What should I do? - Bad Brazilian

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskimonailtech

Reaction score
When I was in esthetics school, I didn't learn how to do this. So I've never been very comfortable doing it on myself. I decided to go to a local spa to get it done. It seemed nice and such. They're big on laser stuff there.

Anyways, when my red flags went up, I should have walked out, unfortunately I didn't. They didn't have me fill any sheet out before the waxing. She didn't cleanse my skin before waxing or use any powder. The wax felt pretty hot. She didn't hold my skin taught when applying, or when pulling and finally, she dipped the same disposable spatula back in the wax. And I was under the impression brazilians "normally" include between the buttocks?

Anyways, long story short, it was so painful I almost cried (I have many tattoos AND have had a down-there piercing) and when she was done, I checked and it seemed to be a good job so I left a good tip. Perhaps it was my adrenaline or something, but I really regret that now. I put my after-wax soothing gel on it when I got home and it hurt like a pain I've never felt before. I literally layed in bed with a fan aimed on it for like 3 hours that night.

That was Friday afternoon. It's now Sunday night and currently my labia is peeling. Yes, I took a picture for evidence. I really don't know what to do. I feel so stupid because I'm an esthetician and I should've walked when I went in. And I'm not even as worried about myself. My burns will heal with hopefully minimal scarring. I'm more worried about this service provider hurting other clients who might not know better (even though I should have).

Please help. :cry:

Perhaps make an appointment to speak to the beauty manager about it. They may not be aware that the treatment is being carried out in this way and if you don't speak up it will keep on happening to the next person. It may be that the staff need extra training.

HTH

xx:hug:xx

OMG, what an experience!! I would seek legal advice and definately take the matter further, I personally I haven't covered waxing at college yet but I have been waxed by the older students so know a little and the spa you went to, seems very unprofessional! An if you are practically scared by it and you have pics of the evidence !! Lol where there's blame.....there's a claim as they say! I don't envy you though having to show your pictures to anybody ! Good luck anyway xx

I would make a verbal complaint, and then follow it up with a written complaint and a copy of your photographic evidence. If the burns are still evident now (I don't know how long ago this happened) I would take yourself down to the Dr too just to make sure you're not at risk of infection and to get it on file that you were seen by a medical professional. If they don't respond in a way that you find satisfactory, I would seek legal advice.

It sounds like their girl needs more training, and what you've described is dangerous and unhygienic... Personally I would want compensating (and normally I hate the blame/claim thing but seriously, they could have really done some serious damage and you were very "lucky" if you think you might get away without scars) and I would want an assurance that either they take the treatment off their list or they send their girls on immediate training courses to ensure this doesn't happen to other clients.

(((((HUGS)))))

You need to go back to the salon asap and speak to the manager.

The problem is a lot of salon owners get their therapists carrying out intimate waxing procedures without the relevent training.The therapist will be qualified in waxing so in their mindset they should be able to do Brazillians and Hollywoods,which of course is absolute rubbish.

Intimate waxing is very different to just carrying out a bikini wax,advanced training should be carried out though a lot of salons offer in salon training.However it sounds like this therapist was way out of her league and I think it's important that this is brought to the managers/owners attention before more accidents happen on the poor unsuspecting client.

Holding the skin taut is a basic that any qualified waxer should know so this in itself is very worrying,not to mention that this therapist has burnt you:eek:

In the meantime I would go to your GP and seek medical advice.Hope you make a speedy recovery.:hug:

That's shocking. I agree, you must go back to the salon and speak to the owner or manager especially as it wasn't just unpleasant at the time but you have been injured also.

No waiver before hand and then just going straight in well that speaks for itself!

