What products do YOU recommend people avoid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard too many bad things about Clinique to even want to try it.
I avoid any skincare that's got alcohol in it, even though I have oily skin.
I also try and avoid nasty chemicals as far as possible. There are some good quality natural, plant-based skincare ranges around if you look hard enough. I'm sure the same goes for body care and hair care too.

Personally Dove Shampoo and Conditioner just makes my hair like a frizz bomb for some reason! And to me it smells to soapy

I use TIGI Brunette Goddess Shampoo and Conditioner, and the difference is staggering! Whether my hair is dead or not it looks fab!! I will never use Tressemme on my hair again, my scalp had a terrible reaction to it, as did my hubbies!!

I to will never use clinique, but I have to say I am guilty of using face wipes to remove my makeup at night!

I use Oil of Olay as moisturiser.

I use Bio Oil and Solar Oil on my face before I go to bed.

As for baby skin care, I never used Johnsons, I used a brand called Aveda I think not the hair people, it was organic, and really good for sensitive skin!

Why is Lanolin so bad? I was looking at the products in my babies shampoo, and that is in it.

Why is Lanolin so bad? I was looking at the products in my babies shampoo, and that is in it.

Quite a few people are sensitive to it, so you are more likely to get a reaction to it than other products.

Those awful cleansing wipes - but my daughters still used the wretched things :irked: . And the other product that I think is very over rated is the Clinique skin care range, although I do like their makeup. It is actually very harsh IMO, the clarifying lotion particularly so, and the soap bars have a pH of about 9 and the skin is about 4.5 - 5.5 :eek: :eek: !!!!

Agree completely about Clinique, they say that if it stops tingling then go on to the stronger one.:irked:

Quite a few people are sensitive to it, so you are more likely to get a reaction to it than other products.

Ahhh I thought it was good as it was soothing? Isn't that what La Leche nipple cream is made of? Costing a fortune! For breastfeeding mums

lol you could always try rubbing your nips on a really sweaty sheep , it wouldnt cost anything , lmao !:lol:
i wouldnt touch any 2in1 things coz in my eyes they are all pants , pantene just coats your hair in silicone and they reckon if you use it long enough your hair will be all lank and awful looking. i know when i did hair we had loads of people with terrible hair from using the stuff , coz it had just come out and everyone thought it was great
clinique i think is very strong , my sister has really sensitive skin and they told her that it was really good for it , it made all her face sore , needless to say she took it all back and got her refund !!

Its a drivative from sheep the coat of the sheep,and can cause allergic reactions.
Its a very inexpensive product to use ,but i thought today many companies now dont use this

ooops la la,i see that Sassy and others have answered that already ,sorry:smack:

Its a drivative from sheep the coat of the sheep,and can cause allergic reactions.
Its a very inexpensive product to use ,but i thought today many companies now dont use this
it's also pretty amazing stuff, sheepshearers hands are very soft due to lanolin. Cheaper stuff is often cast aside when someone states they have found something better (and sometimes it's the truth). Different things suit different people, what may suit some, may make others break out in spots.

I think it's quite odd when you look at the ingredients in cosmetics (sometimes the ingredients baffle the best of us, eg:Tocotrienol) but often if you look up the name you will find that ingredient is just a scientific name for a quite common ingredient (or a particular plant/natural extract).

The impressive names do exactly that (impress us), eg: proanthrocyanidins (ya gotta love a big, long name).

When in doubt, slander/heresay comes in useful.

Even though product patents are in place,many cheaper product lines copy the main ingredients of the (designer products), sell them for 80% less, all the designer products can do in retaliation (after all they are the ones spending big bucks on RSD) is slag off the cheaper products.

This is not always the case of course (but it does happen) Often it's difficult to patent a product when it's ingredients are basic,common, or few. Hence the massive list of ingredients in many products (of which some ingredients do very little, but help establish patent).

