What products do YOU recommend people avoid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not very good!! I swear by Johnsons baby stuff for the babies as they are reported to be so mild... etc etc.. they do a gorgeous Lavendar bubble bath and bath gel. Is there anything milder you can get? I have never noticed any problems on the babies though with the stuff.

Baby Oil just sits on the skin doesn't it? Horrible stuff but I used to use it on my legs to make them shine and feel smooth when going out in a skirt.

Oh the things we do for beauty Cadencealex:!:
I have a piont to make,why would we EVER use a seperate babys product anyway?
I necver did when i trained as a nurse,and now im forever putting elemis skin nourishing milk bath on all the babies i know:green:

the reason why you (and many people like you!) like how pantene pro v makes your hair feel is because it coats the hair in a plastic like substance leaving the hair looking shiny and feeling soft but it's actually not nourishing the hair from within, thats the difference between high street and professional brands. Even though high street is cheap, i always think you have to pay for quality. Same goes with skincare as you know!:green:

The products i avoid are Clinique, and any products with Lanolin. Lanolin is sheep sebum, put in products to give them a silky texture. Some body shop products contain lanolin.

xx
I understand what you're saying but I dont use Pantene pro v all the time,I use Redkin products.Just love to give my hair a real boost,plastic coating or not,every so often:lol:

For those products that you find dry your skin out?..ever wonder why?
Manufacturers way to get you to buy more of it just in case you could be fooled into thinking it is your skin not their product that is causing the dryness and for goodness sakes..gotta get more..got to use it longer to get the benefits they advertise of that youthful glow you can get by using thier products.

I seriously am starting to doubt 99% of the products out there. They just don't deliver. Erase those wrinkles...Deep line wrinkles also..Is there really a product out there that will reverse aging? Besides botox? and surgery!

For those products that you find dry your skin out?..ever wonder why?
Manufacturers way to get you to buy more of it just in case you could be fooled into thinking it is your skin not their product that is causing the dryness and for goodness sakes..gotta get more..got to use it longer to get the benefits they advertise of that youthful glow you can get by using thier products.

I seriously am starting to doubt 99% of the products out there. They just don't deliver. Erase those wrinkles...Deep line wrinkles also..Is there really a product out there that will reverse aging? Besides botox? and surgery!

IMO no products will get rid of lines and wrinkles but also remember not many brands actually claim to "get rid of" wrinkles they actually say "reduce the appearance of" wrinkles. Which alot of them do, the good quality products do "reduce the appearance of" wrinkles and fine lines temporarily.

IMO no products will get rid of lines and wrinkles but also remember not many brands actually claim to "get rid of" wrinkles they actually say "reduce the appearance of" wrinkles. Which alot of them do, the good quality products do "reduce the appearance of" wrinkles and fine lines temporarily.
Yes my sentiments exactly,prevention is better than cure.:green:

NEVER EVER use sun in on your hair (thats if they even make the stuff anymore!)
DO use Nimue products though, I have to admit that the difference in my skin has been amazing in the last few weeks.
nimue skin technology

...Also Ive read and heard a lot about johnsons baby products being too harsh for babies...
Absolutely true IMO, I found the baby lotion made my first newborn squeal when I put this stuff on his skin, needless to say I have'nt tried it on his younger brothers.
The baby oil is petrolatum based, which is not a good thing (see FifilaFume's excellent post!).
So I would definately not recommend their stuff. :irked:
This sounds gross, but I also would'nt recommend anti-perspirant, it causes cysts in the armpit & is full of nasties!
(I now use a crystal deoderant which is simply a type of salt, which when applied stops pong causing bacteria developing! It really does work!)

