What results have others had from ex MMA/NSS clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
Just interested to know what results and if any problems anybody else has had with clients that have come from NSS/MMA bars.

Ive recently had three,one of which I gave her infills,then a couple of days before her next set was due she phoned me to say she had to soak her nails off as the NSS nails had lifted badly and they were catching on things...it took her 2 hours btw...when I returned to her, her nails were slightly damaged,and so I gave her a clear overlay of Bio Sculpture ,I dont know how she is getting on with them as she texted me the next day to say her mum had passed away,so Im just hoping everythings ok at the mo.

Another client I have has phoned me today....at 8.30am IMA..to say one of the infills I done on top of the NSS nails had popped off ,they were well over due for infills when I first done her and she d actually lost one of her old nails which I replaced and she says is still on ,but the infill that has popped off Im assuming it happened because she had lifting oringinally,and these nails are obviously hard to file down ,I done my best to file off as much off as I could ,but would I be right in saying if I infilled on top of lifting Im assuming thats why it popped off?:rolleyes:

I have another new client too who is due for infills next week and im just wondering if Im going to have the same sort of problems?:irked:

So I just wanted to know if anybody else has had problems when they infill on NSS/MMA nails,and if theyve had clients from there whats the outcome been,and how theyve helped them.I just worry about loosing them as it gets to a situation where you dont want to soak them off because you dont know what damage is underneath...and then theres the worry of wether the acrylic is going to stay on after as their nail is damaged if you do soak:rolleyes:,I dont want to have to say..well grow it out and call me back later when you have done,and ok if I can use Bio on the damaged nails,but then unfortunatly Bio doesnt suit everybody!

:grr: Aw ,its such a frustraing circle,so please can I have your comments guys on what experiances youve had and have you over come them.:hug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya .. I wouldn't have thought Bio Sculpture to work well over possible MMA...I would use a non soak off gel or L&P over MMA.

MMA is rock hard...Bio is very very flexible (as you know) and the 2 just wouldn't work well together.

Even soaking all the MMA off and starting over with Bio might have problems as these clients would be used to the rock hard effect of the MMA and unless you reduced the length significantly they would experience problems with breakages.

I have about 6 ex MMA clients client now and they are doing great...I didn't soak any of them off, i in filled using my non soak off gel and after a few infill's the MMA had grown off and they had just my products left of there nails...i did do them thicker than i normally would for a while and gradually reduced the thickness so they could get used to MY nails.

Hiya .. I wouldn't have thought Bio Sculpture to work well over possible MMA...I would use a non soak off gel or L&P over MMA.

MMA is rock hard...Bio is very very flexible (as you know) and the 2 just wouldn't work well together.

Even soaking all the MMA off and starting over with Bio might have problems as these clients would be used to the rock hard effect of the MMA and unless you reduced the length significantly they would experience problems with breakages.

I have about 6 ex MMA clients client now and they are doing great...I didn't soak any of them off, i in filled using my non soak off gel and after a few infill's the MMA had grown off and they had just my products left of there nails...i did do them thicker than i normally would for a while and gradually reduced the thickness so they could get used to MY nails.

Hi thanks for the reply,no I wouldnt attempt to actually putting Bio on their nails,only if all the MMA/NNS has gone,and my client who I put it on, I did do very short overlays,she did say they looked so stumpy,but I did say its for the best at the mo untill your nails are back to normal.

Im a bit confused as to wether its MMA on their nails or not as theyve had lifting ,all three of them and thats whats causing the prob,its hard to file through and at the same time youve got to be so careful not to hit the natural nail,in which case Ive put L&P over the lifting that Ive filed off to the best I could and now the infills popped off on one of them !!If there definatly MMA nails then Im pretty sure I wouldnt get no lifting from what Ive read on here,but theyve definatly had the drill used on the natural nail.:rolleyes:..HTMSXXX

Last edited:
I have been getting lots of NSS clients who say ' These are awful, can you take them off'

After going through all the chit chat and informing them of damaging prodecures and the results etc etc

I tell the client that the colours wont match as 9 times out of ten their nails are a lovely brown shade.

I file off as much of the old acrylic as I can (and ask them to smell it) lol

Then i either overlay to fill with Birsa gel or L&P with either acrylic white tip or gel tip....And advise to continue this until they grow out...