It is difficult to get a man/woman to understand something when his/her salary depends on his/her not understanding it ... Upton Sinclair

I went to Las Vegs last year, and sods law; I had the biggest spot throughout the whole holiday..
Whilst there, there was so much hype abut this revolutionary skin care range for acne called 'pro active'. I ordered it on the net as soon as I got back and paid about £50 for the kit, and no exaggeration, I have NEVER had skin even close to as bad as it was whilst using it..
I was so upset, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and used them for a few weeks thinking my skin would get worse before it cleared up to reveal this amazing complexion.. But no!! I was so angry. They claim it works on everyone, but it just made my skin break out so much. I've never been so conscious of my skin!!! Oh, and loads of celebs have used and promoted it.. Jessica Simpson, P-Diddy, etc etc. And now Matt Willis ('I'm a celeb get me out of here' winner, and out of Busted) has said in a magazine a few weeks ago that he has just purchased it as he has always had troublesome skin!!
My skin is fine now but just thought I'd warn everyone and advise against pro active!! xx:mad:

I went to Las Vegs last year, and sods law; I had the biggest spot throughout the whole holiday..
Whilst there, there was so much hype abut this revolutionary skin care range for acne called 'pro active'. I ordered it on the net as soon as I got back and paid about £50 for the kit, and no exaggeration, I have NEVER had skin even close to as bad as it was whilst using it..
I was so upset, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and used them for a few weeks thinking my skin would get worse before it cleared up to reveal this amazing complexion.. But no!! I was so angry. They claim it works on everyone, but it just made my skin break out so much. I've never been so conscious of my skin!!!
My skin is fine now but just thought I'd warn everyone and advise against pro active!! xx:mad:

but they says it's the best on late night infomercials,
P diddy uses it, as do silly blonds singers that think Tuna is some kind of chicken, idols winners and former Miss Worlds that have been botoxed/paraloxed to the point of facial rigor mortise, It has to be the best.......... it just has to be, they wouldn't lie to you ....... OR WOULD THEY ?

P diddy uses it, as do silly blonds singers that think Tuna is some kind of chicken, idols winners and former Miss Worlds that have been botoxed/paraloxed to the point of facial rigor mortise, It has to be the best.......... it just has to be, they wouldn't lie to you ....... OR WOULD THEY ?

Erm couldn't be anything to do with the vast amount of money they get paid for celebrity endorsement could it:rolleyes: ? Nah don't be silly it HAS to work, I mean they say it does, so it must ... mustn't it?!!! :lol:

Well exactly, obviously this was my phase of being VERY gullible!

Erm couldn't be anything to do with the vast amount of money they get paid for celebrity endorsement could it:rolleyes: ? Nah don't be silly it HAS to work, I mean they say it does, so it must ... mustn't it?!!! :lol:

for sure...just like Carol Vorderman who consolidates all her loans with a disgustingly high interest rate making the amount you owe even more than it was to begin with....bless her and she does all this to help people....:rolleyes:

for sure...just like Carol Vorderman who consolidates all her loans with a disgustingly high interest rate making the amount you owe even more than it was to begin with....bless her and she does all this to help people....:rolleyes:

Yeah and like I really believe that Eva Longoria sits there with her multi tonal wand thing and colours her own hair! Maybe this is a subject for a whole new thread!

This thread has been keeping me amused here is an interesting link: Cosmetics Properties :) This is the site it came from: Cosmetics, health and beauty (but once again this site is obviously sponsored by certain brands, so some information may be misleading)

PLEASE dont get me started on infomercials ans shopping tv,why oh why people shop like that is beyond me!:irked:

I think we should have a club for therapists to band together and banish the competition of selling products on tv(which irks me about Elemis:mad: )

KEEP PRODUCTS IN SALONS ONLY!:mad: :mad: :!: :!:

sorry i was venting off steam,too much frowning im doing so ill go and put some more moisture in my skin:eek: :green:

The two biggest products I try and steer my clients away from are Clinique and Pro active. Both are very harsh on the skin and contain too many chemicals that strip the natural oils off the skin, in tern causing a lot of comedomes.

Latest posts

Back