonly used one after methyl, propyl and butyl parabens. It can cause contact dermatitis according to the American Academy of Dermatologists..

Methyl/ Propyl/Butyl/Ethyl Parabens:
Preservatives that inhibit the microbial growth to extend shelf life of products. May cause allergic reactions, skin rashes and kill the intestinal flora so vital to the cleanliness of the intestines. They may damage health by inhibiting the vital action of natural enzymes in your cells. Recent research suggests parabens could act as a foreign hormone-like substance and cause a host of problems including cancer.

Stearal Konium Chloride:
Chemical preservative. Used in hair conditioners and creams. Causes allergic reactions. Limited use to 0.1% of finished product and must carry statement, ‘Avoid contact with eyes’.

Triclosan:
The latest range in the arsenal of antibacterial chemicals. Triclosan is included in deodorants, cosmetics, lotions, crams and toothpaste. It is registered as a pesticide. Triclosan is a chlorophenol; a class of chemicals suspected of causing cancer in humans. Externally it can cause skin irritation. It is stored in the body as fat and can accumulate to toxic levels, damaging the liver, kidneys and lungs.

Mineral Oils

Paraffin:
Colourless, distilled from coal, petroleum or shale oil. Makes cheap products and can cause skin irritations and eczema. Paraffin is not absorbed by the skin like olive oil. Therefore paraffin has no specific benefit or value to skin care.

Petrolatum:
This is commonly used in lip balms, hand and skin care products to form a moisture barrier. It clogs the skin, keeping it from taking in oxygen and releasing toxins. Highly acne producing. May contain carcinogens. May slow down normal cell development which in turn can age the skin. Can cause sun sensitivity and chapping (which are the very problems they are supposed to prevent).

Propylene Glycol:
Humectant/solvent. Propylene glycol can penetrate the outermost layer of skin cells and carry other ingredients into deeper layers of the epidermis. This is a strong irritant. A cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. Material Safety Data (MSDS) warn users to avoid skin contact with PG as it can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage. May be harmful by inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption. Other effects may be gastrointestinal disturbances, nausea, headaches and vomiting. The molecular weight of PG is 60. Ingredients with a molecular weight of 75 and below enter the blood stream.

PVP/VA Copolymer:
Cancer suspect. Used widely in decorative cosmetics. A petrolatum based ingredient. Same effects as petrolatum.

Emulsifiers & Foaming agents

Sodium Laurel Sulphate / Sodium laureth sulphate:
Used in almost any kind of industrial cleaning agent and as a detergent, surfactant and foaming agent. Widely used as a major ingredient in cosmetics, hair conditioners, toothpastes and about 90% of shampoos. SLS is rapidly absorbed into the body and retained in the eyes, brain, heart and liver, which may result in harmful long-term effects. SLS could retard healing, cause cataracts in adults and keep children’s eyes from developing properly. Studies have shown that washing your hair just once with a shampoo containing SLS could put as many nitrates in your body as eating a pound of bacon.
Molecular weight is 40 and thus will enter the blood stream.

SLES can be contaminated with a very potent carcinogen; dioxin and is very easily absorbed through the skin. It is slightly less irritating than SLS but may cause more drying.
Both SLS & SLES cause potentially carcinogenic formations of nitrates and dioxins to form in shampoos and cleansers by reacting with other product ingredients.

Triethanolamine( TEA), Monoethanolamine(MEA), Dietanolamine(DEA) :
Also known as: CocamideDEA, DEA-cetyl phosphate, DEA Oleth-3 phospate, Stearamide MEA, Cocamide MEA, Lauramide MEA, OLeamide DEA, TEA-Laurel Sulphate.

These chemicals are emulsifiers and foaming agents, widely used in cosmetics and skincare. They are eye irritants. DEA is easily absorbed through the skin and accumulates in body organs including the brain. Animal test show that some of them cause damage to the liver, kidney, brain, spinal cord, bone marrow and skin. Contact with the eyes can cause impaired vision.

Bleaching agent

Hydroquinone:
Used in low-priced and lower quality bleach and freckle creams and lotions, as well as in hair dyes. A dangerous chemical that causes death when only 5 grams is swallowed. As little as one gram reportedly causes nausea, vomiting, delirium, sense of suffocation and collapse. Workers who are exposed to this chemical in manufacturing suffer clouding of the eyes. Animal tests show that it causes bladder cancer. In African countries, where products are still being sold that contain a high dose of hydroquinone, report an alarming increase of skin cancers. Several countries have banned hydroquinone all together, while in some countries, hydroquinone can still be used at 2% maximum dosage only.

Synthetic Colours

FD& C colours:
Researchers in Japan and USA found several FD&C colours to be carcinogenic and, the FDA admits areas of concern and can not guarantee 100% safety to consumers. Why was it that several FD&C colours needed to be withdrawn from lipsticks and eye shadows? Yet, women around the world still literally "EAT!" health hazards in huge amounts; they are consumed on a daily basis, over an entire lifetime. Think a moment about all this.

Coal Tar:
Thick liquid tar obtained from bituminous coal containing benzene, xylenes, naphthalene, phenol and creosol. A main concern of the FDA is that coal tar causes cancer in animals (and people). Also, they are a frequent source of allergic reactions. The FDA ruled in 1992 that it has not been shown to be safe and coal tar also is not effective for some stated cosmetic claims. Most FD&C, D&C, C.I. and aluminium lakes are derived from coal tar. Many people consider this a hidden health hazard because (mostly) women use lipsticks containing heavy toxic chemicals for up to 18 hours a day. These chemicals make up about 14% of each lipstick in 99% of all lipsticks available on the market today.

Synthetic Perfumes

Dibutyl Phthalate:
An endocrine disrupter found in nail polish, perfume, hair spray and other products. Endocrine disrupters reportedly interfere with the normal functioning of the body's hormones by either blocking the body's natural estrogens or acting like an estrogen impostor. Synthetic hormone disrupters have been linked to a reduction in sperm in men, impaired thyroid function, breast cancer and other ills. It is used as a solvent and fixative. It makes our skin absorb creams, but it is so easily absorbed by the skin, it accumulates in the fatty tissue, and doesn't wash out of the body. Linked with testicular cancer.

Talking of Johnsons has anyone noticed the change in their baby lotion? It now has a slightly more gel like texture and it actually stings my skin..my daughters too...never did before. I first noticed this while in Germany and now it is appearing in some shops here.

I have always found this, throughout my teens my best friend used it as a make up remover and it soundly removes mascara too - try it! You'll be surprised. I have found it nor more like Gel now than I did years ago - it congeals around the lid.

I used to use it to remove make-up as it was quick BUT it does sting.

Clinique again I'm afraid...that yellow moisturiser has given everyone i know spots....!!!...even Rob and he never gets spots.

Haven't used it since...

Just goes how we all differ on opinions because I love Pantene pro V,sometimes I put the conditioner in my hair the night before,leave it in and wash out the next day and my hair feels wonderful.

What can suit one dosn't always suit another and vice versa,so I wouldn't necessary tell someone to avoid,unless it was from Ebay lol

the reason why you (and many people like you!) like how pantene pro v makes your hair feel is because it coats the hair in a plastic like substance leaving the hair looking shiny and feeling soft but it's actually not nourishing the hair from within, thats the difference between high street and professional brands. Even though high street is cheap, i always think you have to pay for quality. Same goes with skincare as you know!:green:

The products i avoid are Clinique, and any products with Lanolin. Lanolin is sheep sebum, put in products to give them a silky texture. Some body shop products contain lanolin.

xx

Latest posts

Back