I advise that my product may not adhere to the NSS acrylic as I do not know what they are using.

The clients I have done are more than happy with the above and they return 2 weekly for maintainence.

I have soaked and buffed a set off for a client who wanted 'Now Nails' and her free edge just crumbled before her eyes.....

I feel it best to leave the NSS acrylic in place, remove all lifting and work with it, rather than soak off.

I advise that my product may not adhere to the NSS acrylic as I do not know what they are using.

Good point hun,I ll make a habit of mention of this in the future.!:hug:

i havent read the whole thread, but had a client in this morning - only to tell me she had been to "a salon that didnt speak, wore masks and used electric stuff to file the nails and burnt her" (her words not mine) took me 2 hours to get those buggers off - thankfully there was no nail damage - i now have an article thing on my desk about MMA and it seems to be a hit, i then getting asked questions, and i am ABLE TO ANSWER THEM, so its working

ps. i dont infill MMA nails either - i get those babies right off

I had a client 2 months ago and also just made sure the nail was sound before i infilled them. I always explain what i am doing and the client surprised as she said that her last tech couldnt answer her questions. She talks loads and asks a lot of questions now and I like that as i think it reasures her that I know my products and she says she has noticed a huge difference in her nails and the experience of her treatment. I also have an article on mma and it always is interesting reading for them.

hi im in australia new here but we have alot of factory nail outleta as i call them .i had the same thing happen and i find now that when i have a new client i always ask where there last fills were if they came from FNO i just remove the lot and start fresh.that way you avoid problems. sometime clients dont understand that haveing other peaple products can cause issues and that the stuff they apply in those places are toxic and like cement thatswhy they dont move thats its yr workor if you have to leave a bit of product on there just let the cient know that if they get lift its from that.good luck:rolleyes:

i'm re-training at college in all nail enhancements ,i qualify in november and booking conversions with CND & Ezflow .i'm getting a bit concerned when it comes to the real thing with so much to do with MMA ,i have a few questions to ask ...will it affect our health when it comes to touching them>? ...do we have to wear masks when doing infills or soaking them off>?..how do we tell a poor "victim" that their nails are badly damaged that they can'nt have new enhancements>?...when your doing new enhancements for an MMA victim and 1 or 2 of their nails breaks away or falls off what should we do >? ..Is there a warning of the dangers sheet or poster available that you can display to your clients about using MMA>? ...sorry for the Q's but just trying to get some info\advice from you girls that has dealt with these so called nail enhancements! ..it's not going to put me off continuing my re-training in gel\acrylic\fibreglass\silk\sculpting nail enhancements ..only because i haven't come across anyone with MMA nails ...except when speaking to neighbours ect..commented on their beautiful nails until they say who did them(NSS):eek:...errr i'd rather stick with my own CND trained nail tech who ive been going to since wearing enhancements myself ..i found this by the geek it was written in 2004 so i'm guessing it's been going on for yonks which i printed off to pass onto some of my clients when they come for manicures\pedicures http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unaturale/2698-mma.html

Last edited:
i'm re-training at college in all nail enhancements ,i qualify in november and booking conversions with CND & Ezflow .i'm getting a bit concerned when it comes to the real thing with so much to do with MMA ,i have a few questions to ask ...will it affect our health when it comes to touching them>? ...do we have to wear masks when doing infills or soaking them off>?..how do we tell a poor "victim" that their nails are badly damaged that they can'nt have new enhancements>?...when your doing new enhancements for an MMA victim and 1 or 2 of their nails breaks away or falls off what should we do >? ..Is there a warning of the dangers sheet or poster available that you can display to your clients about using MMA>? ...sorry for the Q's but just trying to get some infoadvice from you girls that has dealt with these so called nail enhancements! ..it's not going to put me off continuing my re-training in gelacrylicfibreglasssilksculpting nail enhancements ..only because i haven't come across anyone with MMA nails ...except when speaking to neighbours ect..commented on their beautiful nails until they say who did them(NSS):eek:...errr i'd rather stick with my own CND trained nail tech who ive been going to since wearing enhancements myself ..i found this by the geek it was written in 2004 so i'm guessing it's been going on for yonks which i printed off to pass onto some of my clients when they come for manicurespedicures http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unaturale/2698-mma.html

Im confused too hun,I cant answer all your questions ,but I can say I dont wear a mask when filing off,although they say MMA can be really smelly so I dont know ..maybe you might need a peg??:lol:But all the ones Ive had just smell a bit pooey but its bearable.