Its very clear that the therapist wasnt trained in advanced waxing, what really suprises me is the lack of basic care ,cleansing the area and stretching , i have lectured in beauty therapy and its the first thing we drill into the students. Another point is the wax would've had to have been very hot to do that damage or did she go back over the area?
I think the employer has a lot to answer for as well allowing an incompetant therapist do a highly skilled treatment:mad:. I would most definately contact the manager and show her the pics. I could imagine how painful it was for you . Best of luck with it

Its very clear that the therapist wasnt trained in advanced waxing, what really suprises me is the lack of basic care ,cleansing the area and stretching , i have lectured in beauty therapy and its the first thing we drill into the students. Another point is the wax would've had to have been very hot to do that damage or did she go back over the area?
I think the employer has a lot to answer for as well allowing an incompetant therapist do a highly skilled treatment:mad:. I would most definately contact the manager and show her the pics. I could imagine how painful it was for you . Best of luck with it

Thank you ladies for your advice. Some areas she did go over twice however that area, she didn't. I'm still a little sore. There's some discoloration in that area but the skin is so thin that it was peeling off sunday night (got it done friday afternoon).

I'll definitely call and complain tomorrow. Thanks!

You should call and tell the manager and tell them what you've told us. Hopefully, they will then get their staff some good training.

Hope you're feeling less sore soon x

You should go to the doctor so that they can document it and you've got a medical opinion on any damage done.

If a complaint went a lot further someone would always want to know if you went to a doctor to document....... more damage could have been done than you know of.

OMG, what an experience!! I would seek legal advice and definately take the matter further, I personally I haven't covered waxing at college yet but I have been waxed by the older students so know a little and the spa you went to, seems very unprofessional! An if you are practically scared by it and you have pics of the evidence !! Lol where there's blame.....there's a claim as they say! I don't envy you though having to show your pictures to anybody ! Good luck anyway xx

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly the reason that insurance premiums are so high.

What a flippin' attitude. The most important thing to do here is let the salon know what's gone on before calling in the legal rottweilers. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but to think about making a claim when it's obvious that no lasting damage has been done, seems very OTT to me.

The poor therapist obviously hasn't had much/any advanced training and to threaten her with a claim could ruin her career and lead her to a break down.

If it had been me.....I would have stopped her at the get go as soon as I realised that she wasn't any good.

A complaint to manager/owner to see if she offers some treatments as a sorry is a start. Just don't go back there again.

Everyone can say "i would have done this" in the after. But when you're laying there half naked on the table nervous as all heck, you might not feel the same.

I wasn't asking for opinions on what YOU would have done. I was asking how to deal with it because I already know my mistake.

I'm not calling a lawyer. I used to work as a legal assistant. I know what the process is like, and I'm not interested in getting money or ruining anyone's career.

But thanks for the advice.

Everyone can say "i would have done this" in the after. But when you're laying there half naked on the table nervous as all heck, you might not feel the same.

I wasn't asking for opinions on what YOU would have done. I was asking how to deal with it because I already know my mistake.

I'm not calling a lawyer. I used to work as a legal assistant. I know what the process is like, and I'm not interested in getting money or ruining anyone's career.

But thanks for the advice.

No need to get stroppy! You asked for our opinions and we gave them, with good intentions.

So it's been days now......what did you do?

I wasn't "getting stroppy". I asked for your opinions on what I should do after the incident, not what you would have done as I already knew I made a mistake by not walking out and trust me, I paid for it dearly.

I called and left a message with the receptionist and she had the owner call me back and his english was terrible and he thought for some reason that i had had laser kept insisting it was my skin sensitivity and i was like NO SHE BURNED ME WITH THE WAX ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING?!?!?!?!

so anyways, in the end he offered me my next brazilian at no cost. I also mentioned how the girl was double dipping the wooden spatula and he said it was okay because they use separate pots for each client however i am 99% sure she used one big one that was already used. i'm not sure how I feel about going back. I mean even their bowl of pre-epilating powder was sitting open, uncovered. I just dont know.