For the pen on the seatee try nail polish remover:)

I also can't stand clinique and cringe if a client tells me they use it. I used to use it to remove my nail varnish (the toner). The cleanser stripped my skin of all moisture and the moisturiser, as someone else said, made me spotty. Now nice. Now i use Sothys, and really love all they're suff. xx

I have to agree with the Clinique thing. I once heard of a therapist who went on the Clinique training course to become one of their counter girls, she was told to forget everything she'd learned at college!:eek:
As for baby stuff, I used to use Infacare baby lotion, much kinder than Johnsons, but I'm not sure if it's still available. Also check out the Aromakids range.
Search Results - Search

I remember being advised by my midwife not to use Johnsons products because they are too harsh and strip the natural oils from the babies skin.:irked: Especially as all of mine had eczema.

I have to agree with the Clinique thing. I once heard of a therapist who went on the Clinique training course to become one of their counter girls, she was told to forget everything she'd learned at college!:eek:
As for baby stuff, I used to use Infacare baby lotion, much kinder than Johnsons, but I'm not sure if it's still available. Also check out the Aromakids range.
Search Results - Search
My jaw dropped when iread this...how can you be told to forget everything you learnt at college?:irked:

Oh well thats another brand struck off the hit list for me:lol:

this may sound silly (i have been known to be ignorant at times) but as far as hair goes (shampoos etc) how can you nourish something that is dead IE: HAIR, surely products can only smooth/fill up/mask/cleanse/cover up (make it feel better, not nourish as such), as anything beyond the root is dead.
I'm not a hairdresser and don't profess to be one, but you will get questions like this when you get nails, hair, skin geeks together.
And just like many techs in here, there will always be those that stand by a particular product.
I was under the assumption that we weren't supposed to slag off other products ......

That's not very good!! I swear by Johnsons baby stuff for the babies as they are reported to be so mild... etc etc.. they do a gorgeous Lavendar bubble bath and bath gel. Is there anything milder you can get? I have never noticed any problems on the babies though with the stuff.

Baby Oil just sits on the skin doesn't it? Horrible stuff but I used to use it on my legs to make them shine and feel smooth when going out in a skirt.

Both of my sons (neither have sensitive skin) both developed rashes when the were babies if I used Johnson's......... don't know why?
I used Earth Friendly Baby products instead and swear by them. Here's a link: earth friendly baby - bath - kittykins
It is so nice. Really gentle, smells great and is organic too.
Not the point of this thread I know!
OK. I would not recommend Neutrogena (sp) shampoo as it made my scalp burn so bad, I wanted to cry!!

I remember being advised by my midwife not to use Johnsons products because they are too harsh and strip the natural oils from the babies skin.:irked: Especially as all of mine had eczema.
Yup, mine said the same and that was 21 years ago!

this may sound silly (i have been known to be ignorant at times) but as far as hair goes (shampoos etc) how can you nourish something that is dead IE: HAIR, surely products can only smooth/fill up/mask/cleanse/cover up (make it feel better, not nourish as such), as anything beyond the root is dead.
I'm not a hairdresser and don't profess to be one, but you will get questions like this when you get nails, hair, skin geeks together.
And just like many techs in here, there will always be those that stand by a particular product.
I was under the assumption that we weren't supposed to slag off other products ......

Wood is dead, but we still use polish, beeswax ... even creosote outside to nourish and protect it. The same goes for nails and hair ... and even skin! It just keep everything supple.

NEVER EVER use sun in on your hair (thats if they even make the stuff anymore!)

yeah they sill sell it - i learnt from that mistake in my teens!! thought id get lovely blonde hair like it says on the box - no i got an orange patchy mess xx

yeah they sill sell it - i learnt from that mistake in my teens!! thought id get lovely blonde hair like it says on the box - no i got an orange patchy mess xx

snap- and thats exactly what my hair did after i used it, me and 3 of my mates when we were teenagers, it made our hair like straw

read with interest about the clinique range, i have family member who started a few years ago using all their stuff, and i have always wondered a) how she affords it and b)why she uses it as her skin is very dry and flaky looking at times and i think looked better before she started using it, now i know why, wonder if shed listen to me if i tried to tell her though,
xxxxxx

Me too all my hair snapped off and took years for it to grow back!

Me too!!!! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back