I normally do wear a cotton glove on my left hand though as the dust falls onto my hand as Im filing,I just wear it in case I get any reaction from the dust.

Im just so confused as to wether to soak them off now or not, I know theres been loads of geeks on here that just infill,its a very awkward situation ,I think from now on if I get anymore Im going to pre warn them,I can infill, but I cant guarantee my product is going to adhere to theirs and the colours could be different,or I can soak off but tell them how long its going to take ,and what the consequences could be and obviously if Im sat there for 2 hours soaking off..thats going to be 2 hours of my time to be paid on top of doing a new set of extensions that I cant guarantee will stay on if their natural nail is damaged.:grr:

Another thing that really confuses me ,I thought MMA stuck like ****,so why do I get clients coming to me with lifting from these nails?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the MMA article,I will print that off,I usually carry a Scratch mag around with me that has an article in it bout MMA and show the clients.

If they are lifting then either its not MMA or its because the salon that did them did not rough the natural nail up as much as others do....in which case the nails wont be in as bad condition as you might have thought....Its not guaranteed that MMA wont lift...the person doing them could be rubbish....:lol:

If the nails are lifting alot then I soak them off and start over....if they are not then I infill them.

Last edited:
it's a bit confusing for me too debbie ..although the peg does come in handy :lol: i passed an NSS a few weeks back and the smell was awful and thats when someone opened the door as i was passing..i did see masks & gloves being worn by the so called techs & the old convere belt scenario The CND nail tech that does my enhancements had one MMA client a while back booked in for a rebalance\infill had that fishy\pooey smell experiance she didn't like it ..had itchy hands and made a point in asking where the client had her nails originally done she just said sat back in her chair looking a bit shocked ...after that client she scrubbed her table down and went a bit OTT with the cleaning & binned her brush for fear of contanimation :eek:she said she would never do any more ex MMA clients & won't waste her time on people that won't listen to advice when theyve been using MMA and know the dangers as it seems to be all over the magazines although this was her one and only MMA referred client she didn't go into much of a debate about it ..i think she was still in shock & disgusted tbo ....we always get into a long conversation about nails & she has given me sound advice to help me on the way to re-train...i think the advice of wearing gloves & mask is a good idea if this ever comes my way but just don't want to look strange and " have i got a contagious disease" look on the face of the client... theres lots of other queries surrounding this aswell like contanimating your own products by dipping the brush in and out of your gels\L&P >?..going to the expense in buying a complete new bulk ect..ect..>?..ive been reading non stop on this subject ..i even quietly conversed with my tutor who advised to avoid NSS like the plague... thanks for that little bit of advice girls just see what the other girls and guys have to say aswell after experiancing MMA clients ..i think the more information we get fed the better understanding we nail techs have.

Last edited:
it's a bit confusing for me too debbie ..although the peg does come in handy :lol: i passed an NSS a few weeks back and the smell was awful and thats when someone opened the door as i was passing..i did see masks & gloves being worn by the so called techs & the old convere belt scenario The CND nail tech that does my enhancements had one MMA client a while back booked in for a rebalanceinfill had that fishypooey smell experiance she didn't like it ..had itchy hands and made a point in asking where the client had her nails originally done she just said sat back in her chair looking a bit shocked ...after that client she scrubbed her table down and went a bit OTT with the cleaning & binned her brush for fear of contanimation :eek:she said she would never do any more ex MMA clients & won't waste her time on people that won't listen to advice when theyve been using MMA and know the dangers as it seems to be all over the magazines although this was her one and only MMA referred client she didn't go into much of a debate about it ..i think she was still in shock & disgusted tbo ....we always get into a long conversation about nails & she has given me sound advice to help me on the way to re-train...i think the advice of wearing gloves & mask is a good idea if this ever comes my way but just don't want to look strange and " have i got a contagious disease" look on the face of the client... theres lots of other queries surrounding this aswell like contanimating your own products by dipping the brush in and out of your gelsL&P >?..going to the expense in buying a complete new bulk ect..ect..>?..ive been reading non stop on this subject ..i even quietly conversed with my tutor who advised to avoid NSS like the plague... thanks for that little bit of advice girls just see what the other girls and guys have to say aswell after experiancing MMA clients ..i think the more information we get fed the better understanding we nail techs have.