Sudocream! wonderful stuff, heals babies bottoms when they are really sore and works really fast. Hope you are feeling better and more comfortable. I dont know how I would feel going back to the Salon But as a Therapist I would want someone to come to me if that had happened and I had caused it, just to prevent me doing it to someone else! If you feel you could do it go show her your pics and have a chat, I imagine your main thing in all of this is to prevent the same happening to another person? :hug:

Sudocream! wonderful stuff, heals babies bottoms when they are really sore and works really fast. Hope you are feeling better and more comfortable. I dont know how I would feel going back to the Salon But as a Therapist I would want someone to come to me if that had happened and I had caused it, just to prevent me doing it to someone else! If you feel you could do it go show her your pics and have a chat, I imagine your main thing in all of this is to prevent the same happening to another person? :hug:

yeah, i'm basically all healed up now. i'm not a stranger to trauma there. as i said, i've had a below the belt piercing before. i cleaned it twice a day and put cold packs on it and used aloe cream.

anyways, i thought about going back to her, however i'm not sure how i feel instructing her on the basics of waxing, when she should know the simplest things already. i certainly dont want her to hurt anyone else, but i just can't bear the thought of her not holding my skin taught again while she ripped! ahhhhhh! it makes me sick. i dont want to offer myself up like a test dummy! i can't bear it again.

the whole reason i decided to go to the spa was so i didnt have to do the work myself. I'm actually slowly transitioning out of esthetics right now.

I wasnt suggesting that you tell her how to do her job but maybe just face her with the facts and only the facts that " this is what you did to me and I really think we both would not want that to happen to anyone else so thats the ONLY reason I am here, to let you know what happened." or something along those lines, I wouldnt want her to wax me again either so I dont blame you or not wanting that either hun. At the end of the day it is up to you i you want the salon to be aware of what happened or not, if it happened again they may well face a law suit next time eh?! Hope it wont put you off Brazilian waxing for life maybe just till the memory fades a bit....:hug:

I'm glad you're better now, perhaps you should advise them on what provisions should be in place to prevent this happening again, even such basic things as stretching the skin. If you attempt to take off hot wax (sorry never read all the posts but was it hot wax and not strip?(ouch)) then stretching the skin will help to prevent a lot of trauma and pain. Initially hot wax does make you go "oooooooh" when you first have it applied but if their therapist is not undertaking the procedure correctly they should be re-trained.

On a positive note, well not really positive as you'll see why, the temperature of the wax should be high enough to kill off any bacteria that is present by double dipping. Yes this doesn't get around the "you shouldn't do it" or prevent blood from entering the wax pot, but BBV are very fragile outside of the body. NOW, I am not saying it is ok to do it but if someone does then you should walk out as soon as they do this and say you don't think you should pay or maybe pay for the bit they have done. the thought of this makes my skin crawl but you probably will be ok.

I'm glad you're better now, perhaps you should advise them on what provisions should be in place to prevent this happening again, even such basic things as stretching the skin. If you attempt to take off hot wax (sorry never read all the posts but was it hot wax and not strip?(ouch)) then stretching the skin will help to prevent a lot of trauma and pain. Initially hot wax does make you go "oooooooh" when you first have it applied but if their therapist is not undertaking the procedure correctly they should be re-trained.

On a positive note, well not really positive as you'll see why, the temperature of the wax should be high enough to kill off any bacteria that is present by double dipping. Yes this doesn't get around the "you shouldn't do it" or prevent blood from entering the wax pot, but BBV are very fragile outside of the body. NOW, I am not saying it is ok to do it but if someone does then you should walk out as soon as they do this and say you don't think you should pay or maybe pay for the bit they have done. the thought of this makes my skin crawl but you probably will be ok.

Yeah, it was hot wax with strips. I know how hot wax should be. It was the hottest wax I've ever felt. It hurt as much when she put it on as when she didn't hold my skin taut and ripped.

Regardless of the temp, it's illegal in my province to double dip disposable spatulas.

ANYWAYS. I probably wont go back. and it's weird, but my hair hasn't begun to grow back in the places she burned me, yet it has everywhere else.

Latest posts

Back