Mmm,its interesting to see your tech gets itchy hands when shes dealt with MMA nails,sometimes Ive experianced problems with my hands,I put it down to my monomer now debating it could be the MMA.:rolleyes:As to wearing the mask if you felt you would benefit maybe just say you get asthma and thats why you wear it if you feel you dont want to tell them the real reason.

Thanks Bagpuss for your help,think Im going to do as I said before,and like you say if its lifting then soak it off,just one more question could you give me some idea on how much to charge for soaking a nail off and replacing please or if anybody else can.You can pm me if you like.Thanks.

Hmmm having soaked only 1 set off & seeing the damage I wouldnt soak off unless absolutly necessary.....I would just de-bulk and overlay & advise on care.

Its a hard call to make, personally, for me grow out is the best option, if the client is adamant that she wants them soaked off I charge 12.00 for 1/2 hour then £5 for every 15 mins thereafter for other techs work.

Btw I too get itchy hands when filing it off.

Im confused too hun,I cant answer all your questions ,but I can say I dont wear a mask when filing off,although they say MMA can be really smelly so I dont know ..maybe you might need a peg??:lol:But all the ones Ive had just smell a bit pooey but its bearable.

I normally do wear a cotton glove on my left hand though as the dust falls onto my hand as Im filing,I just wear it in case I get any reaction from the dust.

Im just so confused as to wether to soak them off now or not, I know theres been loads of geeks on here that just infill,its a very awkward situation ,I think from now on if I get anymore Im going to pre warn them,I can infill, but I cant guarantee my product is going to adhere to theirs and the colours could be different,or I can soak off but tell them how long its going to take ,and what the consequences could be and obviously if Im sat there for 2 hours soaking off..thats going to be 2 hours of my time to be paid on top of doing a new set of extensions that I cant guarantee will stay on if their natural nail is damaged.:grr:

Another thing that really confuses me ,I thought MMA stuck like ****,so why do I get clients coming to me with lifting from these nails?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the MMA article,I will print that off,I usually carry a Scratch mag around with me that has an article in it bout MMA and show the clients.
i think the thing to remember here is NOT the smell of the supposed MMA but the risk of actually inhaling the dust particles from it - that is why the techs wear a mask

i think the thing to remember here is NOT the smell of the supposed MMA but the risk of actually inhaling the dust particles from it - that is why the techs wear a mask

my initial thoughts exactly! if they have to wear masks because they know it will affect the respiratory system then it can do same for us..think i will consider seriously wearing a mask and gloves when the time comes.

you should wear a mask, as dust even frpm non MMA system can harm your lungs!

and why you and not your client? because you inhale it all day long...

you should wear a mask, as dust even frpm non MMA system can harm your lungs!

and why you and not your client? because you inhale it all day long...

will do dorie & keep the filter going aswell on table for client

First: dust from MMA is no more harmful than dust from EMA

Secondly: it is not good practice to infill anyone else's nails, MMA or not. This is because:
-you have no idea on the level of nail preparation that went on before the overlay
-different brands of overlays have a different amount of flexibility. Put two together and they will just work against each other.

First: dust from MMA is no more harmful than dust from EMA

Secondly: it is not good practice to infill anyone else's nails, MMA or not. This is because:
-you have no idea on the level of nail preparation that went on before the overlay
-different brands of overlays have a different amount of flexibility. Put two together and they will just work against each other.

I was taught on my first nail course NEVER TO WORK ON TOP OF ANYBODY ELSES WORK,..and I think it is very much true. I think with the problems Im having with an ex mma client ,trying to grow it out,Ive actually got to the point now if anybody new phones me with MMA nails ,I will educate them over the phone,but I think Im staying clear of them in the future.

There is too many complications wether my acrylic will adhere to the MMA,do I soak off or not,filing down the lifting,the dust causing my hands to itch,will the natural nail be damaged if I do soak,will my acrylic adhere to the damaged natural nail...Im going to give them all the advice I can over the phone,but appart from that I aint taking it no further,Id much rather work on a new client with a fresh set of nails,in stead of a set of recked nails.

Latest posts

Back